Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 01:35 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,627,626 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My wife and I are both 60 but we really have the physical health of someone in the early 50s or even 40s. We currently live in Chicago along the lake but but I was born and grew up in Brooklyn and we would like to move back to family on the East Coast. She is Asian and grew up in Canada so Toronto is an option.

I've been scouting around the N.Y. area and was wondering if Westchester was an option for us. We are quite active and walk daily along the lake for 3 - 4 miles. We love to do things like play tennis, dancing, walking along the lake here in Chicago, going to a coffee house and reading, listening to music, etc. I really enjoy table tennis and noticed there is a table tennis club in Pleasentville. We have also grown quite dependent on a fresh supply of organic foods which is readily available in the Whole Foods stores that dot the Chicago Lincoln Park area.

We are both progressive, independent thinkers and enjoy being among friendly, multicultural friends. We would initially rent but are looking to buy either a condo or townhouse and have a budget of about $1800 to rent and possible $450,000 to buy. We could go higher but that is our sweet spot especially with the economy as it is.

Is Westchester an option for us? Which cities would you recommend that have a walkable area with lots of local shops, even in the evening, with coffee shops open late and lots of friendly nice people to meet and talk to?

Thank you very much for any suggestions that you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 02:23 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,457,992 times
I personally would not go out of my way to live here as an empty nester - it's just too expensive, and your property taxes will run about $10K a year on that $450K house, which is likely to pale in comparison to what it would buy in Chicago. And you'd be looking in run-down areas north of the 287 even with that budget.

People do retire out here, but they most often lived here with kids to start and don't want to uproot.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjinla View Post
I personally would not go out of my way to live here as an empty nester - it's just too expensive, and your property taxes will run about $10K a year on that $450K house, which is likely to pale in comparison to what it would buy in Chicago. And you'd be looking in run-down areas north of the 287 even with that budget.

People do retire out here, but they most often lived here with kids to start and don't want to uproot.
Thank you for your reply. Taxes is a big consideration. Would you say that this is what we would be paying for a $400,000 condo in White Plains? If White Plains is less, is it worth considering? What are the other taxes that we should consider. Here in Chicago with have a 9.5% sales tax and state taxes are 3.5%.

Thanks again for your very helpful reply!

Old 03-16-2012, 03:13 PM

354 posts, read 775,765 times
No taxes won't be that high for a condo in White Plains. Not sure if we're allowed to post real estate links here, but I just did a search and saw a 2 BD, 2 Bath condo at 300 Mamaroneck Ave which is a pretty new development (last 10 years) and walkable to most things downtown. It was $425k with est taxes $6,700.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hominamad View Post
No taxes won't be that high for a condo in White Plains. Not sure if we're allowed to post real estate links here, but I just did a search and saw a 2 BD, 2 Bath condo at 300 Mamaroneck Ave which is a pretty new development (last 10 years) and walkable to most things downtown. It was $425k with est taxes $6,700.
Thanks for the good news. Very comparable to what I would be paying here in Chicago on the Northside. If anyone has any insights into life in White Plains, I would very much appreciate it. Thanks again for your help.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:37 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,390,804 times
White Plains would work because of the diversification of the tax base, keeping the property taxes much lower than other areas of Westchester. Schools are average, but since that's not a factor for you, why pay the higher property taxes in other areas?

In terms of lifestyle, you are an express train ride away from Midtown, about 35-40 minutes, depending upon train. White Plains has shops, restaurants, large malls, etc., such that it might not be a bad consideration.

Greenwich, Westport, and South Norwalk (SoNo) are other areas that come to mind in CT, where taxes are generally lower, and you would find some options around your preferred price point. If you do not mind a co-op, but not the Manhattan-level of obsessive co-op, I would look at Forest Hills in Queens and Riverdale in The Bronx, where you can get some space, lower taxes, and ease of access to Manhattan. White Plains is a good consideration, however, but Westchester tends to close earlier than the city, though Riverdale can be a ghost town with only a few restaurants open after 10pm. I should add that I mentioned co-ops as that would be the most prevalent form of ownership around $450k for a 2BR, but condos do exist, though they tend to be slightly more expensive than comparable co-ops, but usually have lower maintenance, for the same style of building.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-16-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
White Plains would work because of the diversification of the tax base, keeping the property taxes much lower than other areas of Westchester. Schools are average, but since that's not a factor for you, why pay the higher property taxes in other areas?

