Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 01:33 PM

168 posts, read 417,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma1250 View Post
Well, first of all, let's be clear that "best" is subjective.
Thanks for your answer. You seem very knowledgeable. I would like to form a standard as i have no idea what good stats are. Can you provide an example of a school district where those stats are reasonable for the New York Area, if not good, so that we may have a reference? Similarly for after hours/extracurricular activities?

By best i mean academically best, and in this sense, it is not entirely subjective. I would like to find the schools that will prepare my children for college and i heard that, for example, math scores are a good such predictor. I would dare say that test taking skills are important although of course not the only thing that matters.

As for the standards, if for example, only 50% of Scarsdale students can master those standards then this is pretty valuable information that can help me rank those schools. In other words standards might be high or low but still be useful for ranking. Have the CCSS assessment results gone public?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 02:01 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,192,835 times
RE Stats: I would simply compare those of some of the districts you're looking at. That info is I think on any of the school rating sites. I don't know that there is a gold standard, but if you see that one school has significantly larger class sizes than another, for example, that would raise a red flag for me.

The first CCSS-based assessments will be the tests given this spring. Those will be the modified state tests that have been revised to reflect the CCSS. The official CCSS assessments won't be given until 2015. So the only data available now is on the old tests testing the old standards.

If you want to read the standards:

Common Core State Standards Initiative | Home

Old 03-08-2013, 02:14 PM

168 posts, read 417,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dma1250 View Post

If you want to read the standards:

Common Core State Standards Initiative | Home
Thanks again. Do you (or anyone else) happen to know if there is a database of the NY math and language or Regents district or school assessment results that breaks them down to ethnicities (such as hispanics or asians)? New Jersey report cards do that for their state assessment results (ASK and HSPA).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County