Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Westchester Vs Long Island
Westchester 27 90.00%
Long Island 3 10.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 05:22 PM

232 posts, read 496,158 times

Advertisements

I know this has been posted a million times but bear with me.

I recently returned from visiting family in Katonah, in Westchester. It is one of the most quaint and simple areas ever, which I'm partial too; there's money there too however. Everyone drives Beamers and Benz's. I also have family on the Island (south-shore but still nice) , which I enjoy as well.

Taxes are incredibly high in both places but which one is higher? There obviously not both the same. Which one has better schools? I've been told a majority of LI highschools have metal detectors and arent as safe as there Westchester Counterparts.

I like the small town feel that Bedford-Katonah-Mt Kisco area has (especially the walkable, quaint downtowns) more than the suburbia feel of Lindenhurst-Babylon area has.

Few things I've noticed in my travels..
  • The homes in Westchester are more spread out, with bigger yards, and more landscaping.
  • There's less Italian heritage in Westchester
  • More of a neighborly feel in Westchester
  • The water in Westchester isnt as clean LI
  • Traffic is much less extreme in Westchester
  • MNR is 24/7 but is almost identical to LIRR

Basically, which one is for me? I come from a small town to begin with and like the feel. Money isnt really isnt an issue but commuting is. I will work in the city but will have to travel a lot. I would like a large lot with at least 3200 sqft. A place with a walkable downtown with lots of small, local business. Friendly people without some much New Yawk accent.

This is a very hard decision for me and I could use some real detailed answers and insight.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 05:39 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,574,565 times
Drive around Westchester on a summer Friday or Saturday. Then attempt the same on Long Island. See which you prefer.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:17 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,029,336 times
What's hard? Generalizing about taxes and schools is pointless, it depends on the respective towns, that's not an LI vs Wstchstr question. But you already know that. Otherwise it sounds like a no-brainer. You set up the criteria and you already know the answers.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:44 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,861,266 times
Quality of schools are the same, as are the taxes you must pay to fund them. Seriously, you won't find that much of a difference between Garden City and Chappaqua schools.

LI is much more paved over than Westchester for the most part, but there are still places where you can find more space and natural beauty such as Sea Cliff and Cold Spring Harbor. On the flipside, you can find more affluent neighborhoods in LI with better infrastructure and commuting options to Manhattan than Westchester.

So it's just a trade off between one or the other.

BTW, LI has more EPA superfund sites and areas once used for commercial agriculture (ie pesticides), if that matters to you.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:53 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,556,721 times
With the LIRR you have to commute into Penn...... the most-crowded chicken-fat smelling styroform-strewn claustrophobic diesellly yuk terminal there is. Grand Central is a different world.
of course, you'll only be there for a few minutes each day.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:10 AM

79 posts, read 291,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
With the LIRR you have to commute into Penn...... the most-crowded chicken-fat smelling styroform-strewn claustrophobic diesellly yuk terminal there is. Grand Central is a different world.
of course, you'll only be there for a few minutes each day.
You'd only be in Grand Central for a few minutes a day. No telling how long you'd be in Penn, desperately waiting for track information on a train scheduled to leave in 3 minutes (but don't worry, it probably won't leave on time.)

Not that I have a preference, I'm just agreeing that they're just different.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:45 AM

413 posts, read 1,105,876 times
I think that Long Island is more violent...

Old 11-13-2011, 08:36 AM

956 posts, read 1,207,258 times
Westchester by far

A) Less traffic
B) Much more things to do (historic sites, hiking, parks, scenery)
C) Metro-North & Grand Central
D) More space
E) Easier access to New England, Manhattan, West of the Hudson, NY State

The only positives I find about Long Island is the shopping and beach otherwise Westchester is much more superior in almost every way...just my opinion.

Old 11-13-2011, 08:39 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,328,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonny View Post
I think that Long Island is more violent...
There's only a few spots on LI that have higher than average crime but even in those few places, almost all of the crime only happens in the summer/warm months at night and usually affects people who were involved in the 'street lifestyle' as opposed to innocent people.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:15 AM

19 posts, read 52,794 times
There are huge differences between those school systems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County