Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2012, 07:27 PM

1 posts, read 4,243 times

Advertisements

bkesq- would love to hear what you decided or if you got any other feedback on port chester. We actually looked at a house on Robert Ave in port chester this week as well and are seriously considering it. We are a young couple planning to have children in the near future and are trying to figure out if port chester would be a good fit for us. This neighborhood is very quaint and the new restaurants (bar taco, tarry lodge etc) seem as though PC is improving as a whole. Would love to hear if you ended up in the area!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 07:23 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,556,721 times
I find Port Chester a convenient place to see the movies. Very nice modern cinema with very easy adjacent parking. There are also some great little restaurants for tapas and for peruvian. As for living there - if you're coming from, say, Brooklyn I think you'd be comfortable there. If you're used to a cleaner, more ordered environment, you might find yourself feeling disappointed.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:37 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,470,754 times
I agree with everything that jjinla and Lightning Strike said about Port Chester. The street you are talking about is very close to Rye Brook and is one of the better areas of Port Chester.

As someone who grew up in neighboring Rye Brook, Port Chester used to be (and probably still is) looked down at by residents of Rye Brook or Rye city, because it has more of a working-class image, has more crime issues (though not as much as the larger cities in Westchester) and more minorities than either of its neighboring areas to the north and south. Years ago, before Rye Brook was formed, some residents preferred to say that they lived in the "Town of Rye" rather than to associate themselves with Port Chester. It was because of that desire to be disassociated with Port Chester that the village of Rye Brook was formed.

On the flip side, though, I think that many residents of Port Chester characterize those who live in Rye Brook as arrogant and snooty.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:45 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,470,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanm16 View Post
bkesq- would love to hear what you decided or if you got any other feedback on port chester. We actually looked at a house on Robert Ave in port chester this week as well and are seriously considering it. We are a young couple planning to have children in the near future and are trying to figure out if port chester would be a good fit for us. This neighborhood is very quaint and the new restaurants (bar taco, tarry lodge etc) seem as though PC is improving as a whole. Would love to hear if you ended up in the area!
Tarry Lodge actually isn't a new restaurant; I can remember it being there at least going back to the 70s. It used to be an inexpensive, simple family restaurant largely frequented by the more blue-collar workers in Port Chester. They seem to be trying to be more upscale now to attract the wealthier, young professionals who are moving into the area.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:13 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,627,626 times
I understand that Whole Foods is building a new store in Port Chester. That is always a good sign. Here in Chicago, Whole Foods stores have always been associated with up and coming communities. I have at least four within a short driving distance. One, just a half mile away. They have always had a positive influence.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:11 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,457,992 times
That Whole Foods is being built about 10 feet from the Rye border, and is a "destination" store such as Stu Leonards in Yonkers so their clientele will travel to get to them. As such, it makes sense to go where land is cheap and there is easy access and parking. I'll never truck to WP again once this is built.

Port Chester is getting some hip spots priced out of other locales but I really don't see it gentrifying. I anything it will go the other way since Hispanic populations are going up, not down.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:09 AM
bg7

Whereabouts is the Whole Foods being built?

Old 07-24-2012, 08:56 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,627,626 times
Boston Post Road, just off Interstate 287.

http://www.lohud.com/article/2012021...-former-P-site

Old 07-24-2012, 09:21 AM
bg7

Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
Boston Post Road, just off Interstate 287.

http://www.lohud.com/article/2012021...-former-P-site
That's great news.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:06 AM

1,497 posts, read 4,457,992 times
It's where the old A & P used to be...near Kohls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County