Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 01:56 PM

6 posts, read 7,648 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I’m new here but I’m hoping that someone can help me out. I’m getting married next year and my fiancé and I are looking for potential homes in Westchester. He is in the FDNY and I’ll be working in midtown manhattan. Therefore we need something with an easy commute to NYC. We always lived in Staten Island but we want to move somewhere more outdoorsy yet affordable. We want a home to raise a family in. We were looking into Croton on Hudson. We love the mountains and the river but we were wondering if it can be boring for our future children to grow up in? Staten Island can be very cliquey. Do you think that Croton on Hudson is also cliquey? If so, does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 05:06 AM

326 posts, read 718,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New_Yorker91 View Post
Hey everyone,

I’m new here but I’m hoping that someone can help me out. I’m getting married next year and my fiancé and I are looking for potential homes in Westchester. He is in the FDNY and I’ll be working in midtown manhattan. Therefore we need something with an easy commute to NYC. We always lived in Staten Island but we want to move somewhere more outdoorsy yet affordable. We want a home to raise a family in. We were looking into Croton on Hudson. We love the mountains and the river but we were wondering if it can be boring for our future children to grow up in? Staten Island can be very cliquey. Do you think that Croton on Hudson is also cliquey? If so, does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks!
There is a thread called, "what's wrong with Croton" a few links down with good information. I lived there for years, it's safe and quiet, but could get boring, even for adults, imo. There are nice parks, Bear Mountain, West Point, close to Woodbury Commons, good shopping on Route 6, and I think there is a water park a little farther north, etc. I read Bill Clinton goes to Croton Point Park. I don't have kids, but I'm sure someone will reply to you about the schools, cliques, etc. In my experience with the adults, I found most keep to themselves in Croton, but that was years ago. Keep in mind, the back roads get very icy and you'll need to drive with caution in the winter.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeena View Post
There is a thread called, "what's wrong with Croton" a few links down with good information. I lived there for years, it's safe and quiet, but could get boring, even for adults, imo. There are nice parks, Bear Mountain, West Point, close to Woodbury Commons, good shopping on Route 6, and I think there is a water park a little farther north, etc. I read Bill Clinton goes to Croton Point Park. I don't have kids, but I'm sure someone will reply to you about the schools, cliques, etc. In my experience with the adults, I found most keep to themselves in Croton, but that was years ago. Keep in mind, the back roads get very icy and you'll need to drive with caution in the winter.

Hey, thanks for the input. We were also wondering if everything closes very early?

Old 02-21-2018, 09:37 AM

830 posts, read 1,093,256 times
Quote:
Hey everyone,

Thanks!
I would bet most people from Staten Island end up in NJ. Cranford comes to mind for example. I think Croton would be a huge culture shock compared to SI, I would spend a lot of weekend time in a place like that before committing to buying a house there. Budget would dictate a lot obviously.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanny13 View Post
I would bet most people from Staten Island end up in NJ. Cranford comes to mind for example. I think Croton would be a huge culture shock compared to SI, I would spend a lot of weekend time in a place like that before committing to buying a house there. Budget would dictate a lot obviously.
We have to live in NY state because my fiancé is in the FDNY and that’s the rule. So we can’t live in NJ:/

Old 02-21-2018, 11:23 AM

462 posts, read 550,039 times
Westchester blows Staten Island away. The commute to midtown is better also, and the schools are way, way better. It will definitely be a different vibe, Westchester is much more white collar and low key than Staten Island.

The downside- prepare to pay more. A lot more, a lot, lot more. And your commute will be more expensive also. If you can afford it, then Westchester is much better, don't expect to keep your SI friends though, most people in Staten Island don't leave the borough except to go shopping in NJ

Old 02-21-2018, 12:15 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,153,876 times
Quote:
Hey everyone,

Thanks!
Hello. I was born in the Port Richmond section of SI. I live a little north of Croton in Cortlandt Manor. My kids are in elementary school and middle school now, Lakeland district. I long ago left SI as it became too overcrowded for my tastes. I think you will get a lot more bang for your buck in Croton, Cortlandt Manor or Yorktown than anyplace further south. Lots of midtown cops and firemen call these areas home. Life is as boring as you want to make it for your kids. If your kids like sports, there is an active sports community up here. If your kids prefer the arts, music and dance are as popular here as in the city. We have not had a free weekend in months. But it is a lot of fun. As for cliquey, I am not sure I get the reference, but if you want to message me, I am happy to answer any specific questions. Its a great area with lots of very good families.

Old 02-21-2018, 03:17 PM

326 posts, read 718,872 times
Quote:
Hey, thanks for the input. We were also wondering if everything closes very early?
You're Welcome! There isn't much of everything to close early (lol). Most of the towns north of White Plains have the rural/country vibe, maybe you would be happier living close to or in White Plains which has a small city vibe? In other words, you definitely won't get any city vibe in the northern Westchester suburbs. I live in East Yonkers (southern Westchester County) and although there are plenty of good restaurants here, I find myself in the Bronx at least three times a week, as a matter of fact I was there today eating seafood at an outdoor restaurant on City Island taking advantage of the nice weather. I agree with the other poster who said visit Croton before you decide to live there, the rural thing might not be for you and your family. Good Luck!

Old 02-22-2018, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeena View Post
You're Welcome! There isn't much of everything to close early (lol). Most of the towns north of White Plains have the rural/country vibe, maybe you would be happier living close to or in White Plains which has a small city vibe? In other words, you definitely won't get any city vibe in the northern Westchester suburbs. I live in East Yonkers (southern Westchester County) and although there are plenty of good restaurants here, I find myself in the Bronx at least three times a week, as a matter of fact I was there today eating seafood at an outdoor restaurant on City Island taking advantage of the nice weather. I agree with the other poster who said visit Croton before you decide to live there, the rural thing might not be for you and your family. Good Luck!
Lol it will definetly be a while before we buy a house but I completely agree that we should spend more time there. We love the nature and the country so much but we are also such night owls lol. Maybe we will just be able to get over the idea of not being able to order late night food and stuff!

Old 02-22-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
Hello. I was born in the Port Richmond section of SI. I live a little north of Croton in Cortlandt Manor. My kids are in elementary school and middle school now, Lakeland district. I long ago left SI as it became too overcrowded for my tastes. I think you will get a lot more bang for your buck in Croton, Cortlandt Manor or Yorktown than anyplace further south. Lots of midtown cops and firemen call these areas home. Life is as boring as you want to make it for your kids. If your kids like sports, there is an active sports community up here. If your kids prefer the arts, music and dance are as popular here as in the city. We have not had a free weekend in months. But it is a lot of fun. As for cliquey, I am not sure I get the reference, but if you want to message me, I am happy to answer any specific questions. Its a great area with lots of very good families.
Oh you were right near me! I live in Westerligh. What I mean by cliquey is if the neighborhood is friendly and if it’s easy to make friends. We keep to ourselves for the most part but it would be nice to have a few friends in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County