Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 09:56 PM

231 posts, read 785,283 times

Advertisements

So, Jackson Hole is one of many places I've applied to for jobs in my field. I know it has a reputation for being expensive to live because wealthy people like to build expensive second homes there, or whatever.

I'm just a single young guy. The potential job would pay better than a usual service/labor job. I noticed some of the other people who worked there were around my age and single so I know it must be doable somehow.

If needed, I would live in a nearby town like Moose or Hoback or something if it were cheaper there and commute to Jackson.

Any natives or others with experience about that area have any insight? I saw a few apartment listings online that were in the affordable range, but what's the rest of the cost of living like? Are groceries and utility bills expensive too?

As for me, I'm an outdoors-loving guy and I know about the supposed frigid cold winters they get there. I've got north blood in me and would rather have it be -10 outside than 90, the cold winters are actually one reason I WANT to move to that part of the country, haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 10:04 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,607,653 times
If you can afford the rent you can afford Jackson. Groceries will be a bit higher because of locaton and less competition. But Walmart, whatever the closest is, will be the same. Utilities will be in the normal Wyoming range.

Apart from housing and entertainment world class resorts don't cost much more than other places. Working class people in Aspen can have very pleasant lives.

Jackson is snowy but hardly the cold spot of Wyoming; summers are delightful.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:44 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,240,340 times
I agree with Happy. Google the cost of living index for Jackson and I think you'll find that it's not exorbitant. The average home price in Jackson Hole is high, but much of that is due to huge, fancy homes on very expensive acreages. The average price for clothing is expensive, but that's partly due to the labels that are geared to tourists. If you just want a small apartment in town and will have a decent income, it should be doable. I've looked at home prices there. Yeah, they're high priced compared to what's in my town (Gillette), but not beyond the reach of middle income earners. It's at least worth a look-see. Compared to commuting 40-50 miles a day, a small apartment in Jackson might be cheaper. You'll also find that a lot of single guys will share an apartment to help with living expenses. Think college days.

I do not live there and never have. I've had friends who did, and my daughter did for awhile, but understand that my opinion is one from the outside.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:32 AM

774 posts, read 2,583,222 times
My niece lived in Jackson a few years ago and lived with 4 other college students to make it work. Keep in mind, these were broke college kids working broke college kid kind of jobs. At that, she absolutely thought it was worth it. If you've found apartments in the affordable range, then the cost of living should be fine. I live in Cody and gasoline is actually cheaper in Jackson and groceries are about the same.

Moose wouldn't be somewhere you could live. It's actually in the park and the only people living there are park service staff and those whose families have in-holdings in the park.

It is indeed a beautiful spot with lots of outdoor recreation opportunities available. I was there just this weekend and the weather was perfect and the crowds minimal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerK View Post
So, Jackson Hole is one of many places I've applied to for jobs in my field. I know it has a reputation for being expensive to live because wealthy people like to build expensive second homes there, or whatever.

I'm just a single young guy. The potential job would pay better than a usual service/labor job. I noticed some of the other people who worked there were around my age and single so I know it must be doable somehow.

If needed, I would live in a nearby town like Moose or Hoback or something if it were cheaper there and commute to Jackson.

Any natives or others with experience about that area have any insight? I saw a few apartment listings online that were in the affordable range, but what's the rest of the cost of living like? Are groceries and utility bills expensive too?

As for me, I'm an outdoors-loving guy and I know about the supposed frigid cold winters they get there. I've got north blood in me and would rather have it be -10 outside than 90, the cold winters are actually one reason I WANT to move to that part of the country, haha.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:36 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,193,983 times
As one who owns income real estate SFH's and duplexes in a comparable year-round resort area (in Colorado), I have found that most working people (ranging from blue-collar through to professionals, such as RN's) without an independent additional income struggle financially to keep a roof over their heads and afford modest material goods for their lifestyle.

A huge part of their compensation is essentially down to the ready access to the outdoor activities on their doorstep, be it winter snow sports or summer hiking/biking/camping/fishing, etc ... and the enjoyment of the climate, views, and social scene that presents.

Typically, my tenants are non-related groups of people who split the housing costs of lease payment and utilities. For a lot of them, having two (or more) jobs is needed to support themselves in the area, and their tip income jobs are the ones that pay the best. But that drops off during the mud or end of season tourist traffic and their paid shift hours drop off, too. The ones who are savvy enough to save for the slack times can make it, but the ones who don't can get into financial difficulties very quickly. Sometimes, two people in a bedroom are an "item", but it's rare to see these relationships last a long time in the party-time atmosphere of the resort communities, especially with the affluence that comes through the area.

IMO, you can "make it" financially in one of these towns and enjoy life if you can locally earn an above average income, but for most people ... it will not be totally independent living. Shared housing is the norm for most, because that's the easiest way to bring housing costs down to an affordable level. Perhaps one could view this as the sacrifice needed to be able to afford one's resort town habit.

