Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 02:52 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,860,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSL0131 View Post
Also, I have been underwhelmed by the school system.
Could you give more color on this statement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 02:50 PM

581 posts, read 1,303,088 times
I think you'll get a much bigger NYC commuter contingent in Croton vs. Yorktown.

Old 11-11-2011, 08:00 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,190,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldHaveLeft914 View Post
I think you'll get a much bigger NYC commuter contingent in Croton vs. Yorktown.
The NYC commuter population is a larger percentage of the population in Croton vs. Yorktown Heights, but there are definitely fewer of them in Croton. The same is true for the "artsy, progressive and educated" types TSL referred to--they make up a larger percentage of the Croton population, but there are more of them in Yorktown Heights. Croton's population is dramatically smaller, so smaller numbers have a much bigger impact. The same is true for Croton's blue collar population. I have lots of good friends in Croton and one thing they all agree is a serious negative about the village is the social divide and antagonism, which can be intense. And I've never experienced that in Yorktown.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:50 PM

581 posts, read 1,303,088 times
Can you tell us more about the social/class divide in the small town of Croton?

Old 11-18-2011, 02:03 PM

8 posts, read 50,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dma1250 View Post
I have lots of good friends in Croton and one thing they all agree is a serious negative about the village is the social divide and antagonism, which can be intense. And I've never experienced that in Yorktown.
That's what I really wanted to hear. Thanks to all of you for the insightful responses. I've learned quite a bit and hope to hear more from those of you who have both pros and cons to share.

Hubby and I are currently raising our two children in the Northeast section of the Bronx and are looking for a less crowded, more "community feel" type area with schools worthy of their intellectual level.

For the record, neither I nor my husband work for Verizon, the NYPD, the FDNY or in any other job that would be deemed "blue collar". Not that I'm clear on how any of that matters in the long run.

Old 11-18-2011, 05:31 PM

258 posts, read 907,644 times
Hi Davnee- I am from the Northeast Bronx as well. I moved to Westchester about a year ago. Good luck with your move!

Old 11-22-2011, 06:42 PM

Thanks so much. And I have one more question for you all regarding medical care and quality; pediatricians specifically. How are the medical providers in the Yorktown area in terms of timeliness, care, etc? Really want to be sure I'll find good replacement doctors for the kiddies when we move up. Thanks again!

Old 11-23-2011, 08:39 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,190,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davnee View Post
Thanks so much. And I have one more question for you all regarding medical care and quality; pediatricians specifically. How are the medical providers in the Yorktown area in terms of timeliness, care, etc? Really want to be sure I'll find good replacement doctors for the kiddies when we move up. Thanks again!
You'll have plenty of pediatricians and other doctors to choose from in Yorktown Heights, both independent doctors and ones in large practices. Both the Mt. Kisco Medical Group and the Westchester Medical Group have offices in the center of YH. MKMG has the benefit of having full services in town (testing etc) as well as of always being open. The downside is that it has a bit of of chop shop feel (you get 5 minutes and they're on to the next patient), but when our kid ws younger we really liked knowing that a doctor was right there all the time. And not having to go the hospital for any tests was a big plus, too.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:45 PM

16 posts, read 32,692 times
I'll add my two cents to the Pediatrician comment. Was not happy with MKMG of Yorktown at all!! Saw one of the two doctors and she was rude as all hell. Didnt even say hi and proceeded to tell me all the things that were missing from my child as far as vaccines are concerned. (Note!!she was't missing anything as I later found out). Will never go there again. I high tailed my bum back to Park Slope to see my old Pediatrician. Do ur homework on that front.

Oh and my husband is blue collar.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyofcooking View Post
I high tailed my bum back to Park Slope to see my old Pediatrician. Do ur homework on that front.
I definitely will. Thanks for giving me another perspective!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County