Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 10:13 AM

71 posts, read 104,652 times

Advertisements

Definitely on the right track! I second all the above districts and areas but will include Pelham, Tuckahoe and Mamaroneck. I've had clients relocate to Dobbs Ferry, Mamaroneck, Tuckahoe and Pelham, most rent first then purchase shortly thereafter. Good LUCK!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2016, 06:06 PM

2 posts, read 1,362 times
Hi are you looking for an apartment? I have to move to Chicago by the start of June and I have a two bedroom apartment I am trying to sublet - but you can start a new lease too. It is in Long Island City - one stop away from Grand Central but its such a nice area for families (I have a child). Let me know if you are interested.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:34 AM

11 posts, read 11,125 times
Hi! We may be interested. I am leaning more toward a "single-family" home, but I will keep you in mind. Thank you!

Old 05-02-2016, 04:17 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,007,056 times
As soon as you said a 45 minute commute, I thought of Westchester. But like an earlier poster said, search by school district, not town. If you'd consider an hour commute is recommend Orange County, and then give u school districts...but with your income you how,d be all right in Westchester. Just make sure you get the right school district .

Old 05-03-2016, 11:44 AM

So what are the "right" school districts? How do I find them?

Old 05-03-2016, 12:39 PM

2 posts, read 1,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Bound 78 View Post
So what are the "right" school districts? How do I find them?
Hi there, I'm in a similar situation, i.e. also just started house hunting in West Chester aiming at good school districts (especially for elementary/middle schools) and reasonable commute to Manhattan.
Here is the public school ranking I found, which could be a good starting point.

1.Edgemont School District
2.Scarsdale Union Free School District
3.Rye City School District
4.Chappaqua Central School District
5.Blind Brook-Rye Union Free School District
6.Bronxville Union Free School District
7.Rye Neck Minority Free School District
8.Byram Hills Central School District
9.Mamaroneck Union Free School District
10.Briarcliff Manor Union Free School District

Here's the original link
The Best School Districts In Westchester - Business Insider

Old 05-03-2016, 01:24 PM

354 posts, read 776,257 times
What is your criteria for a "good school district"? Is diversity important to you at all? If yes, cross off most of those in that list.

Old 05-03-2016, 02:24 PM

34 posts, read 55,625 times
My humble suggestion is that you think about what you think makes a school district "good," and give some consideration to whether it lines up with the criteria used to generate the "top 10" list above (from Business Insider). I'm certainly not going to argue that Edgemont, Scarsdale, Rye, etc., are not "good" schools. I'd note, though, that if you ranked the wealthiest places in Westchester, you'd wind up with a list that looks a lot like that list of the "best" schools. Again, that's not to say the schools aren't good. It's simply to say that those school districts educate kids who are almost uniformly wealthy, and whose parents tend to be (1) highly educated, and (2) willing to spend on tutors and other tools to help their kids academically. There's little reason I know of to think those school districts are outperforming others, when you account for those out-of-school advantages that their students have. It's also worth considering that what makes those districts the "best" according to entities like Business Insider (largely - their standardized test scores) also make them extremely competitive, which not everyone views as a clear advantage over other districts.

Old 05-03-2016, 03:24 PM

Thanks for your input!

Old 05-03-2016, 06:59 PM

973 posts, read 1,412,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK153 View Post
My humble suggestion is that you think about what you think makes a school district "good," and give some consideration to whether it lines up with the criteria used to generate the "top 10" list above (from Business Insider). I'm certainly not going to argue that Edgemont, Scarsdale, Rye, etc., are not "good" schools. I'd note, though, that if you ranked the wealthiest places in Westchester, you'd wind up with a list that looks a lot like that list of the "best" schools. Again, that's not to say the schools aren't good. It's simply to say that those school districts educate kids who are almost uniformly wealthy, and whose parents tend to be (1) highly educated, and (2) willing to spend on tutors and other tools to help their kids academically. There's little reason I know of to think those school districts are outperforming others, when you account for those out-of-school advantages that their students have. It's also worth considering that what makes those districts the "best" according to entities like Business Insider (largely - their standardized test scores) also make them extremely competitive, which not everyone views as a clear advantage over other districts.
Your points are well stated but I would argue that when people identify a school district as being excellent what they are really saying is that the schools are populated by students who are almost exclusively from families that they wish their kids to associated with - families that have both parents at home and the parents are highly educated, mature, financially secure, committed to their children time-wise and don't commit crimes, or abuse drugs or alcohol. This is what makes a school good. It's not necessarily true that the teachers are better or the facilities better.

Thus, while its correct to point out that high performing school districts owe their performance levels to the advantaged families that populate the district, it's rather irrelevant. People want their kids at high performing schools along side high performing families. I live in a district that is universally thought of as being good. Nearby is a district that is universally thought of as bad. If the governor somehow ordered that all the students from my district shall attend this nearby district and vice versa, than my district would overnight be the bad one, and the other one would be the good one. In short, it's the families that define the district more than anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County