Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2009, 02:37 PM

3 posts, read 6,118 times

Advertisements

Hello Everybody,
I have been reading quite a few posts but I wanted to write my own, see if I could get some more accurate responses.
My husband and I live in London for now and we are moving to NY in October/November. He is British/American from Florida and I am French.
We are probably going to rent in Manhattan the very first few months and look around, decide where we want to live but I would love your opinions!

We think we can afford a house for a maximum of $600,000 depending on how much deposit the banks require, we are hoping for 10%?
My husband will need to commute to Grand Central Station everyday and he would like to have a 30 minutes commute into the City.
I was wondering if we should consider commuting into Penn Station and then take the shuttle or something?

We don't intend to live in Manhattan and I would love to be near one of the French schools. The French-American school in Scarsdale/Larchmont/Mamaroneck seems really good. Did anybody hear about it?
I was tempted by New Rochelle because it's close to the ocean but I read a few bad reviews about it.

For now, we have mostly looked into areas North of NY but we are open to suggestions!

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 04:27 PM

295 posts, read 1,505,354 times
Default Areas

Not that I am very familiar with the area...but from reading this forum, Larchmont/ Mamaroneck seems to have a large French population and is a lovely area that has sections by the water (though even more pricey) & the French American school (though I believe is pricey) has a great reputation.

600K will not get you what you are expecting (I know...I generalize), but may be able to get you started. Double check with the down payment...banks have really changed things recently.

Old 05-12-2009, 07:59 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,683,069 times
Default Understanding the local geography

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurore_ej View Post
I have been reading quite a few posts but I wanted to write my own, see if I could get some more accurate responses.
My husband and I live in London for now and we are moving to NY in October/November. He is British/American from Florida and I am French."

Aurore_ej, in case you are unfamiliar with the local geography:

What people refer to colloquially as "towns" are actually villages and hamlets, which are within actual towns; and, because villages and hamlets are referred to as "towns", then, many times, the error is compounded when actual towns are referred to as "townships".

Also, many colloquially refer to a "downtown business district" in a hamlet as a "village".

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...-glossary.html may be of some help to you in understanding the local geography in New York State.

When you do find a house that you like, you can find out in which community (city, village or CDP) that house is actually located, which is oftentimes different from the community named in that house's mailing address, by using the Census Bureau's online address search function. (CDP or Census Designated Place is the Census Bureau equivalent for a New York State hamlet.)

Oh, and by the way, the building located on 42nd Street between Lexington and Vanderbilt Avenues is Grand Central Terminal.

Grand Central Station is not on 42nd Street at all. The postal building on Lexington Avenue between 44th & 45th Streets is the Grand Central Station of the New York Post Office. (Sub-offices of a post office are either called "stations" or "branches", depending upon which part of the country one is in.)

Old 05-12-2009, 09:37 PM

305 posts, read 1,894,959 times
Larchmont has a large French population and is a beautiful town with lovely town center and a REALLY nice waterfront park. It also has a train station and is a 30-40 minute commute to Grand Central. Schools are good and it has a walkable town center with some great restaurants.

However, Larchmont is quite pricey so not sure what $600K can buy thought now might be a good time to buy.

Old 05-13-2009, 03:41 AM

Thank you for all this.

We are not specifically looking to live in a French Community but if possible not too far from one of the French Schools.

It's reassuring to read that the French American School has a good reputation.

Larchmont seems out of our price range - I check realtors now and then and $600K would indeed not get us much!

We'll keep looking - thanks!

Old 05-13-2009, 07:39 AM

701 posts, read 3,325,529 times
New Rochelle may be a very good option for you. The "bad" things you have heard about New Rochelle basically focuses on the mixed reputation of the school district, especially at the upper levels. But if you are using private schools, then that is not an issue for you. New Rochelle has some very nice neighborhoods. Of course, especially considering your tight budget, you will want to check out the neighborhood of a prospective home very thoroughly.

Same with White Plains. It will be more affordable than Scarsdale/Larchmont. While it is a city, there are many neighborhoods of White Plains that are really more suburban.

In terms of your budget and mortgages -- The standard mortgage requires a 20% downpayment. Before the credit crisis, there were lots of banks with creative financing, and you could easily finance a home with less than a 20% downpayment. (We only put 10% down, 7 years ago.) Nowadays, it is much harder to get a mortgage with less than 20% down. It can still be done, but you will have to pay certain penalties (PMI-- personal mortgage insurance).

You can use a site like lendingtree.com or bankrate.com to start conversing with some lenders, and they can go over your options.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:17 AM

Thank you Havoc315 for the latest post - very helpful

Old 05-15-2009, 08:40 AM

413 posts, read 1,106,087 times
Pelham is quite close by train and car -- about 20 minutes. It has a decent selection of houses in your range.

Old 05-17-2009, 04:45 PM

148 posts, read 878,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurore_ej View Post
Thank you for all this.

We are not specifically looking to live in a French Community but if possible not too far from one of the French Schools.

It's reassuring to read that the French American School has a good reputation.

Larchmont seems out of our price range - I check realtors now and then and $600K would indeed not get us much!

We'll keep looking - thanks!
You should search for a home in Mamaroneck or Rye Neck school district, you should be able to get something decent for $600k in the current market. If you end up not going to the French American School (which is pricey, but good), you will still be in a good school district.

There are a lot of French expats both in Larchmont and Mamaroneck, even if your kids don't end up in the French American School they can still attend some after school activities that are open the public some of which are conducted in French. Larchmont and Mamaroneck, share a school district and virtually all services and recreation, so do think wisely before spending your money. You may be better off for instance spending your money on a nice single family in Mamaroneck with a decent backyard, than a tiny one in Larchmont with no backyard. Playdates are more fun when there is a backyard.

Old 05-17-2009, 04:54 PM

148 posts, read 878,511 times
Mod cut: TOS violation.www.greatschools.net is a good website for getting a feel of public schools.

Last edited by Viralmd; 05-17-2009 at 04:56 PM.. Reason: No linking to specific realtor sites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County