Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2008, 02:31 PM
lhc lhc started this thread

13 posts, read 62,445 times

Advertisements

Hi again. We're still consdiering Westchester! We just for our first time drove through Hastings. Lovely town, but the train was by the river and the nice homes were in the hills. And there was a big parking lot near the train station so we assume most people drive to the station, and we are not about to move the burbs and buy two cars. We will need to be within walking distance to the train, so I think that puts Hastings OUT of our search. Or did we miss something? What about Croton? Are there nice homes in the 700K range (4 bedrooms) walking distance from the train? I believe there are in Pleasantville. So can anyone tell me what they think are the main differences between Croton and Pleasantville? Is one town more progressive than the other? We would prefer to live in a liberal town with plenty of culture and sporting. Thanks for any comments! - LHC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 04:17 PM

353 posts, read 1,007,428 times
We are thinking of moving from Manhattan to Croton or the general vicinity. It impresses me as being a rather liberal area with a lot of relocated city dwellers. You can get a rather large house for that price with scenic views (note the taxes would probably be greater than $15,0000). The natural scenery is one of it's strong points. There is a 500 acre park on the Hudson, a 1500 acre park in the mountains, scenic views from the top of the Croton Dam and more. There are waterfront townhouse condos adjacent to the train and I believe there are other parts of Croton that are within 5 or 10 minute walk of the train station.

Old 07-07-2008, 04:43 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,191,452 times
As Fyrisle says, Croton is very liberal and has a large, active population of artists, 'creative professionals', and lots of former city folk. It is very laid back and friendly and rather progressive. While I know lots of people who live in Croton, I only know one person from Pleasantville, so I won't compare the towns on that front.

On walkability, both towns will do the trick, but Pleasantville is a bit better since the station is smack in the center of town, whereas the Croton station is on the edge. But you can definitely get a house within a 5 minute walk of the station in both towns (and there are buses, though how frequent they are I don't know).

The big plus of Pleasantville is the Jacob Burns Film Center, which has wonderful art films. Croton does not have anything like that, although you'd be just 10 minutes from the Paramount Art Center in Peekskill, which has great movies and live performances, as well as the Hudson Valley Center for Contemporary Art. Both towns have good libraries with lots of events, readings, art shows, etc. Both towns have some good restaurants. I'm not sure of the shopping in Pleasantville. Croton has Zetyina, which has an excellent array of gourmet goods, meat, fish, and prepared foods. Pleasantville has a nice farmer's market, though not as good as Peekskill's.

The big difference is the surrounding area. Croton is in a truly stunning spot and has amazing nature and huge nature preserves around it. It is fabulous for biking, hiking, cross-country skiing, etc. You can walk from the village to the town hiking trails and to the Croton aqueduct and hike for miles. It has a nice beach on the Croton River for swimming, and access to the Cortlandt town pool. Sesanasqua park on the Hudson is great and has concerts and movies in the summer. There is also the Croton Sailing School, and marinas where you can dock and/or rent boats. The Teatown Lake Reservation is just outside of Croton and has great hiking and lots of nature programs for kids and grownups. While I do spend time in Pleasantville, I am not familiar with it's recreational facilities.

Personally, Pleasantville is very sweet and really 'pleasant,' but it just feels very "suburban" to me, which Croton doesn't. But that really is personal and you may have a different take on it.

Check out this blog for info on events and amenities in the area around both towns:

Northern Westchester Home

Old 07-08-2008, 09:09 PM
lhc lhc started this thread

13 posts, read 62,445 times
Default Thanks for all your responses!

