Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2020, 05:31 PM

42 posts, read 36,960 times

Advertisements

Well I think it’s going to spread too
I don’t see why closing schools help honestly...if they do it to disinfect sure, if they want to close it every time someone gets corona I guess it’s good bye to the schools for ever
Kids are going to play outside, adults can be cooped but not the kids
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2020, 06:11 PM

7,348 posts, read 4,134,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmm777 View Post
Well I think it’s going to spread too
I don’t see why closing schools help honestly...if they do it to disinfect sure, if they want to close it every time someone gets corona I guess it’s good bye to the schools for ever
Kids are going to play outside, adults can be cooped but not the kids
Closing schools to clean them. It has to be done regardless of the missed time. Kids can play in their own yards staying six feet away from anyone.

1918 Spanish Flu infected 500 million people worldwide and killed an estimated 20 million to 50 million victims

1968 Hong Kong Influenza (H3N2) resulted in an estimated one million to four million deaths.

2003 SARS an estimated 774 people died.

2009 Swine Flu up to 575,400 people died.

I was the only person in my family to have the Hong Kong Flu. Only my husband had SARS and only my daughter had Swine Flu. In each case, we were really sick for two weeks. How illness takes hold in some people and not others is a mystery.

Quote:
New York City confirmed its second coronavirus case on Tuesday: a 50-year-old married father of four who resides in Westchester County, about 20 miles north of New York City. By Friday, at least 28 people who had direct or indirect contact with the man had been diagnosed with the virus.

At least 4,000 people in the state are being asked to self-quarantine out of an abundance of precaution, including members of the man's synagogue.
This is spreading fast. If people know they been expose, the self-quarantine will help. People just have to cope.

Old 03-09-2020, 06:59 PM

354 posts, read 776,138 times
Here's a question - what are we doing differently than was done in Italy, where it is now spiraling out of control? Are we (Westchester) going to become the epicenter like those towns in Northern Italy? I feel like the only way to avoid it is to shut everything down now. Need to give some time to allow any new cases to come out and be treated before it starts to overwhelm the system.

Old 03-10-2020, 07:39 AM

102 posts, read 72,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hominamad View Post
Here's a question - what are we doing differently than was done in Italy, where it is now spiraling out of control? Are we (Westchester) going to become the epicenter like those towns in Northern Italy? I feel like the only way to avoid it is to shut everything down now. Need to give some time to allow any new cases to come out and be treated before it starts to overwhelm the system.
You’re absolutely right in that the only way to stop it is to shut everything down now. Everybody should self-quarantine. Treat the new cases and stop the spread. It’s exactly the route China took which has so far shown to be successful. But that’s not happening. People are still going about their day as normal and there’s very little testing happening.
The reason why it “spiraled out of control” in Italy is because they underestimated this virus and failed to sufficiently test people for it. That sounds familiar because that’s EXACTLY what’s happening here in the US. And Westchester will be hit hard due to our proximity with NYC, where people are flying in from all over the world.

Old 03-10-2020, 11:08 AM

830 posts, read 1,093,502 times
Just announced that NY is deploying the National Guard to New Rochelle to help with coronavirus containment.

Old 03-10-2020, 11:53 AM

102 posts, read 72,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allanny13 View Post
Just announced that NY is deploying the National Guard to New Rochelle to help with coronavirus containment.
Genuine question: Can someone please explain to me the logic behind this of how this is supposed to help?

It sounds like they’re merely shutting down businesses and schools within the “containment area”. But they’re still allowing people to freely move about. Wouldn’t that just encourage residents of New Rochelle to go to other nearby towns to shop for supplies where they could potentially infect others if they themselves are unknowingly infected?
Cuomo said that the focus is "not really people, it's facilities”. Sounds like the wrong approach to me.

Old 03-10-2020, 12:38 PM

14 posts, read 13,994 times
If this is a health-related matter, why aren’t the public health officials providing updates during these dog and pony shows the governor feels compelled to provide us on a daily basis?

Old 03-10-2020, 12:43 PM

317 posts, read 312,049 times
Containing one mile radius within the city of New Rochelle is doing too little too late.

Old 03-10-2020, 01:00 PM

354 posts, read 776,138 times
According to this study, we are around 11 days behind Italy right now at the current rate of infection:

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/statu...30528346816512

We are going to need to shut down everything eventually. Every day we delay, is making the situation worse.

Old 03-10-2020, 02:05 PM

5,209 posts, read 1,796,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allanny13 View Post
I just heard this. This makes no sense to me. I live just outside the 'containment zone' and fail to see what good it will do to contain a tiny area. What Cuomo needs to do is shut down schools, public gatherings, and encourage people to stay at home if they can--county-wide. Where is the County Executive on this? There needs to be some sort of official plan here. Right now each school district is doing their own thing. Private schools are making their own decisions. Companies are making their own decisions. It's really sloppy. And people don't seem to be taking this hygiene thing seriously. In crowded Trader Joe's this morning customers were coughing without covering their mouth, etc. An organized plan will help keep people calm and keep the virus at bay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County