Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 03:04 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,748,916 times

Advertisements

I never know if it's media hype or a real reason to worry...is the storm really expected to hit NYC/Westchester Cty? I'm flying solo with little kids and am nervous anyway...should I bail or is it predicted to be mostly rain? thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 04:05 PM

866 posts, read 2,492,114 times
Saturday might be okay but Sunday is going to be bad, as far as they are saying now. It looks like it's going to hit right around here, but the predictions change frequently and I sure as heck wouldn't want to be flying on Sunday. Good luck to you.

http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/news/story/54098/hurricane-irene-to-slam-into-t.asp (broken link)

Old 08-26-2011, 08:25 AM

10,246 posts, read 15,124,014 times
Just for the record, this happens almost every year. I live further up the coast in Connecticut and can attest that almost every year, there's a hurricane that threatens the area and in the end, all we get is a little rain and maybe some light wind. Nothing to write home about.

Having said that, this one appears to be a little different; but then again, so were the other ones. LOL.

Don't worry too much about it.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:25 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,591,369 times
if you do go, leave the kids behind and confirm your life insurance policy is up to date.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:40 AM

866 posts, read 2,492,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post
Just for the record, this happens almost every year. I live further up the coast in Connecticut and can attest that almost every year, there's a hurricane that threatens the area and in the end, all we get is a little rain and maybe some light wind. Nothing to write home about.

Having said that, this one appears to be a little different; but then again, so were the other ones. LOL.

Don't worry too much about it.
Um, have you been watching the news? I know they like to sensationalize, but still... What's that saying? Better to be safe than sorry???

Old 08-26-2011, 10:00 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,357,426 times
Your flight will probably be cancelled anyway.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:36 AM

1,497 posts, read 4,468,198 times
Good point...good luck getting back home as flights are getting moved OUT of this area in anticipation of the worst.

This is my first hurricane (give me an earthquake ANYDAY over this...no need to be nervous for a week in advance for what 'could' be little.) But as others have said, people seem genuinely scared about this. Even if it moves away, we're going to have pretty miserable weather.

Old 08-26-2011, 12:01 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,591,369 times
Flight cancelled?? - didn't you say you were "flying solo" with small kids - surely you're in charge of cancelling it or not.
Unless you don't mean flying solo (i.e. without a flight instructor or second pilot) and you just mean you and your kids are travelling by airplane this weekend.

Old 08-26-2011, 02:07 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,357,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjinla View Post
This is my first hurricane (give me an earthquake ANYDAY over this...no need to be nervous for a week in advance for what 'could' be little.) But as others have said, people seem genuinely scared about this. Even if it moves away, we're going to have pretty miserable weather.
A hurricane virgin! Have fun. You're almost guaranteed to lose power, and you'll find out how waterproof your roof and basement is. If you can walk over there without getting killed, check out Harbor Island Park, the waves will be smashing the boats out of their moorings.

Old 08-26-2011, 02:11 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,468,198 times
Wow, that should be interesting to see. We'll have to see if we can get over that way. This is our last weekend at our rental house and to get to the water we have to get down the hill and over the flats in Mamaroneck. They've already left a bunch of orange barriers at every corner in the flats basically assuming that every road there will be impassable. Should be interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County