Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2013, 06:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,179 times

Advertisements

A friend told there are lots of Westchester County RE agents on this forum. Hoping someone can offer input.

Wife is seriously considering going back to work now that our child will soon be ready for kindergarden. She is 3.5 yrs now.

Previously my wife worked in design/advertising. While she was pretty successful (ran her own biz for a long time), she is burnt out in the field and has no wish to get back into design. She likes the idea of real estate as:

- her father/family members were brokers/agents and she feels she has some familiarity with the industry, even if she is not licensed yet and doesn't really have experience selling RE

- she loves homes of all kinds, enjoys touring them, envisioning possibilities, home design/redesign, staging, decor, etc

- she loves Westchester County

- has previous sales experience from her biz, feels she was a pretty good negotiator, new biz developer, closer, etc

- her marketing/advertising background is very useful/transferrable

- she presents well and easily gains people's trust

I don't know much about the world of selling RE as I work in tech sales... can anyone weigh in on the pros/cons of embarking on this career path given her background. Obviously getting licensed is an early step but there must be other important things to know, particular to selling in WC, I would imagine.

Would it be a good idea for her to go for her license now, even though our child is 3.5 so that she can hit the ground running so to speak once our child is in school most of the day?

Thanks for your input, in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 03:46 PM

723 posts, read 1,004,906 times
Default Tread lightly

I thought this would be great for my wife too who had been in marketing; but because we are not and never will be rich as most of the financial people working in living in Westchester and CT are; my wife basically started coming home and talking to the kids about the huge, magnificent houses she was showing to clients. My wife started to resent me because I don't make millions per year and cannot afford 3-4 million for a house or even 2.5 million! My kids started to feel like they weren't good enough because we didn't have a big beautiful house with a pool. I really wish my wife had gone into teaching with the steady hours and steady paycheck, health and pension benefits. Or some other part-time or full time work. Real Estate can be good, but it is cut-throat; and to really do it well you will definitely need to join a club and get your wife to join many organizations to network and get listings. There is no part-time with RE unless she has friends that will throw her listings a couple times a year which can happen too. The absolute best-case scenario is if your wife has connections as you mentioned and if she can have a builders who will give her all their listings. It really has to be a 40+ hours per week; every week full-time job to make it work. Also, you have to pay about $5k per year in fees just to be a Realtor.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:08 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,863,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailCT View Post
My wife started to resent me because I don't make millions per year and cannot afford 3-4 million for a house or even 2.5 million! My kids started to feel like they weren't good enough because we didn't have a big beautiful house with a pool.
Surely this cannot be true..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County