Wow, great descriptions of both towns. Croton sounds dreamy, if only I could walk to the train station.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:44 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,575,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhc View Post
Hi again. We're still consdiering Westchester! We just for our first time drove through Hastings. Lovely town, but the train was by the river and the nice homes were in the hills. And there was a big parking lot near the train station so we assume most people drive to the station, and we are not about to move the burbs and buy two cars. We will need to be within walking distance to the train, so I think that puts Hastings OUT of our search. Or did we miss something? What about Croton? Are there nice homes in the 700K range (4 bedrooms) walking distance from the train? I believe there are in Pleasantville. So can anyone tell me what they think are the main differences between Croton and Pleasantville? Is one town more progressive than the other? We would prefer to live in a liberal town with plenty of culture and sporting. Thanks for any comments! - LHC
We lived in Hastings and have moved to Pleasantville. HOH is definitely more of an artsy community though the people are exceptionally cliquish. Pville people seem to be more down to earth.

HOH is more walkable than Pville because basically, all the HOH streets have sidewalks. I think your thought of living in the burbs w one car is unrealistic. Hence the concept of a station car -- $2-5k beater -- should be on your radar.

You will get more house for your money in Pville. Schools are essentially the same though HOH tends to focus on the middle of the bell curve more.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:28 AM

701 posts, read 3,325,301 times
We are also looking in Croton and Pleasantville. We know Pleasantville well, we live near it now. Croton is newer to us.

Pleasantville is more centrally located within Westchester. Less than 20 minutes from White Plains, and surrounded by glitzier neighborhoods than Croton overall. In terms of culture, I've heard that Croton can be a bit isolated-- Not a ton of restaurants, and such. On the commercial side, very few chain stores and restaurants. On the other hand, Pleasantville has the Jacob Burns Film Center. A decent number of restaurants and bars, and close to restaurants in plenty of other towns. Like Croton, it doesn't have massive numbers of chain stores or chain restaurants, but Pizza Hut/McDonalds, etc, are nearby.

Pleasantville is definitely a walking-town. It's one of the few districts in Westchester that does not offer school busing. The train station has rather limited parking. The problem is, the more modern and nicer houses tend to be further from the center of the town. Closer to the center of the town, you do have some nice Victorians, but they aren't for everyone. (Might be a large house, but might only have one bathroom).

Parts of Croton on walking.

They are both "small towns," and very similar in alot of ways. They are both rather "progressive." My feeling is that Pleasantville is slightly more cosmopolitan, while Croton is more rural. As someone else said, lots of hiking trails and scenic views in Croton. Where Pleasantville has an artsy movie center, and some fine restaurants.

Taxes are pretty high in both places, but I find they are a bit higher in Pleasantville. You can also get more house for your money in Croton.
A $700,000 house in Croton, for example, would probably go for $800,000 in Pleasantville.

For people who do know Croton, does anyone have any information on good daycare centers?

Old 09-04-2008, 08:53 AM

223 posts, read 828,318 times
All Aboard in Ossining(very close to Croton station) is highly recommended daycare. My son goes to Young Wonders in Briarcliff(about 10 min from Croton RR-several of his classmiates live in Croton). We are very happy there.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:41 AM

701 posts, read 3,325,301 times
Yes, that's high on our list, since we are already in All Aboard in Mount Kisco (formerly All Aboard anyway, the ownership of the location changed a couple months ago).

Wondering what other options were available.

What is Young Wonders like?

Old 09-04-2008, 01:52 PM

223 posts, read 828,318 times
Its fairly small, less than 100 kids in total. There is one infant room with 8 kids 3 teachers then an older room 12-18 months with 8 kids, then three toddler rooms 18 mo-3 yrs and then preschool rooms. My son is 2 1/2 and has been there since 3 months old. They are very on top of things and everything is very clean. They have a very structured day like I am sure All Aboard for toddlers-playtime, snacktime, naptime, crafts, stories, outdoor, free play, ect.

Only gripe I have is a pretty high turnover, my son is on his 3rd lead teacher since he has been in the toddler room but his current one has been around since Jan which is good- all the teachers I have been very happy with though with only one complaint of all the teachers he has had-and she was fired after her probationary period(she was only an assistant). I am not sure if the turnover is more of a general daycare thing or specific to here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County