Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2014, 11:11 AM

7 posts, read 13,734 times

Advertisements

We are moving out of NYC and looking at houses in Westchester. It appears in your budget our only options are New Rochelle and or Whiteplains. How are the schools. We have 3 little ones so schools are very important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 11:19 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,256,152 times
Both are large schools with lots of economic and racial diversity. I have friends in both districts and they have been very pleased. Kids got into very good colleges. So if you're looking for this type of district, definitely explore both. Not sure if one is considered "better" than the other. Property taxes in White Plains are much lower.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:21 PM

Hi, not sure what you mean regarding "this type of district". We don't mind economic or racial diversity as long as the schools have enough teachers, funding and arts? are the schools where there is less diversity better?

Old 04-15-2014, 12:37 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,256,152 times
There are many people who will avoid White Plains and New Rochelle because they don't like diversity. Others want a much smaller school district. It's that simple.

Old 04-15-2014, 04:41 PM

Thank you. Do you know of any other towns in westchester we can explore. Commutte and schools are priority. Looking to stay in the 500-600K range for housing which is hard.

Old 04-16-2014, 04:52 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,325,731 times
The neighborhoods behind New Rochelle High School are very nice and kid friendly. The schools are fine and you'll find homes in your price range.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:01 PM

374 posts, read 1,058,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
There are many people who will avoid White Plains and New Rochelle because they don't like diversity. Others want a much smaller school district. It's that simple.
I don't think its that simple. I'd say people avoid larger school districts for other reasons such as large classrooms and individual attention for their kids, test scores, etc.

http://www.westchestermagazine.com/W...ublicChart.pdf

Also, school district is not the only reason for a home purchase. For example, people may be worried about resale value.

Maybe I am a bit naive, but I think people are far more likely to be greedy than racist in Westchester.

As for the OP, I would consider both schools comparable and would lean towards white plains because of the smaller class size. But if I had an easier commute from New Rochelle or had family closer to that side of the county, I wouldn't hesitate. You also ask for other suggestions and you mention your budget on a house, but you don't mention your budget on taxes. I think taxes are a bigger restriction that house prices.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:35 PM

Hi, we want to stay below 15k for taxes. I do worry about resale but not as much as I'm probably going to spend 8-9 years in the house or more if I like the high schools. I'm more worried about the elementary schools and making sure is a safe learning environment. Have not found anything about wp schools and which neighborhoods to target in wp.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:56 AM

2 posts, read 3,487 times
We're happy with White Plains schools. There's diversity which brings advantages and disadvantages, but safety has never been a problem. You should be able to stay well below 15K in taxes. As for neighborhoods, I think the Highlands and Westminster Ridge are pretty popular for young families. The latter, for instance, has a lake and swim club that seems to create a pretty tight community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County