In terms of lifestyle, you are an express train ride away from Midtown, about 35-40 minutes, depending upon train. White Plains has shops, restaurants, large malls, etc., such that it might not be a bad consideration.

Greenwich, Westport, and South Norwalk (SoNo) are other areas that come to mind in CT, where taxes are generally lower, and you would find some options around your preferred price point.

Thanks much for the additional information. I will research the additional cities that you mentioned. Besides the tax advantage, are there any other advantages to Greenwich, Westport, and South Norwalk? Thanks again for your very helpful advice.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:21 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,390,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
Thanks much for the additional information. I will research the additional cities that you mentioned. Besides the tax advantage, are there any other advantages to Greenwich, Westport, and South Norwalk? Thanks again for your very helpful advice.
Coastal Connecticut has a different feel than White Plains, and you would have access to beaches, parks, etc. that might be more of a trek from an area like White Plains. South Norwalk has been redeveloped in recent years, such that it would be realistic in the area to have water views, etc. at the same price point, yet still be about an hour from Manhattan. South Norwalk has a restaurant and cafe scene, the aquarium, etc., and a good number of newer condo buildings. I saw a condo for mid $600s that would be more expensive in White Plains, and roughly 1/3 of a comparable Manhattan price. Not all of Norwalk is as exclusive, however, whereas Westport and Greenwich are more upper-middle to affluent in terms of demographics.

Westport is a great town that feels like its own community, not one that's an extension of Manhattan or the greater metro area. Yet, you can easily get to the city, but Westport has more local shops and the like. Walking distance to the train station would ensure being close to the shops and restaurants.

Greenwich has some excellent shopping and dining, but can be geographically spread out, but has the feel of a smaller community, when compared to White Plains. Coastal Connecticut would work if you wanted access to the beach, and a lower-rise community in feel, as opposed to the density of White Plains.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-16-2012, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Coastal Connecticut has a different feel than White Plains, and you would have access to beaches, parks, etc. that might be more of a trek from an area like White Plains. South Norwalk has been redeveloped in recent years, such that it would be realistic in the area to have water views, etc. at the same price point, yet still be about an hour from Manhattan. South Norwalk has a restaurant and cafe scene, the aquarium, etc., and a good number of newer condo buildings. I saw a condo for mid $600s that would be more expensive in White Plains, and roughly 1/3 of a comparable Manhattan price. Not all of Norwalk is as exclusive, however, whereas Westport and Greenwich are more upper-middle to affluent in terms of demographics.

Westport is a great town that feels like its own community, not one that's an extension of Manhattan or the greater metro area. Yet, you can easily get to the city, but Westport has more local shops and the like. Walking distance to the train station would ensure being close to the shops and restaurants.

Greenwich has some excellent shopping and dining, but can be geographically spread out, but has the feel of a smaller community, when compared to White Plains. Coastal Connecticut would work if you wanted access to the beach, and a lower-rise community in feel, as opposed to the density of White Plains.
Great information! Much appreciated. This is giving me lots of ideas. Of course, at some point I will have to make a visit but all of this information is giving me an excellent idea of where I should look at how I might plan a trip. Thanks again. And any additional information by forum members would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-18-2012, 11:51 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,306,530 times
In terms of demographics, White Plains is similar to Evanston (except no waterfront, or large university).

If you choose White Plains, look in the vicinity around the city center. There are plenty of co-ops/condos etc all within walking distance. In fact when I think of Evanston (I was there the other day), Stamford CT, comes to mind as well. Its one of the coastal cities, in the same vicinity as the towns that Bmwguydc mentioned. It offers a lot of the same experience that White Plains does, just you'll be a bit farther from the city.

Sono is pretty cool too, similar demographics. In the summer time it's a good place to hang out at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County