Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 01:37 PM

9 posts, read 12,193 times

Advertisements

Thanks dr.strangelove.

We'd rather spend more on the house to go to good public schools
since we have 3 kids.

At least you get the equity back when you sell the house in the future.

Private schools are well...3 x tuition... can not recoup costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 01:43 PM

374 posts, read 1,059,021 times
Scarsdale. High taxes but with your thinking, you pay 1/3 of the tuition people with 1 child pay!

Old 03-11-2015, 02:41 PM

2,211 posts, read 2,155,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdcity View Post
Scarsdale. High taxes but with your thinking, you pay 1/3 of the tuition people with 1 child pay!
The only issue is that it is a terrible commute to Tarrytown. You have to go up the hutch and then back over 287, which is a nightmare in the mornings. The smaller roads in the morning are worse with school buses and traffic. Also, most I deal with (realtors and attorneys) seem to think Scarsdale schools are living off the past reputation and other schools have passed them by. Still great, but no where near as good as the past.

Old 03-11-2015, 05:38 PM

Ok I'm closing on Irvington or Hastings.

Other than Pleasantville, any towns north of Tarrytown with good public elementary schools?

Old 03-11-2015, 07:42 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,034,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craiggsean View Post

Other than Pleasantville, any towns north of Tarrytown with good public elementary schools?
Pretty much all of them apart from Mt Kisco. Ask about specific towns for specifics.

Old 03-12-2015, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craiggsean View Post

You are talking about an area where the best schools are usually nationally ranked and the "bad" schools are in the top 10% pf the state. Its one of the best areas for schooling in the country. Taxes are insane, but there is a reason for it. The schools spend a lot per pupil. There are a few districts which are not truly bad, Ossining, Tarrytown, Mt Kisco, are light years ahead of most of the state, but they are just not in the same league as the others. Briarcliff is amazing. They really are all great. I would stay north of 287, only because its got lower population density, but that is something I value a great deal. I live on a couple of acres, but I commute 90 minutes each way.

Old 03-13-2015, 05:21 AM

I have to check out Briarcliff-manor now. :-)

Old 03-13-2015, 07:46 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,034,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
You are talking about an area where the best schools are usually nationally ranked and the "bad" schools are in the top 10% pf the state. Its one of the best areas for schooling in the country. Taxes are insane, but there is a reason for it. The schools spend a lot per pupil. There are a few districts which are not truly bad, Ossining, Tarrytown, Mt Kisco, are light years ahead of most of the state, but they are just not in the same league as the others. Briarcliff is amazing. They really are all great. I would stay north of 287, only because its got lower population density, but that is something I value a great deal. I live on a couple of acres, but I commute 90 minutes each way.
And let's be clear about Mt Kisco. It's Mt Kisco elementary that's the concern. It's the Bedford school district and the middle school and HS combine with Bedford and Pound Ridge. Fox Lane HS does as well as the other brand-name districts when it comes to getting kids into the Ivies. Mt K provides the "diversity" that some seem to crave but also drags down test scores.

Old 03-13-2015, 08:03 AM

222 posts, read 540,919 times
A bad grade school? In Mt. Kisco? What a joke. What are they teaching long division, multiplication, and spelling. If kids can't perform in a grade school in rural Westchester county because they happen to be around some Spanish speaking kids they don't have a shot at the ivies in the first place.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westchesterwannabe View Post
A bad grade school? In Mt. Kisco? What a joke. What are they teaching long division, multiplication, and spelling. If kids can't perform in a grade school in rural Westchester county because they happen to be around some Spanish speaking kids they don't have a shot at the ivies in the first place.
Respectfully, I think elementary education is significantly more involved than you let on. The race or language skills of the students has nothing to do with the strength of an elementary school. The class size/overcrowding, teacher evaluation and retention, early recognition of educational disabilities and appropriate responses, funds management/tax base and availability of music/art, physical education and introduction to sciences, all all very much impact elementary schools. Also, the recent changes to elementary education in the "common core" testing has resulted in significant problems for some elementary schools. Most individual districts develop their own early math programs, and these can vary widely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County