Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the most expensive heating method these days?
Gas 0 0%
Oil 7 50.00%
Electric 6 42.86%
Other 1 7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 08:01 PM

32 posts, read 126,612 times

Advertisements

I've never lived in a house.. and we are looking to rent first and then buy. Can anyone please comment on the different types of heat, pros and cons, and cost? I don't want to be surprised at the end of the month, stuck with a huge bill... we like to be warm, we have 2 young children but a huge heating bill will throw us off and we are on somewhat of a tight budget.... Most rentals has us paying that heating bill but it's hard to know ahead of time what it will cost.. all we know is that it's oil, gas or electric.. thanks Ill try to post a poll... not sure it will work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 04:17 PM

37 posts, read 156,179 times
Generally speaking, electric is the most expensive option; however, it's the cleanest and is 100% efficient. Natural gas and oil are less expensive, with natural gas being the cheapest right now (I think). Electric and natural gas are delivered right to your home and don't require deliveries. Oil requires deliveries and since you are storing it yourself, you'd have to decide when to buy it, since the price fluctuates, though there shouldn't be a large difference over a short period of time.

Because electric is more expensive, there should be a thermostat in each room to better control useage. Expect to be on the budge plan for electric. That means the electric company will monitor your useage for the first year, then divide your yearly amount by twelve so that you are paying the same amount each month afterwards. Without that, your electric bill could be extremely high in the winter due to heating. I mean REALLY high, possible $600 or more a month. After that first year, expect an average power bill of around $150, based on average useage.

The bottom line is that electricity, natural gas and oil are all commodities and, as such, fluctuate in price.

Old 04-16-2008, 06:47 PM

32 posts, read 126,612 times
Default bill

Thanks.. we are in a one bedroom in the city and one time our bill got up to $400 -- ridiculous. Most of the time in the winter is about $200. We bought new storm windows that were supposed to keep the cold out but it still gets pretty chilly bc we have very large windows. We used to do fine with much less heat but since we had kids we tend to want to keep it warmer... the space heaters are always on but are killing us.. so it sounds like we are already spending in the ballpark that we'll spend, I hope... thanks for your input. Some rentals include the heating which is really nice so we don't have to be too concerned.. we'd be mindful of it but not so concerned. Tks

Old 04-16-2008, 07:59 PM

269 posts, read 481,946 times
Default I can't say which is the most expensive...

but we have gas (forced hot air) and it is VERY expensive. For a 2400 sq ft house, our bill averaged $650 this past winter.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:19 PM

471 posts, read 1,476,591 times
I believe I have Oil. House is over 3,500 and it's like. $800 every two months.

It's not entirely that bad. The house is well insulated, so we never raise it more than 66.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:33 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,302,451 times
Here in the Southwest, no one, and I mean NO ONE, uses oil for heating.

Electric or Natural Gas and, in some rare cases, Propane are the trick.

The cost has a lot to do with your service provider. If there are multiple providers in a region, it is often best to check out utility rates as part of the house hunting process.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:00 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,379,515 times
Oil is very common in the northeast. Nearly every house and building in my neighborhood is run on oil, you can see those oil trucks going all over the place in the morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Here in the Southwest, no one, and I mean NO ONE, uses oil for heating.

Electric or Natural Gas and, in some rare cases, Propane are the trick.

The cost has a lot to do with your service provider. If there are multiple providers in a region, it is often best to check out utility rates as part of the house hunting process.

Old 04-17-2008, 06:16 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,967,890 times
I've had both oil and natural gas and MUCH prefer oil. Mostly because if anything goes wrong, getting things with natural gas fixed is a nightmare.

Old 04-20-2008, 04:50 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,025,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weapon X View Post
Generally speaking, electric is the most expensive option; however, it's the cleanest and is 100% efficient.
This is completely untrue....Electric IS the most expensive, however, it the least efficient. Electricty needs to be produced then delivered. To produce electricity, some type of fuel needs to be burned, some turbines run on coal, some on oil, they are trying alternate fuels. This is not a clean process, Have you ever seen the emmissions from a powerhouse? Then there is maintainance. Maintaining the turbines, the transformers, the wiring right to your home, Storm damage to wiring is expensive maintainance as well. This is why electricity is the least efficient and possibly the biggest polluter.

I think a gas burner has the cleanest emmissions, together with steam radiators would make the system the most efficient. However, gas is a product of crude, and is combustible.

On the other hand, Oil comes from the ground, It may smell a little, but houses don't blow up from home heating oil.

Old 04-20-2008, 04:57 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,302,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio M View Post
This is completely untrue....Electric IS the most expensive, however, it the least efficient. Electricty needs to be produced then delivered. To produce electricity, some type of fuel needs to be burned, some turbines run on coal, some on oil, they are trying alternate fuels.
In the west, our electricty comes from Hydro-Electric (Hoover Dam) or Nuclear (Palo Verde) or soon - from Solar. Additionally, any number of new home have their own solar power generation for their electric needs (not just hot water).

No coal nor oil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County