Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 07:15 PM

581 posts, read 1,303,243 times

Advertisements

Yorktown has a lot of socioeconomic diversity.
Yup, it has cops, carpenters, AND teachers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven r. View Post
My Uncle was an electrical contractor and lives in 900,000 dollar house with a 3 car garage and levels. If white collar artsy was such a wonderful life then how come so many liberal arts and journalism majors cant find jobs and work at Starbucks for 11 dollars an hour?

I don't see the any difference between the fleet mechanic making 60k a year or the NY Times Journalist making the same.

Your uncle was still blue collar and in a lower social class than a $50,000 journalist.

The fleet mechanic is several classes in lower social class than a NYTimes journalist.
Even if the mechanic makes $250k and the journalist makes $50k.

You don't understand the basics of status and class in America.
It has little to do with money.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:31 PM

425 posts, read 1,212,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
So why the whole "snob" thing then? I can't fathom how a person can associate himself with "Group A" and say he is a snob who does not want to be around "Group B" (ie Mahopac/Carmel, Mohegan Lake, etc.) when both groups are very similar. Strange.
DMA 1250 is all over the place with his comments. I think he suffers from an identity crises. If your uncle lives in a 900,00 house that has a three car garage and levels he must be living in Hopewell Junction

Old 11-25-2013, 09:38 PM

475 posts, read 852,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldHaveLeft914 View Post
Your uncle was still blue collar and in a lower social class than a $50,000 journalist.

The fleet mechanic is several classes in lower social class than a NYTimes journalist.

Oh I see status driven, you are exactly one of the many problems in America. It was status driven that crippled our economy cause of Wall Streets reckless behavior and profits before people mentality. But they had status until they demonized themselves and now people can't stand them.

We all have a right to our opinion and I respect yours weather you do mine or not. I like my 50k a year job in my little country town, that's what makes me happy, and I'm sure where ever you reside makes you happy or you wouldn't be there.

I respect people for different reasons then you do obviously. A veteran, a working man, an educated man all have one thing in common, they were all driven to succeed at something. Knocking down someone for their accomplishments just because they did it in a different way makes you somewhat ignorant.

What if the shoe was on the other foot, what if you were the blue collar guy? Since you are so much better then everyone what was your steps to success? Hard work? Mom and dad paying for everything? how did you do it?

Old 11-26-2013, 08:10 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,030,095 times
Quote:

If you took this thread back to the world of 25 or 50 years ago I'd agree with you strongly. But right now... not so much. Though I'd say that attitude still prevails in the old line Westchester communities. Unfortunately now even the more educated classes struggle afford the communities they would have called home 30 years ago.

And BTW - these days your highly educated, sophisticated, worldly journalist is lucky to be working at all as a result of the internet and Arianna Huffington's crusade to drive the value of content to practically zero.

Old 11-26-2013, 12:03 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,191,187 times
Gee, go away for a day and the conversation just keeps going.

Yorktown vs Yorktown Heights: One town, two different school districts. Socially, life is largely defined by the school district. When I speak of YH, I am talking about the areas in the YCSD, almost all of which have a YH address.

You all are clearly ignorant about the topic of this thread and are simply going by your prejudices and misconceptions. I invite you to come by some time nd I'll give you a tour of the area. DM me.

Last edited by dma1250; 11-26-2013 at 01:00 PM..

Old 11-26-2013, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
If you took this thread back to the world of 25 or 50 years ago I'd agree with you strongly. But right now... not so much. Though I'd say that attitude still prevails in the old line Westchester communities. Unfortunately now even the more educated classes struggle afford the communities they would have called home 30 years ago.

And BTW - these days your highly educated, sophisticated, worldly journalist is lucky to be working at all as a result of the internet and Arianna Huffington's crusade to drive the value of content to practically zero.
Doesn't matter. Even if the journalist were flat broke, do you think he's going to suddenly marry some hair dresser with an associates degree and a smoking habit?

