Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 09:53 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,385,589 times

Advertisements

The other day, my husband and I took a drive thru Westchester and we drove thru Rye. Only as outsiders, we really really liked what we saw. It was so clean, the town was soooo cute, the people who helped us with direction were so nice.
We went home and I went online and checked out school system and was extremely impressed!!! Since we are considering to relocate from Brooklyn, we want to find the area we will enjoy living in!!!
I went to work the next day and spoke to my coworker who lives in Rye. She said it's only 38 minutes to the city by MetroNorth!!! Great commute! Faster then my commute from Brooklyn.
Checked out prices for homes and stumbled. They seem steep, to say the least.

Can anyone tell me more about Rye! Are there any new condo developments? Is it easy to find something to buy? Can I find anything in 400K price range? Ideally would like to live my railroad.

Someone also suggested Bronxville. I would like to hear of Bronxville as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 08:48 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,260,120 times
Rye and Bronxville are probably the most expensive communities in Westhchester County. For 400K you might be able to find a 2-bedroom coop.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:30 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,385,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Rye and Bronxville are probably the most expensive communities in Westhchester County. For 400K you might be able to find a 2-bedroom coop.
Yes, I just did my research today...and unfortunately with co-ops I need to put at least 10%downpayment, can't getaway with 5%.
What is the rent like around those areas?

Old 02-25-2008, 03:44 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times
Rent? In Rye? I don't think so. Rye is a community of owners.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:40 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,370,322 times
The cheapest real estate in that area of Westchester are probably the co-ops on Garth Road. These are located next to downtown Scarsdale but are zoned for Eastchester's schools.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:26 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,306,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Yes, I just did my research today...and unfortunately with co-ops I need to put at least 10%downpayment, can't getaway with 5%.
What is the rent like around those areas?
There are more rentals in Mamaroneck or Larchmont, which are a bit closer to GCT than Rye. Even Harrison near the train station has some rentals.

Old 03-05-2008, 01:09 PM

43 posts, read 172,611 times
Im sure you can find some rentals in Rye! If you love it, you should try anyhow. I think you should be able to find something reasonable. Good luck

Old 03-09-2008, 10:43 AM

8 posts, read 54,146 times
Bronxville is a 30 min. train ride from midtown but this ideal location does come at a steep price. I live here and work midtown and it is a great commute! Renting is expensive - to give you an idea: a 2 BR apt right at the train station is super convenient, not to mention NOISY and rumbling, and is currently on market for rent at $2900. It's a 3rd floor walkup - I know the family who just moved out. There's a 6BR house for $9000 on the edge of town next to Tuckahoe. The 2 BR apt is on the west side of the tracks while the 6 BR house is on the east side of the tracks where the town, school, PO, library, boutiques, supermarket and restaurants, are all located. Convenience and quality don't come cheap around here!

Old 03-09-2008, 12:12 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,370,322 times
Obviously Bronxville and Tuckahore are really nice, but they aren't that affordable. Bronxville has one of the best public school systems in the state, if not the country. I'm sure Tuckahoe isn't far behind.

Old 03-09-2008, 01:20 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,260,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
Obviously Bronxville and Tuckahore are really nice, but they aren't that affordable. Bronxville has one of the best public school systems in the state, if not the country. I'm sure Tuckahoe isn't far behind.
Perhaps Bronxville has one of the best school systems in the state because it is in one of the most affluent districts in the state. I doubt anyone can prove that the typical BHS math teacher, for example, is better than the typical math teacher in a dozen other Westchester districts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County