Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2015, 08:50 PM

1 posts, read 2,559 times

Advertisements

We are a young couple going to be moving up to that area soon from where we currently live in NC. The place that we found is on the corner of Riverdale Ave and Nepperhan Ave. Lots of people have told us to beware of Southwest Yonkers but I wasn't too sure of what that area started. Others have said that this area is good, but we don't really have the ability to go up and check it out before we move. Can anyone tell me more about how safe this area is, preferably current residents or people who have been there in the past 5 years or so... Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 06:25 AM

653 posts, read 782,086 times
I lived in Yonkers, NY for 7 years and recently moved to Charlotte, NC. I still have my apartment in Yonkers, NY on Central Avenue. When I was looking for a place to buy in Yonkers, I visited Southwest Yonkers and found that for me personally, I would only consider living in this part of Yonkers if it was right on Riverdale Ave. no further north of Valentine Lane. I came close to buying an apartment right at the border of Yonkers and the Riverdale section of the Bronx, but I opted to buy along Central Avenue because I thought the area was safer and gave more options for shopping, eating out, commuting, etc. It'd be nice if you could go visit the area before committing to it, but if you are set on moving here, I would recommend looking at any of the buildings along Riverdale Avenue, south of Valentine Lane. I know it's not a very big area, but I hope this helps.

Old 06-28-2015, 08:37 AM

9 posts, read 12,007 times
I am an employee of the city and a life long resident. I certainly wouldn't consider that area safe. Yonkers is a very diverse area and the southwest parts of the city are run down. However, there are some very nice areas but I would look into the school system if you are concerned with there education. The school system does not operate on a district based system so your children might end up going to school further away than expected as well as some poorer ranking schools. The zip code area of 10710 and 10708 are very nice. What is your budget for rental or home purchase price?

Old 06-29-2015, 08:21 AM

2,042 posts, read 2,903,494 times
If you are looking on Riverdale (Warburton) / southwest Yonkers, then I would recommend either south of Valentine Lane or north of the Hudson River Museum.

Old 06-29-2015, 05:59 PM

2 posts, read 3,757 times
I love Dunwoodie, Yonkers near St Joseph Seminary College.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 09-03-2015 at 09:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County