Old 11-26-2013, 06:41 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,030,095 times
Quote:
Doesn't matter. Even if the journalist were flat broke, do you think he's going to suddenly marry some hair dresser with an associates degree and a smoking habit?
hahahaha, you have a point. They'd have nothing to say to each other. BUT.... he might well marry the daughter of the that plumbering business owner living in that $900k house in Harrison who sent his daughter to Skidmore.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:45 AM

83 posts, read 168,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dma1250 View Post
That sounds like northern Yorktown, especially Shrub Oak, Jefferson Valley, Mohegan Lake. Not like Yorktown Heights. The 10% estimate is based on my 10 years living here, being a member of the community, going to town events, and meeting parents at school and sporting events and parties. That I recall, I've met two cops, three firefighters, two guys who own construction companies, no trade workers or Verizon workers, and loads of lawyers, finance people, and "creative professionals." I love the town's socio-economic diversity, but in the fairly random sampling of my son's many classes and sports teams the parents have been pretty uniformly white collar. And as Park Slope refugees with liberal politics and locovorian leanings we certainly haven't had any trouble meeting similar like-minded folk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dma1250 View Post
^^ There's really nothing to say to you. I could say that I'm sorry to have caused you so much distress, but I'm not. However I do feel the need to clarify a few points about myself:

- I'm not an artist, never said I was.
- I despise poetry.
- I left Brooklyn in part to get away from the people you describe. The fact that I don't care to live around uneducated blue collar people or lawyers and bankers doesn't mean I like hipster *****. The world is a lot more varied than that!
- Given that I put in an average of 50 hours a week, I consider myself a "working person." That designation is not solely for blue collar folks.
- I'd sooner live in Mohegan Lake than Scarsdale. Well, actually I'd sooner die than live in either.
- My comments (and the entire thread) were about the multiple hamlets that make up Yorktown Heights, not Yorktown in general.
- I've lived here for over 12 years now, not 10. I wouldn't say I know all about it, but I do know quite a bit. If what I say about YH doesn't match your experience, then you've had limited experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by john70 View Post
DMA 1250 is all over the place with his comments. I think he suffers from an identity crises. If your uncle lives in a 900,00 house that has a three car garage and levels he must be living in Hopewell Junction

John70 summed it up perfectly. He is all over the place. He looovvvees the town's "socio-economic diversity" but at the same time says it's 99.9999% white collar. And first he says Yorktown is all lawyers and finance people and his definition of creative professionals but then in the next post he says he doesn't want to live next to "uneducated blue collar people or lawyers and bankers". So you must hate your neighbors dma, since you live in such a sophisticated town.

It's hilarious that this post was started in 2011 and of course dma was the first reply.

He tries and tries to tell everyone how great Yorktown is, and in the process he manages to insult every person on this board. Enjoy your town dma, you sound like a blast to be around.

I saw you offered someone a tour of your town. I was actually driving through your town and had a free Starbucks drink to use and saw one after I passed your Kmart. It was actually one of the nicer Starbucks I have seen, if you are into their coffee. The surrounding area was pretty bleak but you can't have everything I guess.

Last edited by hgeb; 11-27-2013 at 08:59 AM..

Old 11-27-2013, 11:30 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,191,187 times
^^ Why do you find it hard to grasp my posts? They're completely consistent. Your "statements" about my statements are absurd: I never said YH was "all lawyers and finance people," that would be absurd. I certainly never defined those as creative professionals. There are indeed many of them in YH, and yes I don't really like them at all. Not my kind of people. And apprecialting the socioeconomic diversity of YH doesn't mean I like all those people! As for my insulting eveyone on the board, that makes me wonder why I keep getting reputation points as this silly thread goes on and on.

The only thing you've said that has any relation to reality is your comment about the commercial hub of YH hamlet: it is indeed bleak. It has good stores and is highly walkable, but the town was bulldozed in a revitalization effort in the 1960's and is ugly as hell. A fact that I have stated on many threads.

The offer of a tour stands. The commercial hub wasn't on my tour list, but I'd be happy to take you ignorant, prejudiced, people on a tour of town so that you can experience the majority of YH, which you evidently have never been to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County