Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2011, 02:34 PM

4 posts, read 15,750 times

Advertisements

We are moving this summer to either Westchester County or Bergen County, NJ from the DC area. My husband's job will be in Pearl River, NY and we're looking to keep his commute to under 40 minutes. Relatively easy access to NYC would be nice but not essential. We're looking for towns with highly rated schools (ideally with nurturing elementary schools), lots of young families (our kids are 5 and 3), welcoming and warm sense of community, and close access to restaurants, children's activities, etc. In Westchester County, we have particularly noted Chappaqua, Armonk and Pleasantville. We have looked a little at the river towns, like Irvington, but we'd like to find a house with more of a yard than some of those hilly towns seem to offer. We would love to find a newer home with at least 3000 square feet and, although we would certainly love to find it for less, can go up to about $1.4m.

Are there any other towns we should consider? Any feedback on the towns mentioned? Does anybody have any grounds for comparison between Bergen (towns like Ridgewood, Allendale, Ho-ho-kus, Montvale, e.g.) and Westchester Counties?

We have heard that some towns like Chappaqua have academically great but more cutthroat schools? Any truth to that? How about on the elementary school level?

Any particular elementary schools that have a fabulous reputation for being academically great but also nurturing?

Please feel free to answer just one or as many of these questions as you can if you have input--we're just overwhelmed with the choices of great towns and will have to move rather quickly to get settled before the start of kindergarten! Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 06:27 AM

69 posts, read 254,965 times
If you are going to work in Pearl River your better choice is Bergen County, NJ. Why fight the Tappan Zee traffic. I was just watching a show this morning about how the bridge must be replaced. Why fight that.

I live in Armonk and at one time lived in Morris Township in NJ. I find that NJ is friendlier.
Schools are great in Armonk and Chappaqua but people are spread out mostly on big lots. The places you mention in NJ (all good choices) have more of a village feel. Pleasantville has more of a village and is a friendlier place. Part of Pleasantville goes to school in Byram Hills (Armonk).

In the end, why fight the traffic.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:22 AM

31 posts, read 97,384 times
I'm from Rockland and my husband and I are in the process of buying a house in Pleasantville, as we both work in NYC. I would love to live in Rockland/Bergan if the commute to the city was better. As far as a commute for your husband, I would choose Bergan over Westechester...the TZ Bridge traffic can be awful....my dad goes over it every morning and says leaving 5-10 minutes later than normal can add a lot onto his commute. Begran County, like Westchester, has an actual town in most areas, unlike Rockland. Ridgewood and Westwood are great towns. Also, check out Glenn Rock - I don't know too much about it, but we had started to look into it and liked it.

I believe the taxes are lower in Bergan and you will get more for your $ as the commute to the city is longer - but I could be wrong...I don't know much about schools, but someone told me when looking to stay away from Montvale schools - I don't know why....

Also, check out the Journal News website...lohud.com. They have a section called Living Here..which outlines Westchster/Rockland towns...i don't know if there is something simialr for Bergan.

Old 03-13-2011, 05:11 PM

258 posts, read 908,158 times
I don't think there is a lot of traffic on TZ bridge going in that direction in the morning. My husband works in NJ from Plesantville and he doesn't hit traffic until he gets to Jersey. Going over the TZ from Rockland to Westchester is a different story. Pleasantville to Pearl River will probably take about 35 minutes in the morning. I don't know anything about NJ so I can't comment on that. Have you considered Pearl River or Nanuet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County