Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2020, 08:12 PM

27 posts, read 41,218 times

Advertisements

We went to drive around Pelham and Larchmont to get a feel for the towns (hard to do during a pandemic, but so it goes).

We thought they were both lovely towns, but we did notice that Pelham does not have as fleshed out a downtown shopping/dining area as Larchmont. And it appeared that the restaurants/coffee shops/stores that we saw did not seem as "high-end". We were wondering why that would be. Pelham appears to be in a very prime location—so close to the city—and with a well-to-do population that would likely spend the money to support businesses, and good schools, it would seem like a prime candidate for having a really nice downtown. Any information on this?

(* preemptively apologizing if I offended any Pelham residents, it is a very beautiful town regardless)
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2020, 05:57 PM

166 posts, read 175,645 times
As far as downtowns are concerned, if you're looking for more of an upscale feel, check out Rye, Scarsdale (Village), Bronxville and Armonk. Most of the towns I mentioned are filled with high-end shops, great restaurants and just and an overall good feel and vibe.

Old 05-04-2020, 10:31 AM

139 posts, read 212,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amherstms View Post
Pelham does not have as fleshed out a downtown shopping/dining area as Larchmont
We reached the same conclusion during our house hunt years ago. There's just not much going on there.

Old 05-05-2020, 01:16 PM

235 posts, read 247,826 times
I'm not a local, so this reply could be inaccurate. It seems that the Town of Pelham includes two incorporated villages dating to the 1890's, therefore with considerable zoning powers. I suspect that part of the Town lies outside the two villages, namely the shopping center that includes Panera's. Towns want income (from shopping centers), but the shopping center that straddles Westchester and The Bronx there does not add to the appearance and desirability of living in a classy neighborhood. The two village boards and one town board have been around for 130 years and perhaps have long determined that people could shop in New Rochelle (when it had Lord and Taylor's) or (in the present) west of the Hutchinson Parkway at Garden Avenue or near Panera's. Town and village boards set the tone, and apparently all three Pelhams have restricted restaurants and small stores. It's the choice of the politicians in those roles over the decades.

Old 05-09-2020, 06:49 AM

95 posts, read 196,306 times
This is the one real negative of Pelham. I live there.

That being said there has been an acceleration in the push to develop Wolf's Lane. My guess is that it will look materially different in 2-3 years. Most residents can walk to the downtown area. There are a handful of good restuarants in town, and prior to CV19, they did good business. The demand is there.

It is a beautiful town though. I would say that Pelham Heights and certain sections of Pelham Manor have the most pictureseque streets in all of Westchester

Old 05-17-2020, 07:25 PM

9 posts, read 9,675 times
Regarding Larchmont middle school, any thoughts about it? We drove by and it seemed like a ran down building, kind of creepy.

Old 05-21-2020, 09:59 AM

830 posts, read 1,093,256 times
Downtown Pelham is surprisingly disappointing given its demographics and location. I've always seen it as a huge missed opportunity, but they've been saying for 20 years it's going to improve. Otherwise a wonderful town.

Old 05-27-2020, 06:43 AM

10 posts, read 20,443 times
The "downtown" section of Pelham is in the Village of Pelham and locals are very supportive of the mom-and-pop shops there. In my opinion, the town needs to spruce up the entire Fifth Avenue strip by offering incentives for the businesses to coordinate the look of the stores and the buildings there. Pelham is a "fancy" town in that a lot of wealthy people live here, but there is also proximity to Mt. Vernon and New Rochelle that makes having big-box stores undesirable.
Pelham Manor has big-box stores in the non-residential area that borders Mt. Vernon and The Bronx (Fairway, HomeGoods, Modell's) most of which are now likely to close for good. That area is "across the Hutch border" and therefore not a downtown kind of area and many don't even realize they're in Pelham anymore, but serves its purpose for the town as a whole. Pelham is difficult to compare to Larchmont for that reason. The only real comparison is the houses - which are generally nicer in Pelham, in my opinion; and proximity to the city - and that's not much of a comparison because, for people like me, those 10 minutes on the train are golden. I can't even stay awake all the way to Larchmont.

Old 05-29-2020, 03:12 PM

10 posts, read 20,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe63 View Post
I suspect that part of the Town lies outside the two villages, namely the shopping center that includes Panera's. Towns want income (from shopping centers), but the shopping center that straddles Westchester and The Bronx there does not add to the appearance and desirability of living in a classy neighborhood.
--That area is part of the Village of Pelham Manor. Pelham is one town with 2 villages and each village has some named-neighborhoods. Fifth Avenue in The Village of Pelham is the "downtown" area of Pelham. It definitely needs sprucing up, but those old stores give the town a very "old town" vibe that attracts artsy types to the Village above the Manor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County