I know this is a generalization, but it's been my experience with Aspen, Vail, Telluride, and similar ski resort towns in the Rockies for over 50 years. I've seen the progression from small mountain communities that were affordable to when the big money came in, then the bigger money came in, and then the yet truly affluent came in and drove the big money folk out. Perhaps you've seen the progression in Jackson where the ultra-wealthy have driven out the merely wealthy to areas such as Pinedale .... nearby, but still not the center of the activity.

Just like the down-valley worker bee communities that support Vail's labor pool, or the outlying small towns that support Aspen, Jackson has it's cluster of bedroom communities where many of the working class (blue collar and professional) live and commute to Jackson for their gainful employment. In any of these locations, it's apparent that many folk have figured out the only way the can "afford" a place like Jackson is to live somewhere else and bear the costs (and time obligation) of commuting .... all the way from Idaho or down toward the Star Valley.

Only you can determine if the cost-to-value ratio is affordable and justifiable. IF you know what your anticipated income will be, then you can seek out housing within your price range.

PS: When I was in Jackson a few months ago, I looked at the local "homes and land" glossy as well as a couple of real estate agencies ... SFH properties were all in the 7-figure range, with the lowest priced condo that I saw listed at the $500K price point. Affordable bargains aren't especially readily available for normal income level folk.

Last edited by sunsprit; 06-13-2012 at 08:59 AM..

Old 06-13-2012, 09:05 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,069,971 times
I would think that being young and getting a job that was above the local average on pay, would give you an advantage.

If possible, put some money aside for an escape plan. And then go for it. What have you got to loose? You may never get the opportunity to do something like this again.

Good luck in your decision.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:55 AM

3,649 posts, read 6,294,158 times
Allot of Jackson Labor force lives in Star Valley and over around Teton Valley Idaho, many ride the START bus to work, START Bus run thru Jackson all day too.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:23 AM

231 posts, read 785,283 times
Thanks for the info, everyone. I am not opposed to sharing space with other people for the sake of sharing expenses, I am a people person! One thing I like about moving different places is meeting the new people.

I think the fact that they even have the START bus system at all is fantastic. I probably wouldn't use it a lot for work, as my job would require me to be out of the office a lot so I'd need to drive my car. But I'm not averse to commuting from somewhere close by. Victor, Idaho, Wilson or Hoback would be preferable. Alpine and Moran would be a bit too far for a daily commute for my taste but I could suck it up if that was the only option.

Good to know that about Moose. Too bad, it looked like a beautiful little place. Of course all of this is moot if I don't get the job, but even if I don't get the job I applied for I might just look for other work in that area...from what I've read it sounds like the perfect place for me, at least for a while. Would be a shame to not get to experience it!

Old 06-13-2012, 11:22 AM

3,649 posts, read 6,294,158 times
Alpine not that bad we call the morning and evening run up and down the canyon the Jackson 500

Old 06-14-2012, 08:56 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,826,625 times
I lived in Jackson for 17 years and I was definately below "normal wealth". Recession has changed Jackson, I check the paper every week, still have close friends there. A few more places to rent, not nearly the number of jobs there used to. I looked at a copy of the paper from 2005, 10 full pages of jobs, both professional and service type. Now a page or two.

Should you bother? Not really sure but you live there for a year, if it doesn't work, try something else.I had a cheap rental a couple of blocks from the town square for many years. My landlords(longtime Jackson folks)
were getting old so they sold the place for big bucks, I then moved down to Hoback Jct for a few years.

Funny thing is the rich out of stater who bought the place removed the cabin, wanted to build a motel with underground parking. Having sufficient parking was strictly required by zoning. I asked him if he considered that below the cabin their were all kinds of water, sewer and other utility infrastructure. I kept the cabin looking good myself, that's how I got cheap rent. That was 1993, the lot is still empty, he does pay someone to weed wack the weeds.

If you like recreating in one of the most incredible valleys in the world, you might like it. Jackson is crazy busy in the summer, gridlock in the morning does happen in WyoDisney. Conversly it's only few minutes to get away from the crazyness and be in incredible country.

Many locals look at Yellowstone and Grand Teton national parks as flypaper. Keeps the crowds in one place. Plenty of awesome places to go that are not in the parks. Many still gets you an awesome view of the Tetons. Course, when I moved there I was in my mid-20's so for a few years I was a Teton peak bagging manianc. The good news most people still rather look at the Tetons rather then hike/climb in them. We usually started at 2AM to 4AM, tried to summit at around 11, as we are heading down most of the visitors that are hiking are on there way up.

I commuted from Hoback Jct to Teton Village and I always hit heavy traffic, mostly in the summer, before the jct to head towards Wilson. Hoback Jct is about 10 miles to Jackson, what few rentals are down there are mostly homes.

I guess I'm saying you should give it a shot. :smile:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming