Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 10:48 AM

148 posts, read 531,502 times

Advertisements

Start a hobby...travel..mingle at coffee shops..write a book..create something! We are you so needy to meet others ..without kids no less? What are your social goals? This stirs my curiosity to no end, as I see a huge demand in population having this oblivion desire to obtain dozens of friends upon friends. "The more friends I have the cooler I appear to others, and the happier I am". Is that really the end game?

Everyone I met were through typical social means (bars, school, parties, family friends..etc..), professional and personal. I never had any issues with this, nor wasn't dependent on "pet" owner camaraderie to make new friends. Never heard of that!

Man ...the things I would do if I didn't have kids. Life is short..enjoy it!!
Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 12:00 PM

87 posts, read 228,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoowanna View Post
I see a huge demand in population having this oblivion desire to obtain dozens of friends upon friends. "The more friends I have the cooler I appear to others, and the happier I am". Is that really the end game?
Really? The OP does not at all strike me as someone seeking to pad their friend count to look cool.

I think it can be tough when you move to a new community at an age where others already have established networks and are not so much looking to socialize. At a certain age, the idea of spending a lot of time at bars and parties loses its appeal, and family friends, friends of friends, etc. may not be an option if you are a new arrival to the area. Add to this that the "normal social means" for many in their 30s/40s means making friends with other parents through your children and I can see where someone might get frustrated. I have kids so not an issue but I have certainly heard this complaint from others of that age.

Aside from that...I agree with your first point...be proactive about your interests and finding others who share them. I think this is in line with the meetup idea that many suggested. Other ideas: join a sports team, take a class, etc, etc. And yes, for some that interest can be their pets. I was shocked when I got my dog (pre-children) how I suddenly knew everyone in my neighborhood. This can be good or bad depending on your personality, but it is what tends to happen...provided you actually take the dog walking.

Old 01-05-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WardEq View Post
Really? The OP does not at all strike me as someone seeking to pad their friend count to look cool.
What about the whole Facebook craze? Remember the, "how many friends do you have" era? "She has 500, so she must be popular"!! Meanwhile she does't know 3/4 of these friends since they are from distant connections.

I think it's the same concept offline. Almost like the high school thing, hence the introverts were less popular no matter how you slice it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WardEq View Post
This can be good or bad depending on your personality, but it is what tends to happen...provided you actually take the dog walking.
True, starting up a whimsical conversation about which breed dog you own could be mildly interesting to some extent, yet I think this falls into the class of small talk, and certainly doesn't warrant grounds for a new friendship. Yet this could be the new status quo, which may go beyond a standard conversation about sports etc.. Can't stand those cheap discussions.

Old 01-05-2014, 07:44 PM

581 posts, read 1,302,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoowanna View Post
What about the whole Facebook craze? Remember the, "how many friends do you have" era? "She has 500, so she must be popular"!! Meanwhile she does't know 3/4 of these friends since they are from distant connections.
You sound like a teen parenting magazine from 2008.
Get into 2014.

Facebook Is Dead And Buried To Teens, Says EU Study

Old 01-06-2014, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldHaveLeft914 View Post
You sound like a teen parenting magazine from 2008.
Get into 2014.

Facebook Is Dead And Buried To Teens, Says EU Study
Oh I see..so FB isn't cool anymore? Aw-Shucks! I guess I'll have to play some more Swapper until another dumb ass figures out another sharing platform of pointless comments!

Old 01-06-2014, 10:39 AM

9 posts, read 15,620 times
That's a good question, We are childless and have lived in Scarsdale for nearly 20 years and the truth is - its just not easy meeting people here without being involved in some type of kid thing.

I have met some good people through my Church, Motorcycle Riding Group, Ski Club, and the Golf Course. It's a little easier if you have common interest and a group setting where you can go and participate in an activity. I don't do the Bar scene, and dog walking and the Gym just leads to those superficial " hey, how's it going" conversations that really don't ever seem to go anywhere.

Meetup has some interesting groups as well, but honestly it seemed like more of a hookup kind of deal and that wasn't what I was looking for.

Good luck, keep trying and you will make some friends, but it does seem like most of the people's lives here revolve around their children and if you don't have them, it's just not easy to listen to that for long! I mean how long can you hear about little Harold's playdate or the Baybay ( as Elaine said in that Seinfeld Episode).

Old 01-12-2014, 01:43 PM

581 posts, read 1,302,942 times
How did you end up in Scarsdale 20 years ago?

Old 01-12-2014, 04:08 PM

9 posts, read 15,620 times
I worked in the area and picked up a smaller home in the Edgewood section for a good price. Things were selling pretty low back in 94. No particular reason, it was just the right house at the time, but it never really turned out to be the right Town for us...

Old 01-13-2014, 11:37 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,626,761 times
Its tough meeting couples. Most of Meetup is geared towards singles looking to meet each other. Some of the restaurant groups may attract couples. I think the best bet is to try out classes where other couples might join. Dancing and tennis may be a couple of ideas. Dancing is also largely for singles but you might meet other couples, especially if the classes are geared toward couples who want to learn to dance. Travel meetups may also attract couples.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:38 PM

44 posts, read 190,365 times
Sur La Table has "Date Night" classes for couples and I've gone to two of them. Maybe 20 people in a room with an instructor, and you get paired off with another couple to share the same cooking tools. It's fun for you and you meet new people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County