Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2012, 08:07 PM

41 posts, read 100,342 times

Advertisements

I used to live in Rockland (Spring Valley). I got a job in the city and ended up moving to Westchester. Now I'm moving from Westchester back to Rockland (Suffern).

When I lived in Spring Valley, I ended up taking the Tappan Zee Express to Tarrytown and took Metro North to GCT for my commute. I was planning on doing the same thing after moving back, but I started exploring other options and think that taking the CoachUSA bus from the Nanuet commuter lot might work out better for me. Plus I have nothing but nightmares remembering the Tappan Zee Bridge.

First off, just to make sure I'm on the right page, this is the bus that I'm talking about: http://www.coachusa.com/CoachUsaAsse...98/Express.pdf

1. How consistent is the bus at following the posted schedule? Being it's a bus, I understand that it would be at the mercy of traffic.

2. Do the lots require any type of permit or is it first come, first serve? If the latter, how early should one get there to not have to fight for a space?

3. Is it easy to get seating on the bus or is standing a common occurrence? Thanks in advance for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 03:15 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,574,900 times
I did the same. Until one summer Friday, I got on the bus at 4:00 and got home at 8:00. That's when I moved to Westchester.

Also Red and Tan (which morphed into Coach USA) used to have this policy of leaving you on the side of the road when the bus broke down, to wait to get on another bus that happened by, crowded or not.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:34 PM

Thanks, I think? I know my commute was going to get worse moving west but it wasn't really by choice.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:54 AM

As a follow-up for people who might come searching, taking the bus from Nanuet is an absolute nightmare compared to Metro North in Westchester. I know it's been said plenty of times on various threads, but the NYC commute is a lot worse on this side of the bridge. You have to deal with buses running out of seats and Lincoln Tunnel traffic.

I'm going to look into taking the train to Hoboken from Suffern once the PATH is restored.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:40 AM

62 posts, read 213,745 times
What time did you get the bus out of Nanuet? I just used it for the first time this morning and had no problem. I got the 7:40 at the Exit 14 Park and Ride and was at 34th and 5th Ave by 8:55. The bus wasn't even half full. There was a bit of delay due to the Metz/NJT bus accident at the tunnel, but not bad.

I normally take the Pascack Valley line, but until it resumes service to/from Secaucus (or Path resumes at Hoboken) I need other options. Last Monday when trains were still stopping at Secaucus I took the Main line to Suffern and that was OK. After they shut down Secaucus service I took Metro North to Tarrytown and got the TZx bus to the Exit 14 lot. That worked out OK too.

So I'm trying the Coach Shortline today. Like I said morning was fine; hoping evening goes as well. Just wondering if I got lucky, or maybe it's only bad earlier in the morning?

Old 11-13-2012, 06:32 AM

I took the 7:20 yesterday and the bus got caught by that bus accident at the Lincoln Tunnel. Yesterday was especially bad getting out of New York, but I'm not sure why. I took the 4:49 from 47th and 5th and it took over half an hour just to reach the Lincoln Tunnel, but this hasn't been my usual experience. This morning wasn't bad at all. I caught either the 7 or 7:10, not sure which, and got to Bryant Park around 7:50. In the 2 weeks I've been taking the Coach Bus, it's been pretty inconsistent. Some days are really good. Others not so much.

How long was the commute going through Tarrytown?

Old 11-13-2012, 07:52 AM

62 posts, read 213,745 times
I ended up not taking the bus home yesterday because I heard the afternoon accident in the tunnel was really going to screw up the evening commute -- and it sounds like it did.

Getting home through Tarrytown takes just over an hour -- 5:17 train from GC gets to Tarrytown a bit before 6:00 and then the TZx bus from there gets to the Exit 14 lot around 6:35.

You're right about it being inconsistent. Yesterday morning when I got to the lot there was no line and I stepped right on to a half-full bus; this morning when I got there at the same time the line was several buses long (moving quickly though) and every bus was filling up. Both mornings was just over an hour trip though so not too bad.

I'm definitely looking forward to train service getting back to normal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County