Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2009, 06:09 PM

2,496 posts, read 4,723,209 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I think I'm going into the city tomorrow, first to Central Park to walk around for a bit and then afterward I was thinking of venturing outside of Manhattan for a bit. Last time I went into the city and took the #4 from Grand Central to Woodlawn and went to Katnoah Avenue, which I really liked alot. Most of the locals I came across were really nice guys. I heard somewhere that McLean Ave in Yonkers would offer a similar experience in terms of Irish culture. Is this true? Katnoah Ave was cool but I'd also be interested in checking out this area as well if it would offer something similar. Does anyone know this area at all? If I were to take the #4 again to Woodlawn, would I be able to walk to this street from the subway stop? If so, is it far and is it safe? I'm pretty familiar with Manhattan and this part of the Bronx, but I know nothing about Yonkers.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 11:01 PM

600 posts, read 2,092,013 times
McLean Ave---on the Yonkers side of the border--has a few good restaurants. I would recommend Eileen's Country Kitchen which is right off Kimball Avenue.

The "Irish" stuff on McLean Ave. is limited mostly to east of Kimball Ave. Besides a few places to eat and bars there is not much. There is a suburban feel---very little of the "charcater" that exists on Katonah Ave.

May I also suggest a walk down Van Cortlandt Park East

Old 04-25-2009, 11:54 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
It's a bit of a hike from the 4 train to McLean Avenue, but much closer from the Woodlawn Metro North stop. And, since you're staying within the city limits, you can get a city fare for $3.25 to Woodlawn from GCT. It's still about half a mile or so away from McLean Avenue at its terminus with Bronx River Road. From the 4 train, you would be able to walk by the cemetery as opposed to the more congested area nearer the Metro North tracks and Wakefield, but it's a longer walk and a longer train ride on the subway.

The Metro North tracks are east of the 4 train, but the Woodlawn Station is at E233rd, near Our Lady of Mercy Hospital, so it's a walk up Webster to the northwest to McLean which begins to the northwest. It's less than a mile to the majority of places of interest on McLean itself, and it's near Van Cortlandant Park East as was mentioned above.

Rory Dolan's is a pub on McLean that is popular, and sometimes features live entertainment, though generally not on Sunday afternoons. However, Sunday evenings, from 5pm, they do have a weekly traditional Irish music session with various groups from the region. It's also not difficult to get a cab back to Woodlawn if you want to catch the train back to Connecticut from there, since you're already on the New Haven Line.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:59 AM

11,299 posts, read 18,892,517 times
I highly recommend Rory Dolan's. And while it is very much the "authentic" big-city Irish pub experience, it is very "un-insular" in terms of being a hospitable environment for both out-of-towners and people who aren't Irish. I have gone there many times and have many friends both Irish-American and not (I am not, except on St. Patty's Day ) who enjoy the place. In fact, I met the band I used for my wedding over a decade ago through contacts there, so very very open and friendly.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:35 PM

2,496 posts, read 4,723,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
I highly recommend Rory Dolan's. And while it is very much the "authentic" big-city Irish pub experience, it is very "un-insular" in terms of being a hospitable environment for both out-of-towners and people who aren't Irish. I have gone there many times and have many friends both Irish-American and not (I am not, except on St. Patty's Day ) who enjoy the place. In fact, I met the band I used for my wedding over a decade ago through contacts there, so very very open and friendly.
Thank you for that advice. Unfortunately I didn't make it to Yonkers yesterday. I spent a few hours first in Central Park then Riverside Park, and I ended up walking around Riverdale where I found a neat little Irish pub for some grub. But I'll definietly keep that place in mind next time I go into the city. I like going to places that are off the beaten path, and I LOVE ethnic restaurants (in my town we have some amazing Asian restaurants since there'sa large Asian population in my town right off the boat, but sadly no Irish culture )

Anyway, thanks again. I saw on another post that you may be coming to the Hartford area for a bit. If you ever need any help or have any questions about moving locations or whatever it may be, let me know. I'm just west of the capitol and don't spend a whole lot of time there, but I know the area well.

Thanks also to everyone else for your input.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:07 PM

1 posts, read 9,754 times
Hi I am an Irish student moving to America and i'm just wondering if anyone could advice me on renting an apartment or house in the Woodlawn, Yonkers area around McLean avenue and Katonah avenue.

Thank you!!

Old 08-07-2014, 08:44 PM

1 posts, read 5,239 times
Hi,
Check out cregslist NY, you will get plenty of apts there, do not dish out any money to anyone until you get here, if you need help, I'd be glad to help you. I'm from Ireland and livin here 17 years.

Peace out homie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County