Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2020, 01:54 PM

10 posts, read 7,451 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

As a former NYer, I'm seriously considering returning. I currently live in Atlanta and returning to NY would mean living close to my son, his wife and the soon-to-be grandkids. I own my own home here and am planning to use the proceeds for either a co-op or a condo. Possibly in Yonkers. I'm seeking a one bedroom, acceptance of a pet situation.

Some questions:
  1. Is Yonkers walkable to shopping (grocery shopping specifically)?
  2. What are the best reasonably priced areas to live in Yonkers?
  3. Are there activities ..ie. library, museums, restaurants, etc.
  4. 55+ communities in the area
Any information related to residing there would be most appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2020, 04:56 PM

6 posts, read 5,911 times
You may want to look around the Saw Mill River Road (Rt 9A) area of Yonkers near Tuckahoe Road. Costco, Stew Leonards (I love that store!), Home Depot, Lowe’s, other shopping nearby... lots of restaurants. Museums, parks, tons of other shopping; easy access to parkways and public transportation. Also, check out along the Central Park Avenue area and around the Cross County shopping center.

Other parts of north Yonkers are also nice but do not have grocery shopping within walking distance; but may have a local deli or market instead. Other areas have the easy access to shopping but not necessarily safest to live.

Old 03-12-2020, 05:37 PM

7,320 posts, read 4,115,298 times
Yonkers spills into the Bronx. We looked at Yonkers. The Yonkers areas above Riverdale by the Hudson River is nicer. The areas of Yonkers towards the center and west close to New Rochelle are just plain awful.

Old 03-12-2020, 07:04 PM

93,185 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Yonkers spills into the Bronx. We looked at Yonkers. The Yonkers areas above Riverdale by the Hudson River is nicer. The areas of Yonkers towards the center and west close to New Rochelle are just plain awful.
Do you mean towards the east and Mount Vernon? I believe the northern third/half of the city is generally middle class.

Old 03-13-2020, 06:28 PM

7,320 posts, read 4,115,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Do you mean towards the east and Mount Vernon? I believe the northern third/half of the city is generally middle class.
I think so. The Northwest area of Yonkers around the Hudson River Museum is very nice. One family homes. I don't know how affordable or walkable it is.

The Northeast area by Sarah Lawrence College is nice too - it borders on Bronxville. There are many apartments but it still looks like someone would need a car and it's more expensive than the OP might want to spend.

OP call a realtor ask them to send you listings within your needs. When my son moved to Washington DC, a realtor did this for me. I found his apartment myself but it was a place to start.

Old 03-14-2020, 05:24 PM

67 posts, read 188,030 times
There are many co-ops in the area just north of Sarah Lawrence (Palmer Rd., Garrett Place, Bronxville Rd., and West Pondfield), and it's a short walk to Bronxville, which has a train station, hospital, restaurants, stores, library, grocery, farmers market, etc.

Old 03-16-2020, 08:22 AM

1,186 posts, read 965,640 times
The Greystone portion of Yonkers seems to be growing rapidly, though it looks to be targeted more towards city commuters. I'm not sure that the retail options within walking distance are plentiful there. You do have a nice view of the river, however.

I would second the options near Bronxville; a much nicer town with a compact business district and walkable layout.

Old 02-20-2022, 09:27 PM

9 posts, read 5,082 times
Still on Yonkers: A co-op I'm interested and in is on Bronx River Road. Grocery shopping seems about a half hour walk. Questions: Is Bronx River Road a good safe place to live? I'd love to know if there's a library and other social and cultural activities (movies?).

Looking for more info before I make the move.

Old 02-22-2022, 08:37 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,913,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E's GMa View Post
Still on Yonkers: A co-op I'm interested and in is on Bronx River Road. Grocery shopping seems about a half hour walk. Questions: Is Bronx River Road a good safe place to live? I'd love to know if there's a library and other social and cultural activities (movies?).

Looking for more info before I make the move.
Depending on where on BRR, you can easily get to the Stop & Shop in Cross County in 10 min or so. I live in Fleetwood, on the other side of the river/train tracks. I can't speak to your other asks, as I moved here right before COVID struck, so haven't sought those things out, I already had a network in the area to lean on.

While the area is walkable, I wouldn't live here without a car. Then again, I wouldn't live in Astoria without a car haha. So my perspective is likely skewed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County