Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2013, 07:15 PM

7 posts, read 20,637 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I am new to Westchester county and thinking about signing my 6.5 year old daughter for horseback riding lessons this summer. She doesn't always keep interested in activities, like any child, so I don't want to spend a lot up front although I know almost any place will be pretty expensive. I am hoping to get the best value for my money at a place that has a good reputation. If anyone can recommend a riding school in Westchester or Putnam county that would be awesome! I have found a lot of places online but am hoping to pare down my list with your help. Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 05:03 AM

11 posts, read 23,020 times
My 4 year old started lessons at South Horse Stables in Purchase and have been very pleased with the level of instruction. Small friendly barn.

South Horse Stables Riding Lessons CT NY Jumping Dressage Lessons

Old 03-03-2013, 06:02 PM

7 posts, read 20,637 times
Thanks! This is one of the places I was looking at, I will definitely give them a call tomorrow

Old 03-11-2013, 01:59 PM

4 posts, read 13,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cairennoid View Post
Hi everyone, I am new to Westchester county and thinking about signing my 6.5 year old daughter for horseback riding lessons this summer. She doesn't always keep interested in activities, like any child, so I don't want to spend a lot up front although I know almost any place will be pretty expensive. I am hoping to get the best value for my money at a place that has a good reputation. If anyone can recommend a riding school in Westchester or Putnam county that would be awesome! I have found a lot of places online but am hoping to pare down my list with your help. Thanks everyone!
Well if your interested in equestrian activities, I'd let you know that Westchester county is quite enthusiastic about horseback riding, and many local children enjoy spending time at the barn; horseshows are also a fairly popular activity.

Twin Lakes Farm is without a doubt the best place to ride horses, over fences or on the flat, and they provide excellent instruction to all levels of riders. TLF is also active in many local horseshows (HITS, Old Salem Farm), and they have an active team for the mentioned purpose.

Horseback riding is an excellent sport to be enjoyed by those who can appreciate, a truly special bond with horses. I have been riding horses since I was about six, to my present age of nineteen, and no longer ride as of this time. Horseback riding has left me with countless good memories, but also a collection of psychological and physical trauma. I would highly advise you to thoroughly investigate the risks involved in this sport, before making the decision to take lessons. I don't mean to sound alarming, but horseback riding is a sport unlike any other...

Old 06-06-2013, 06:06 PM

2 posts, read 6,595 times
Default Great Sport but expensive

My daughter and I ride at Boulder Brook Equestrian Center in Scarsdale. When we moved to Westchester I researched all the barns. I did not like Twin Lakes because kids cannot go down to the barn until they can jump the course which takes a number of years. My daughter enjoys the interaction with the horses and while Boulder Brook is also a full service barn they trust their horses enough to let the kids be around the horses.South Horse Stable is too small and the instruction is a little of a scam. I observed one lesson and I truely thought the horse new the routine and listened to the voice of the instructor what to do. I want my kid to really learn to ride independently. The barn on Mamaroneck Avenue between Mamaroneck and White Plains is not treating the horses well and they don't have an indoor ring. That barn is just a disgrace.

I started my oldest daughter at age 5 in Europe and she learned a lot at Boulder Brook. She does not have the same horse every time but rotates between horses that are appropriate for her at a given time. This has pros and cons. Attachment to one horse is less and you learn to manage to ride on different horses but you progress slower. You can pay extra to ride one horse for some time or lease a horse but that adds to the cost. At age six she can walk, trot, canter indoors and on trail rides and this is pretty good for that age.

Another good barn - but too far from us - is Fox Hill. I really liked the atmosphere of that barn and I observed their lessons and thought it was good. Other good barns are in North Salem.

I think horseback riding is terrific. I have been riding since I was a toddler and all my kids are horse crazy. Riding has so many benefits that are not directly related to physical exerise but affect your whole way of going about life. Yes, there are dangers but a good barn keeps that under control and you can help by buying a good helmet (that you attach properly that it will not fall off under impact) and you might even invest in a protective vest. In Europe that is fairly common but not so much here. Everyone falls down at some point in time but usually you can get right back on the horse. So, it is not a big deal. If you ride at a "bad" place you might canter or jump too early and then accidents happen. So, be careful where you go.

Finally, riding is an expensive sport and how far you can progress is not only tied to your ability as a rider but how much money you have. I would, personally, choose a barn that accepts riders as leisure riders and those fully immersed in the sport. To compete successfully at high end competitions you need to have an excellent horse and that does not come cheap to pruchase, train and board. At some point you might have to tell your child this is what we can afford and this is how far you are going to go in this sport. That is not always easy. I always told my kids we are taking this sport easy. Maybe that will change but they should not expect that they will get their own pony any time soon.

Last edited by ric176; 06-06-2013 at 06:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County