Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 10:10 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,501,684 times

Advertisements

Saw the LI version of it in their section so I though Westchester could get its own...

You know you're from Westchester when...

You're scared of New Rochelle (Wykagyl excluded) and Mt. Vernon.

Your parents don't care what you're doing on any given Saturday night.

You think the kids from Port Chester are hooligans.

The students in your school drive nicer cars than the teachers.

You tried to use the metro-north commuter pass of your parents when going to the city with friends, only to have the conductor point out that it is a commuter pass for a member of the opposite sex.

You say that you are 15 minutes outside the city, regardless of where you live.

You drove a Honda in 10th Grade and everyone called it the "Ghettomobile."

You're homophobic.

You know you have to act tough when going to The Galleria, or else you might get shot.

If you don't drive, the Metro North train is your best friend, assuming, of course, you're able to avoid the ticket-collector.

(girls only) 116 lbs=fat as a cow.

A trip into NYC for a day is your idea of "getting away from it all."

Your sixteenth birthday present: Jeep, or your mom's old BMW

You recall your Jamaican nanny with great fondness.

You think anyone who lives south of New Jersey is a hick.

Everyone winds up spending Spring Break in the Hamptons.

Your cleaning lady had to show you how to use the washing machine before you went away to college.

You knew Playland before it turned Ghetto.

You know where Walter's Hot Dog stand is.

You have to schedule in time to see your father.

You've never been to a school dance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 05:27 PM

340 posts, read 1,185,843 times
scared of new rochelle and mt vernon??? theyre not scary unless ur retarded

also u have to act tough or ull get shot at the galleria??? nobody has ever been shot in that place .......whoever wrote this list should be shot

Old 07-25-2008, 10:42 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,501,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeRrYcRaCk View Post

also u have to act tough or ull get shot at the galleria??? nobody has ever been shot in that place .......whoever wrote this list should be shot
I know, the Galleria one got me... But I didn't want to say anything just in case I was wrong because I don't really pay much attention to it.

New Rochelle doesn't scare me, but I wouldn't be driving through Mt. Vernon in a nice car after dark. It's not horrible, but it's got some pretty dangerous neighborhoods.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:43 PM

96 posts, read 407,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeRrYcRaCk View Post

In White Plains, Malls to Shop Till You Drop - New York Times

Old 07-26-2008, 01:34 PM

411 posts, read 1,601,589 times
When did Playland become 'ghetto'? Last I heard it was too expensive for that.

I have great memories of taking the bus on Saturdays from Eastchester Town Hall when it was the library to the Playland Skating Rink. For a few years it was my whole social life. A dollar got you a bus ride, admission to the rink, a soda and a slice. Great stuff.

Old 07-28-2008, 02:58 PM

163 posts, read 374,897 times
This list sucks. Future cop sounds more like future security guard.

Old 09-13-2008, 12:12 AM

7 posts, read 70,094 times
There have been shootings, stabbings, murder in the garage, cars are constantly broken into in the garage and the place is now home to the homeless during the day when they get dropped off right in the center of the city. Speak to a White Plains cop if you want the lowdown, as much of it doesn't get into the news.

I keep away from that place like the plague.

Old 09-13-2008, 07:42 AM

163 posts, read 374,897 times
Put future rent a cop on the case. In his world there is only dunkin doughnuts to protect. White Plains has ghetto areas, as do Mt Vernon,New Roc and every other major city in the USA. Keep on hiring illegal aliens to work, feeding the lazy with welfare and shortly the entire USA will be one giant ghetto. Corruption in government is the reason all these ills of society never change.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:13 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
New Rochelle doesn't scare me, but I wouldn't be driving through Mt. Vernon in a nice car after dark. It's not horrible, but it's got some pretty dangerous neighborhoods.
Huh? I drive through there all the time, as it's an easy back way into Larchmont on Lincoln, at all times of the day and night, and I've never been carjacked yet, even in very nice vehicles. There's no real imminent danger driving down the streets in Mount Vernon. Mount Vernon is like parts of the Bronx, New Rochelle, and Yonkers, where you are perfectly fine in your vehicle, even though the neighborhoods surrounding are not great. There are some rough areas to live in, but to drive through it's too dangerous in a nice car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie1234 View Post
There have been shootings, stabbings, murder in the garage, cars are constantly broken into in the garage and the place is now home to the homeless during the day when they get dropped off right in the center of the city. Speak to a White Plains cop if you want the lowdown, as much of it doesn't get into the news.

I keep away from that place like the plague.
Agreed. The Galleria has real problems these days. Ever since that lady was stabbed and killed in the middle of the workday a couple of years ago, I never venture anywhere within its garage or mall. Part of it is that crazy design where the parking garage feels as though you are going into some storeroom/warehouse, and it just is not a comfortable feeling at that mall right now.

When I read this thread, I didn't know it was going to be a Westchester stereotype thread, since I was expecting things like: You know you're from Westchester when...you know the Hutch is not a only piece of furniture; or, You know you're from Westchester when...you pack scuba gear for your Saw Mill Parkway commute when rain is forecast.

Old 09-14-2008, 03:24 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,163,796 times
In any urban region, I tend to use freeways, not surface streets, if poss, esp through lower-income areas at any time of day....

Anecdotally, find that lower-income areas often have more dangerous/inept drivers....they don't hand out certain cars to just anyone.....tailgating, running red lts, DUI driving, etc....and if involved in collision...or car develops flat tire/disabling mechanical probs, would not want to be caught on such surface streets waiting for help....

Already, the drive from Midtown to Greenwich is among most dangerous upscale commutes in US....having to traverse the wastelands of UpperManhattan and Bronx already elevates one's daily risk exposure....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County