Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2018, 07:23 PM

337 posts, read 356,268 times

Advertisements

Yorktown seems like a beautiful area with amazingly affordable homes (land, home sq footage) compared to other parts of Westchester.

What it doesn't have going for it is the absence of a railroad station (since the Putnam line decommissioned in the 50s based on research).

I am single, late 30s, no children and make low six figures.

Do any of you Yorktown-ites commute to NYC? Is it bearable? I'd most likely be driving to a Metro North station and commuting into Grand Central.

Initially, I was looking at North White Plains, but in the last two years, prices there have almost doubled. Newer and better looking homes are available further north minus the conveniences and amenities available in Southern Westchester.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2018, 05:44 AM

6,357 posts, read 4,175,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCareerGuy View Post
Yorktown seems like a beautiful area with amazingly affordable homes (land, home sq footage) compared to other parts of Westchester.

What it doesn't have going for it is the absence of a railroad station (since the Putnam line decommissioned in the 50s based on research).

Do any of you Yorktown-ites commute to NYC? Is it bearable? I'd most likely be driving to a Metro North station and commuting into Grand Central.

Initially, I was looking at North White Plains, but in the last two years, prices there have almost doubled. Newer and better looking homes are available further north minus the conveniences and amenities available in Southern Westchester.
IMO, Yorktown is a good place to live. It’s not too crowded since the zoning requirements are more spacious than White Plains, it’s is accessible to the highways, Greenway and you are close to everything that you might possibly need. Obviously the taxes are not low but that is to be expected if you are looking anywhere in Westchester or even the adjacent County of Putnam. I have lived in White Plains, Somers, Yorktown and Mahopac.

Good luck with your search!

Old 08-19-2018, 01:41 PM

180 posts, read 214,583 times
Most YKT commuters I know drive over to Croton and hop on the Hudson line. The quickest trains are just under an hour, so, depending on how far your home is from the station and how far your work is from GCT, you're looking at probably between 90-120 minutes door-to-door. That's about standard for a Manhattan commuter, some even push it to 180+ minutes. The general consensus from people who do it daily seems to be that it's "not too bad", and if you can get some work done on the train that's also a bonus.

Old 08-20-2018, 05:55 AM

2,208 posts, read 2,150,606 times
Quote:

I live in Cortlandt close to the Yorktown border. I can tell you that both towns are great towns, mostly families. Home values are cheaper due to the longer distance from the city. I drive down to croton to get the train because there are so many more train options and the express is 45 minutes to the city. From Yorktown factor in 15 minutes to get the train before 7am, probably 20 minutes after 7 am (of course this is average, parts of town are closer or further away). Is it bearable, of course, but everyone if different. for some an hour long commute to grans central, then add on whatever you commute after that is, would be unbearable. For me its great. But I can walk from grand central in under 10 minutes. If I had to go downtown, it might be too much. Both towns are great. If you have specific questions, can try to help. Good luck.

Old 08-20-2018, 08:02 AM

337 posts, read 356,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
I live in Cortlandt close to the Yorktown border. I can tell you that both towns are great towns, mostly families. Home values are cheaper due to the longer distance from the city. I drive down to croton to get the train because there are so many more train options and the express is 45 minutes to the city. From Yorktown factor in 15 minutes to get the train before 7am, probably 20 minutes after 7 am (of course this is average, parts of town are closer or further away). Is it bearable, of course, but everyone if different. for some an hour long commute to grans central, then add on whatever you commute after that is, would be unbearable. For me its great. But I can walk from grand central in under 10 minutes. If I had to go downtown, it might be too much. Both towns are great. If you have specific questions, can try to help. Good luck.
Thanks. I was able to drive around Yorktown, Mahopac and Cortlandt yesterday. Everything seems so close on a map, yet so far apart when you experience it and explore.

I may end up working in any of the four major boroughs, but still think the long commutes will be worth the environment in Northern Westchester. If I could afford White Plains, I'd be looking there as well.

Is traffic decent between 5:15-5:45 AM?

Old 08-20-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Thanks. I was able to drive around Yorktown, Mahopac and Cortlandt yesterday. Everything seems so close on a map, yet so far apart when you experience it and explore.

I may end up working in any of the four major boroughs, but still think the long commutes will be worth the environment in Northern Westchester. If I could afford White Plains, I'd be looking there as well.

Is traffic decent between 5:15-5:45 AM?
It has been awhile, but over 10 years ago I used to drive to Brooklyn from Cortlandt most days. At 5:30am, it was 45 minutes to an hour to Brooklyn driving. at 6:30 am, it was well over an hour and if I left after 7am, getting in by 9 was not certain. Early though, its fine.

i agree that the commute will be worth the life though. I have over an acre surrounding with woods. Its key for my life. Cortlandt has some great value, but stay out of the henrick hudson school district for now. The closure of the nuclear plant has resulted in a massive shortfall in school tax for that district. I would not move in until the district figures out what to do. Otherwise you may buy and taxes go up 15% after you buy.

