Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 12:40 PM

7 posts, read 8,690 times

Advertisements

FYI, Rye Neck has homework for kindergartners. Typically 1-2 sheets a day, plus a short book at the child's level to read (parent must log on a sheet.) The exact homework depends on the child's level and which teacher you get. No homework on Fridays. My understanding is that the HW is mandatory but it never took my son long to do. However, I think it would be rough for a little kid to have to start this work after a long day including after-school care.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 12:04 PM

374 posts, read 1,059,021 times
Can you explain what you mean by mandatory? Do they report you to CPS if child does not bring homework? I'm guessing they can't force your child to repeat a grade since I haven't seen that in other schools at this age. So what do they mean by mandatory?

If I were you, I would:
1. not turn in the homework and don't worry about it
2. get involved with school board to try to repeal the mandatory homework rule
3. Change my perspective and realize what the school says is not the last word

But this is easy for me to say since i'm not in your situation.

Old 11-05-2015, 12:12 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,067,789 times
I'm not from your area, but my daughter in K gets homework most nights. She got pre-K homework too, though they were mostly writing or pre-reading types of work. It's not extensive - she's not expected to know multi-variable Calculus - but in total it takes 15-20 minutes a night. As a working mom, I understand how valuable family time is, but this work is laying the foundation of our children's education. No one learns anything without practicing it, and that's what the teachers are trying to do with these "homework" assignments.

Old 11-05-2015, 12:31 PM

222 posts, read 540,919 times
This is the problem with public schools. In private school if you "don't" want to do the homework your shown the door, in public school the parents join some board and pressure the school to change its policy because they don't want to deal with a cranky toddler when they get home from work. Meanwhile it's probably more work to fight with the school than spending 10 minutes tracing an airplane or whatever.

Old 11-05-2015, 02:35 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westchesterwannabe View Post
This is the problem with public schools. In private school if you "don't" want to do the homework your shown the door, in public school the parents join some board and pressure the school to change its policy because they don't want to deal with a cranky toddler when they get home from work. Meanwhile it's probably more work to fight with the school than spending 10 minutes tracing an airplane or whatever.

Just wait till they hit the "opting-out" crowd in later grades.
Those kids will be horrified once they leave school and find they can't opt out of a driving test and still get a license, can't opt out of coursework and still get a degree, can't opt out of working and still get paid, can't opt out of the gym and still keep fit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County