Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2009, 08:13 AM

6 posts, read 25,597 times

Advertisements

any pros or cons? i work in midtown manhattan and currently looking to buy a condo. done my bit if reasearch but cant seem to favor one over the other. your inputs would be highly appreciated!

thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 09:22 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,576,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inoman View Post
any pros or cons? i work in midtown manhattan and currently looking to buy a condo. done my bit if reasearch but cant seem to favor one over the other. your inputs would be highly appreciated!

thanks...
Nassau is far more congested traffic-wise. Driving from Westchester to NY (If you drove) is far less of a pain than driving from Nassau. Driving around locally is much easier in Westchester.

As far as commuting by train to the city, Penn Station is a DUMP compared to the grandeur of Grand Central Station. The train trips trips from Westchester to NY are generally a little bit longer.

Both areas have good school districts (and are equivalently expensive, I think) but it seemed to me that Westchester had more good school districts.

Old 02-15-2009, 10:36 AM

353 posts, read 1,007,664 times
There are many variables. Would you be commuting by train or car? Do you need good school districts? What is your price range? Do you prefer the beaches or the mountains? Does it matter whether or not you have a village nearby?

Old 02-15-2009, 01:32 PM

6 posts, read 25,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrisle View Post
There are many variables. Would you be commuting by train or car? Do you need good school districts? What is your price range? Do you prefer the beaches or the mountains? Does it matter whether or not you have a village nearby?
To narrow it down, we'll be commuting by most of the time. Price range for a condo would be 250-325k. I guess townhouses are out of the question for this budget?

Will be planning to have kids soon so school districts are also a factor. Does this mean school districts are better in Westchester compared to Nassau or vice versa? Beaches or mountains are not really a factor, we wouldnt mind having the "outdoors" a few miles away for recreational activities (biking, running, hiking, shopping...etc).

What did you exactly mean by "village" nearby?

Thanks again!...

Old 02-15-2009, 02:22 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,547,427 times
If you need to get into Manhattan on a regular basis, then there's no contest. It's much easier to get to midtown from Westchester than from Nassau county. I find the MetroNorth system much less crowded and more direct than the LIRR.

Also, if you're driving, there are many more highways going into Manhattan from Westchester than from Nassau. From Manhattan there are only two direct ways into Nassau: the LIE or the GCP/Northern State. The LIE is usually always congested, and the GCP/NS is only slightly better. Whereas Westchester has an extensive and well-interconnected parkway system, giving you more options into NYC.

Most school districts in Westchester range from good to excellent. There are only a few that are considered problematic (Yonkers, Mt. Vernon, Greenburgh and parts of New Rochelle).

The main con for Westchester is the property tax. Overall, it's higher than Nassau's. Another con is the smaller inventory, especially in your price range. Westchester has fewer units of real estate on the market than Nassau. However, nice properties are out there. You just have to look a bit harder to find a great deal.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:26 PM

353 posts, read 1,007,664 times
When I said "village", I was refering to a central shopping district. Some areas are completely residential, some areas have scattered shopping and others have villages with main streets that are lined with stores for several blocks.

Judging from test scores, I agree that a larger portion Westchester has good schools where close to 90% or more of the students pass the state regents exams. In comparison, there are fewer schools in Nassau scoring this high. Most of the higher scoring Nassau schools are on the north shore. You can go to greatschools.net for further info on each school district.

With my limited experience on Westchester roads, it does seem like the highways leading in and out of Westchester are less congested than the Long Island Expressway.

I have to disagree with Marie1249 regarding the quickest train rides. There are areas in Nassau such as Great Neck and Manhasset that are only 25-30 minutes from Penn Station.

I'm not familiar with condo prices. I know that there are starter homes in Westchester within that price range but I believe you would have more choices in Nassau. The median price of a house in Nassau is about 30% lower than Westchester. You could get a clearer picture of this by visiting realtors web sites and looking to see what you can get.

I myself chose to focus on Westchester rather than Long Island because of the schools and the natural scenery.

Last edited by fyrisle; 02-15-2009 at 07:37 PM..

Old 02-16-2009, 09:05 AM

3,734 posts, read 4,547,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrisle View Post
I have to disagree with Marie1249 regarding the quickest train rides. There are areas in Nassau such as Great Neck and Manhasset that are only 25-30 minutes from Penn Station.
While it's true that a few areas of Nassau are a quick commute to Manhattan--this is the exception, especially for areas with good school districts. Also, many areas are not a direct line into the city and require a connection, resulting in a longer commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County