Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 06:38 PM

3,512 posts, read 9,423,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pidgett View Post
The mythical village of Bedofrd Falls, made famous in "It's A Wonderful Life," is indeed, supposed to be in New York State. However, it is not based on Seneca Falls as a poster has stated earlier. It is based on a Buffalo-region village as deducted by the song in the movie, "Buffalo Gals" (Can You Come Out Tonight?).
Here's my source, where is yours?

http://www.nycanal.com/history/senecafallshistory.html (broken link)

Seneca Falls received national attention as the likely inspiration for the fictional town of Bedford Falls in Frank Capra's classic holiday movie "It's A Wonderful Life." Residents and visitors agree, it's a wonderful and historic place to be!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0038650/trivia

The name of Bedford Falls was combined from Bedford Hills, in Westchester County, New York, and Seneca Falls, a small town midway between Rochester and Syracuse. The town of Elmira, mentioned by the bank examiner, is a real town in New York, not that far from the actual Seneca Falls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2007, 04:45 AM

124 posts, read 641,583 times
Hi Bellafinzi,

I stand corrected. I was always under the impression that Bedford Falls was supposed to be near Buffalo due to the song "Buffalo Gals." Serves me right for making an assumption and passing it off as a fact--apologies ol' man!!

Old 02-10-2007, 01:33 PM

914 posts, read 2,918,383 times
Default Bedford Falls - Idyllic????

I think we are looking for something, in one way or another. But in the movie, and in retrospect, Bedford Falls was a town with a lot of issues. The only thing that made it warm and fuzzy was the genuine caring and love most of the towns people had for one another, and for George Bailey, in particular. I think that probably still exists in a lot of small towns across America. But the town needs to be small (under 2,000) in order for everyone to really know one another.

Old 02-10-2007, 02:37 PM

49 posts, read 185,088 times
Default Seneca Falls has NYs largest Landfill

Just a heads up on Senaca Falls...It's where Onondaga County sends its toxic ash from the incinerator, who knows what is in the water supply there..
Not very tranquil living near a cancer node..

http://onondagapollution.com/
http://concernedcitizens.homestead.c...a_Meadows.html

Old 02-12-2007, 09:01 AM

306 posts, read 1,619,991 times
Johnny99,
What's done with the ash once it's in/near Seneca Falls? Aren't there any controls/steps taken to protect the water supply from this ash?

(By the way, did you get your screen name from the Springsteen song?)

Old 02-12-2007, 09:15 AM

1,590 posts, read 1,667,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny99 View Post
...It's where Onondaga County sends its toxic ash from the incinerator, who knows what is in the water supply there..

The analysis results are likely a matter of public record. They are here. There's a lot of fright around here about chemicals in the water. Looking at the results, I see that a lot of its pretty unfounded, though the nitrate levels in eastern long island water sometimes are a bit high for infants.

If the ash is what is called a "Categorical Hazardous Waste", it must be buried in a hazardous waste landfill. Such facilities have made provision for the collection of leachate (I call it landfill juice) and it is regularly pumped out and treated so that it will not contaminate the groundwater.

Waste that is considered "Non-Hazardous" must have passed a test to ensure that it does not have the "Toxicity Characteristic." A sample of the solid is tumbled for 18 hours with a liquid intended to simulate acid rain. Heavy metals, and a whole laundry list of toxic organic compounds must be below certain threshhold levels in this fluid for it to pass.

Old 02-12-2007, 11:00 AM

I looked at those websites. Pretty standard environmentalist stuff, I must say.

I once lived about 8 blocks from a medical waste incinerator. I lived there for 11 years. For a few years, I used to smell burning plastic, but then they upgraded their scrubber, and I didn't smell it any more.

Some years after that, there was a great foo-fraw over it, supposed dioxin emissions, etc., and a whole herd of "activists" materialized out of the woodwork to wave signs, chant, smoke a bunch of dope in front of the facility, and generally have themselves a good old 1960's protest. Goody for them.

I went to one of the public meetings, the company sent a guy to explain the upgrade, and, that there were indeed measurable amounts of dioxin in their emissions, but that the risk from them would be too small to measure.

They were all over this guy. I don't know what this poor fella did to rate that s___ detail. Probably farted at the bosses birthday party.

My theory about the whole thing (sometimes these company guys are full of crap; sometimes not; this one wasn't) was that the owners of the company neglected to grease the right politicos. So, the activists got sicced on them.

Eventually, the activists won. They got rid of the incinerator. Along with about 50 blue collar jobs. Yay, team.

Old 02-12-2007, 02:34 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,587,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pidgett View Post
Hi Bellafinzi,

I stand corrected. I was always under the impression that Bedford Falls was supposed to be near Buffalo due to the song "Buffalo Gals." Serves me right for making an assumption and passing it off as a fact--apologies ol' man!!
I had always thought it was in the Rochester/Fingerlakes area due to the line "Rochester, Why Rochester? Why Not?". When George is on the phone, getting the news that a company had decided to build it's facilites there instead of Bedford Falls. I have also heard that it was supposed to be a copy of the real town of Seneca Falls....which is about midway between Syracuse and Rochester.

Old 02-12-2007, 10:32 PM

914 posts, read 2,918,383 times
I think Seneca Falls has an "It's a Wonderful Life" Day or something every year. A couple of years ago, they held it, and the guest of honor was Jimmy Stewart's little "daughter" in the film who was nicknamed Zuzu. I think the press release said that she was the only living cast member from the film, but maybe I'm wrong. Anyway, she went to the festival, and was very gracious and signed autographs, etc.

Old 02-13-2007, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4home View Post
I think Seneca Falls has an "It's a Wonderful Life" Day or something every year. A couple of years ago, they held it, and the guest of honor was Jimmy Stewart's little "daughter" in the film who was nicknamed Zuzu. I think the press release said that she was the only living cast member from the film, but maybe I'm wrong. Anyway, she went to the festival, and was very gracious and signed autographs, etc.
Yes! I cannot recall her name...Carolyn Grimes? She runs a store someplace called "ZuZu's Petals" that specializes in stuff related to the movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County