Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2018, 08:01 AM

14 posts, read 20,934 times

Advertisements

Hello,
We are looking to purchase a house in Fleetwood section of Mount Vernon, It seem to be the safest part of the neighborhood. I want to know if anyone knows if Fleetwood has gotten better, worse, or the same the past 20 years? I would hate to see the problem of south Mount Vernon spill over to Fleetwood. I know currently, I am very comfortable in buying in White Plains, especially sections north east of the train station that is walking distance to train. That area seem to be similar to Fleetwood.

Also I see that they are building new apartments/condos by Fleetwood train station. I hope they will be able to rent them out market value. Would hate to see them go empty.

Thank you all for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 08:53 AM

454 posts, read 763,313 times
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/28/r...-new-york.html

This was in the NY Times 6 days ago.

I grew up in Fleetwood and visit often. It has only gotten better and better, in my opinion. Better restaurants and businesses. All they need is a good grocery (there were 2 for many years) but that will come in time. It is the prettiest neighborhood as you go north and east. The Mt. Vernon problems do not seem to have ever come near Fleetwood. The housing is still expensive (though not like Bronxville) and just as lovely as ever.

Old 03-06-2018, 10:32 AM

8 posts, read 14,107 times
I moved to Fleetwood last year and LOVE it!

Old 03-21-2018, 06:40 AM

5 posts, read 19,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roskybosky View Post
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/28/r...-new-york.html

This was in the NY Times 6 days ago.

I grew up in Fleetwood and visit often. It has only gotten better and better, in my opinion. Better restaurants and businesses. All they need is a good grocery (there were 2 for many years) but that will come in time. It is the prettiest neighborhood as you go north and east. The Mt. Vernon problems do not seem to have ever come near Fleetwood. The housing is still expensive (though not like Bronxville) and just as lovely as ever.

Fleetwood is very nice, to be sure, however while there is obviously a higher crime rate in the rest of Mt Vernon vs. Fleetwood, it's far from a crime-ridden place to live. The south side is mostly working class folks and plenty of multi-family houses. With a higher population comes additional crime, but we have never felt unsafe living here. I'm not trying to start anything, but the south side gets a bad rap that is not entirely deserved, and things are (admittedly not terribly quickly) changing here too.

Old 03-21-2018, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace Kang View Post
Hello,
We are looking to purchase a house in Fleetwood section of Mount Vernon, It seem to be the safest part of the neighborhood. I want to know if anyone knows if Fleetwood has gotten better, worse, or the same the past 20 years? I would hate to see the problem of south Mount Vernon spill over to Fleetwood. I know currently, I am very comfortable in buying in White Plains, especially sections north east of the train station that is walking distance to train. That area seem to be similar to Fleetwood.

Also I see that they are building new apartments/condos by Fleetwood train station. I hope they will be able to rent them out market value. Would hate to see them go empty.

I'm curious as to what "the problem of South Mount Vernon" is, exactly.

Old 03-23-2018, 11:09 AM

I think the poster means crime, shootings, gangs, etc.

Old 04-21-2018, 07:46 AM

8 posts, read 19,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace Kang View Post
Hello,

I love fleetwood. Easy walk to Fleetwood and Bronxville villages. Excellent commuter location (parkways, train under 30 mins to GCT). The planned apartments on broad street are touted as luxury apartments. They are supposed to be highly amenetized too.

We recently considered moving from our home (we have a 3 bedroom home and now have 5 kids!) but we couldn’t find anywhere else that fits the bill like Fleetwood does! If we do wind up selling, I’ll be sad to leave!

Old 05-04-2018, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roskybosky View Post
I think the poster means crime, shootings, gangs, etc.
It's hardly a wild west town south of MNR, you know.

Old 07-16-2018, 11:43 AM

Yes, Mount Vernon is thought to be much worse than its true reality. I grew up there, and many of my relatives lived there also. It is a lovely town, although much busier than it used to be, but I like the urban vibe. There are so many nice neighborhoods with amazing old homes. If Mt.V could get the schools straightened out, the real estate values would skyrocket by virtue of its location and convenience to the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County