Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2016, 04:36 PM

195 posts, read 297,311 times

Advertisements

Got a survey done for the house we're in contract on and the land is mapped out and measured, but although the house is drawn in, there are no measurements of the house itself. Isn't that standard? I though the point of a survey was to see the exact dimensions of the house, property and any structures within that property (sheds, pools, decks, ect)
Our survey on our Bronx house has dimensions, and family on Long Island had a recent survey done, also with house/deck/pool measurements. Is this just not the norm in Westchester or did our surveyor drop the ball here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2016, 06:05 AM

2,211 posts, read 2,155,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymtea View Post
Got a survey done for the house we're in contract on and the land is mapped out and measured, but although the house is drawn in, there are no measurements of the house itself. Isn't that standard? I though the point of a survey was to see the exact dimensions of the house, property and any structures within that property (sheds, pools, decks, ect)
Our survey on our Bronx house has dimensions, and family on Long Island had a recent survey done, also with house/deck/pool measurements. Is this just not the norm in Westchester or did our surveyor drop the ball here?
You get exactly what you ask for. A surveyor can measure and include as much detail as you want, but more work is more money. I have seen surveys which include house and outbuilding measurements, and seen those that only include locations on the property. Look over the contract and see what it says. If it required more, make sure you get what you agreed to. Good luck.

Old 09-28-2016, 06:28 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
I've always found surveys include the basics which includes the measurements of a house/structure on the property. Have you asked the company?

Old 09-28-2016, 07:24 AM

Our lawyer set up the survey and she said surveyors don't measure the structures, just the property. It seems like for a grand there should at least be dimensions of the house....
I'll have to look at the fine print. Just wasn't sure if it was just a Westchester thing since I never had a survey done in this county.

Old 09-28-2016, 07:26 AM

3,841 posts, read 1,979,511 times
My father and brother are land surveyors. You probably got and received a basic title survey (minimum required for lender when purchasing a house). However, most title surveys will give dimensions for the land, structures, fences etc.
If your lender had survey requirements the surveyor most likely did only what they asked for. If the survey is not sufficient, you will be told by the title company and the surveyor will have to add whatever requested.

Old 09-28-2016, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
My father and brother are land surveyors. You probably got and received a basic title survey (minimum required for lender when purchasing a house). However, most title surveys will give dimensions for the land, structures, fences etc.
If your lender had survey requirements the surveyor most likely did only what they asked for. If the survey is not sufficient, you will be told by the title company and the surveyor will have to add whatever requested.
That makes sense - thank you lisancole1. I believe it was the bank that wanted the survey so that makes sense that they only did what the bank required. I guess we'll see soon enough if we ever close on this house!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County