Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2022, 03:55 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,943,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saketsiamese View Post
Italian Americans- last "safe" ethnicity that is acceptable to disparage. These types of threads would never be tolerated if directed at any other nationality or race.
Yes, I wonder what the reaction would be if somebody asked similar questions about living in a black neighborhood in Mount Vernon, or some such thing.

I lived in Eastchester for a long time, most of my childhood and into young adulthood, but I moved out almost 27 years ago. I am not Italian, but I always found it a pleasant place to live. Most importantly, the crime rate was very low and I never really worried about my safety there. That has always been very important to me.

There was always an Italian element there, and some guidos, but they were part of the picture. There were lots of Irish also as well as other ethnic groups. I never particularly cared about such things so I didn't pay much attention. Maybe it has become more heavily Italian than it was at the time I lived there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2022, 07:27 PM

136 posts, read 132,707 times
Hi there. I bought in Eastchester, leewood area (or is it Westchester park), walking to crestwood station almost 2 years ago. I am an immigrant but not Italian I love the area, some of my neighbors are Italian and they are amazing! My daughter is in Greenvale and she is friends with Japanese, Russian and Albanian decent girls. I am very happy the way things are, there are actually a significant number of Japanese families around us and that’s really cool. I was more afraid of some conservative views in town but turned out that didn’t impact me. Everyone around me is very accepting and nice. I think whatever Eastchester is a nice town and if you find a house you like I don’t think you should worry about the Italians . I am also very happy with the fact my neighbors are not just bankers and lawyers but also teachers and firefighters (even though my husband is a banker). Good luck to you

Old 05-16-2022, 12:52 PM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times
Seeing this 8 year old thread bumped I thought I'd comment, since I think there's a perception now about Eastchester being "Italian" that is different than the kind given in the original thread.

The perception is that Italian-Americans in the tri-state region tend to be more conservative politically on average than the region as a whole (Staten Island supposedly being some of the evidence). So nowadays Eastchester is considered to have a more conservative, even pro-Trump vibe compared to much of the county (a similar thing is said for the Crestwood neighborhood of Yonkers) so if that is not you, there are plenty of other places in Westchester where you'd be a bit more comfortable. But much less to do with the ethnicity itself now. Driving around both areas, I will say that back during the 2020 election, I did see more Trump signs on lawns than in other parts of Westchester.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County