Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2018, 03:34 PM

55 posts, read 73,108 times

Advertisements

House in Scarsdale with Eastchester schools vs house in Mamaroneck Rye Neck schools. Just curious ..pros and cons between towns
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2018, 08:18 PM

276 posts, read 398,165 times
Both school districts are highly rated. Key differences:
  • Size. Rye Neck is about half the size of Eastchester, so means slightly more volatility in student-teacher ratio from year to year. All you need is a high-enrollment grade and suddenly they have a high ratio. Just two years ago, they were below average and now they are above average. Also means slightly fewer cliques, since the school classes are quite small. This one is just about preference, with no real edge to either. I will say that Rye Neck is surprisingly well-staffed from a quality standpoint for its size.
  • Prestige. Depending on what you want, Rye/Mamaroneck is a slightly more prestigious address than Eastchester/Scarsdale. That and the proximity to the Shore contributes to higher property costs. It certainly feels slightly more upscale in Rye Neck (in both the good and bad ways).
  • Commute Times. Commute is similar, although the Eastchester line is straighter and slightly shorter than the Mamaroneck line.
  • Dining. Rye/Mamaroneck has slightly more varied good dining options than Eastchester, although you have Burrata and Piper's Kilt in Eastchester, which I love and are among the best of their kind in Westchester. Plus, you're slightly closer to White Plains which gets you nice variety.
  • Shopping. You're a lot closer to lots of different kinds of shopping in Eastchester. Rye Neck is reasonably close to Greenwich and slightly further away from White Plains. Since I prefer breadth of choice in White Plains/Hartsdale, I give the edge to Eastchester in this aspect.

I live in Rye Neck, so please don't misunderstand - Eastchester by all accounts is a great school district and choice. I like a lot of what I see there. I just didn't find houses that I liked at the time we were looking so it was eliminated pretty quickly at the time. We would have kept it in the mix if we had.

Old 06-04-2018, 06:35 AM

973 posts, read 1,410,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westchesterbuyer123 View Post
House in Scarsdale with Eastchester schools vs house in Mamaroneck Rye Neck schools. Just curious ..pros and cons between towns
Just keep in mind that the house in the Eastchester School District likely has a Scarsdale address, but is in the Town of Eastchester and not in the Village of Scarsdale. In my view this means you will be living in Eastchester and not Scarsdale. You will be paying taxes to the Town of Eastchester and not to the Village of Scarsdale, and will receive services from Eastchester and have available for use amenities of Eastchester - not Scarsdale. Especially if you have kids you will be an Eastchester family and not a Scarsdale family. You and your kids will self-identify with Eastchester and know well many Eastchester families. You will not get to know many from Scarsdale. Some people are well versed in such things. Others are not. It was hard to tell from your post.

Old 06-07-2018, 01:24 PM

376 posts, read 598,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 987ABC View Post
Just keep in mind that the house in the Eastchester School District likely has a Scarsdale address, but is in the Town of Eastchester and not in the Village of Scarsdale. In my view this means you will be living in Eastchester and not Scarsdale. You will be paying taxes to the Town of Eastchester and not to the Village of Scarsdale, and will receive services from Eastchester and have available for use amenities of Eastchester - not Scarsdale. Especially if you have kids you will be an Eastchester family and not a Scarsdale family. You and your kids will self-identify with Eastchester and know well many Eastchester families. You will not get to know many from Scarsdale. Some people are well versed in such things. Others are not. It was hard to tell from your post.
Not sure this lecture was necessary given OP himself said the house goes to Eastchester school. School is what matters. I don't think the vast majority of residents gives the slightest sh*t about municipal boundary per se.

Quote:
Prestige. Depending on what you want, Rye/Mamaroneck is a slightly more prestigious address than Eastchester/Scarsdale. That and the proximity to the Shore contributes to higher property costs. It certainly feels slightly more upscale in Rye Neck (in both the good and bad ways).

I live in Rye Neck, so please don't misunderstand - Eastchester by all accounts is a great school district and choice. I like a lot of what I see there. I just didn't find houses that I liked at the time we were looking so it was eliminated pretty quickly at the time. We would have kept it in the mix if we had.
The Rye part of Rye Neck is very nice, the Neck part not so much. Easterchester is definitely nicer than the later. Parts of Neck can be quite run down and more like downtown Harrison in general atmosphere and character.

Last edited by yiplong; 06-07-2018 at 01:36 PM..

Old 06-07-2018, 01:39 PM

3,841 posts, read 1,978,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yiplong View Post
Not sure this lecture was necessary given OP himself said the house goes to Eastchester school. School is what matters. I don't think the vast majority of residents gives the slightest sh*t about municipal boundary per se.

The Rye part of Rye Neck is very nice, the Neck part not so much. Easterchester is definitely nicer than the later.

I have to disagree with Yiplong. Some parts of Rye Neck located in Mamaroneck are very nice. For instance, Shore Acres section. There are also areas around Florence park and Bellows which are also very nice.
I am not familiar at all with Eastchester so I cannot compare.

Old 06-07-2018, 01:52 PM

376 posts, read 598,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
I have to disagree with Yiplong. Some parts of Rye Neck located in Mamaroneck are very nice. For instance, Shore Acres section. There are also areas around Florence park and Bellows which are also very nice.
I am not familiar at all with Eastchester so I cannot compare.
This is true, although I said "some" parts of Neck can be quite run down in the manner of downtown Harrison. I would say the majority of Neck is closer to downtown Harrison than Shore Acres. Now, there is nothing with Harrison, it's a perfectly fine town, so is Neck. This county is generally just fine outside of a few potentially problematic areas.

Old 06-08-2018, 08:28 AM

276 posts, read 398,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yiplong View Post
This is true, although I said "some" parts of Neck can be quite run down in the manner of downtown Harrison. I would say the majority of Neck is closer to downtown Harrison than Shore Acres. Now, there is nothing with Harrison, it's a perfectly fine town, so is Neck. This county is generally just fine outside of a few potentially problematic areas.
I think it's true that Eastchester is slightly more compressed from a stratification standpoint than Rye Neck. The top and bottom of Rye Neck certainly are higher and lower than in Eastchester. Both towns are very nice, so we're talking about small differences here.

Old 06-08-2018, 08:45 AM

973 posts, read 1,410,962 times
[quote=yiplong;52129181]Not sure this lecture was necessary given OP himself said the house goes to Eastchester school. School is what matters. I don't think the vast majority of residents gives the slightest sh*t about municipal boundary per se.

So you criticize my "lecture" .... with a lecture of your own. This is rich. And yes, I agree with you that the majority of residents are focused on school district, and not municipality. But this particular poster when out of his or her way to identify the prospective homes as being in Scarsdale with Eastchester schools, and being in Mamaroneck with Rye Neck Schools, and then summed up with a question about the towns. Are you open minded enough to believe that maybe, just maybe, this particular poster in interested in both the SD and the Town??? If they were only interested in school districts, it would have been easier and simpler for them to have just asked "home with Eastchester Schools vs home with Rye Neck Schools". And when you couple this with the fact that persons who ask these questions are likely to be "outsiders" (otherwise, they would probably already know about what they are asking), they may very well not understand the complex web of municipal and school boundaries in suburban NY. Hence my post alerting the OP to fact that this home in "Scarsdale" is, for all intents and purposes, not really in Scarsdale. Of course, the OP may already know this and/or not care. But I believe my response was more than fair given what was asked and the word choice used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County