The north and east of cortlandt is Lakeland school district, much better future for taxes. Mahopac is amazing, but imo, it is just too far. You are right, it seems like a few minutes, but its really far. Trains on the HArlem line, which go up through mid-county, have more stops and run through towns so go slower due to speed restrictions. The hudson line along the river has almost no roads crossing, so it really gets down to the city faster.

Old 08-20-2018, 06:28 PM

75 posts, read 108,067 times
Quote:
It has been awhile, but over 10 years ago I used to drive to Brooklyn from Cortlandt most days. At 5:30am, it was 45 minutes to an hour to Brooklyn driving. at 6:30 am, it was well over an hour and if I left after 7am, getting in by 9 was not certain. Early though, its fine.

i agree that the commute will be worth the life though. I have over an acre surrounding with woods. Its key for my life. Cortlandt has some great value, but stay out of the henrick hudson school district for now. The closure of the nuclear plant has resulted in a massive shortfall in school tax for that district. I would not move in until the district figures out what to do. Otherwise you may buy and taxes go up 15% after you buy.

The north and east of cortlandt is Lakeland school district, much better future for taxes. Mahopac is amazing, but imo, it is just too far. You are right, it seems like a few minutes, but its really far. Trains on the HArlem line, which go up through mid-county, have more stops and run through towns so go slower due to speed restrictions. The hudson line along the river has almost no roads crossing, so it really gets down to the city faster.
I take care of my grandson in Park Slope two days a week, and I live in Tarrytown. I leave between 5:50 and 6:00 am. On most days I am in Park Slope at 7:15. I have never made it in 45 minutes, but you must drive MUCH faster than I do, since I am starting out further south. (I go about 10 mph over the speed limit but not more than that. There are an enormous number of accidents that you see at that hour of the morning from people driving at high speeds bumper-to-bumper.

Old 08-21-2018, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisaHeron View Post
I take care of my grandson in Park Slope two days a week, and I live in Tarrytown. I leave between 5:50 and 6:00 am. On most days I am in Park Slope at 7:15. I have never made it in 45 minutes, but you must drive MUCH faster than I do, since I am starting out further south. (I go about 10 mph over the speed limit but not more than that. There are an enormous number of accidents that you see at that hour of the morning from people driving at high speeds bumper-to-bumper.
As I said, this was 10 years ago, so I cannot speak for today. I would take the Taconic to the Sprain to the Sheridan, get off at borough hall. I do drive about 80 to 85. The total drive distance is about 45 miles from my door to my old workplace. I will say not having to cross westchester certainly helps, since there is really no fast way to do it on a workday after 6 am. As long as I left by 5:30, I would average 80 the length of the Taconic, slow to 50 or so at the 287 exit, then back up to 80 for the sprain run until we got past gun hill road. As long as I was in the car by 5:30, by the time I got by the Bronx Zoo to get on the Sheridan, I would be down to 40 mph, but still moving. 15 minutes later, this location is a standstill and you crawl. Once on the Sheridan by 6:00 am, the drive to Borough Hall was about 15 minutes. By 6:15 am, this same drive was about 45 minutes. I tried leaving at many different times and I found that 5:30 was perfect. It was the latest I could leave and still not hit traffic until the south bronx.

Old 08-21-2018, 06:47 AM

75 posts, read 108,067 times
Quote:
As I said, this was 10 years ago, so I cannot speak for today. I would take the Taconic to the Sprain to the Sheridan, get off at borough hall. I do drive about 80 to 85. The total drive distance is about 45 miles from my door to my old workplace. I will say not having to cross westchester certainly helps, since there is really no fast way to do it on a workday after 6 am. As long as I left by 5:30, I would average 80 the length of the Taconic, slow to 50 or so at the 287 exit, then back up to 80 for the sprain run until we got past gun hill road. As long as I was in the car by 5:30, by the time I got by the Bronx Zoo to get on the Sheridan, I would be down to 40 mph, but still moving. 15 minutes later, this location is a standstill and you crawl. Once on the Sheridan by 6:00 am, the drive to Borough Hall was about 15 minutes. By 6:15 am, this same drive was about 45 minutes. I tried leaving at many different times and I found that 5:30 was perfect. It was the latest I could leave and still not hit traffic until the south bronx.
OK! That explains it. I try to stick to 60 mph. To me, 85 miles an hour is
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County