Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 01:38 PM

9 posts, read 33,182 times

Advertisements

Hi -- My husband and I are considering buying a house in Yorktown Heights. An acquaintance of mine mentioned Sparkle Lake, and I'm interested in knowing more. What we're looking for is a good school district for our 2 boys (who will start kindergarten soon), a suburban vs. rural community, a level backyard, a walkable town and taxes in the 8K to 12k range. Is this a reasonable wish-list for Sparkle Lake? Also, could anyone provide me with some insight about the quality of life in Sparkle Lake? Any info is much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 02:24 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,192,835 times
Sparkle Lake is a small community in Yorktown Heights. It features Sparkle Lake, which is the lovely lake and beach open to all Yorktown residents for swimming. It is a pretty suburban part of Yorktown (as opposed to the rural parts further south) and lots are relatively small (and level). Sparkle Lake is pretty close to the downtown center of Yorktown Heights, which has lots of shopping and restaurants, parks, a town pool, a community center, theater, and the North County Trailway. Downtown Yorktown Heights is very walkable, although not that pretty. Spark Lake is also pretty close to the mall in Jefferson Valely and to big box stores on route 6 in Cortlandt.

I think Sparkle Lake is Yortown Central schools, which are excellent. It might be Lakeland schools.

In addition to the lake and the pool in YH, town residents have a pool in Shrub Oak. There are lots of parks, the Turkey Mountain Nature Preserve has nice hiking, Hanover Hilltop Farm has great hiking and lots of programs, as do Teatown Lake Reservation, and the Kitchawan Reservation. You're under 15 minutes from Katonah, Mt Kisco, and Peekskill, and the general area has lots to do.

Sparkle Lake, Yorktown, NY

Hilltop Hanover Farm

Teatown Lake Reservation

Old 03-25-2010, 02:33 PM

Thanks so much for the info. It definitely sounds like what we're looking for overall. My acquaintance mentioned she had her daughter in the Mohansic school district, which I'll look into. I heard that the Lakeland school district is not so impressive, but I'll look into that also. Thanks again!

Old 03-25-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu2This View Post
Thanks so much for the info. It definitely sounds like what we're looking for overall. My acquaintance mentioned she had her daughter in the Mohansic school district, which I'll look into. I heard that the Lakeland school district is not so impressive, but I'll look into that also. Thanks again!
Mohansic is one of the elementary schools in the Yorktown Central district.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:31 AM

That's great to know (and a relief).

Living in that part of Westchester, could you cite any environmental cons (i.e., severity of snow/rain storms, flooding, loss of power frequency, etc.). I'm from the city & have always lived in apt buildings which is obviously very different, so I do anticipate having to deal with such things as a home owner, but I'd like to minimize risk of the worst-case-scenarios as much as possible by choosing an area that is fairly "protected" from these kind of events. Thanks!

Old 03-26-2010, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu2This View Post
That's great to know (and a relief).

Living in that part of Westchester, could you cite any environmental cons (i.e., severity of snow/rain storms, flooding, loss of power frequency, etc.). I'm from the city & have always lived in apt buildings which is obviously very different, so I do anticipate having to deal with such things as a home owner, but I'd like to minimize risk of the worst-case-scenarios as much as possible by choosing an area that is fairly "protected" from these kind of events. Thanks!
I don't think the area is particularly at more or less risk than any other part of the county. Being farther north it is often a few degrees colder and we sometimes get more snow, but often we get a light snow when down-county gets dangerous ice conditions. And sometimes the storms don't get this far up and we miss snow when down-county gets dumped on. So it depends on the system. Yorktown has an excellent road department and they are really quick and do a great job when it does snow. In our over 8 years we've only lost power 3 or 4 times and never for more than a few hours (knock on wood), but that is a matter of luck--our neighbors were without power for 48 hours this past storm. We got hit badly by the last wind storm, but we've missed plenty that smacked lower Westchester. So, again, it depends on the storm system. Sparkle Lake is definitely not in a flood zone.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:39 AM

5 posts, read 25,460 times
Just wanted to insert my 2 cents regarding the Lakeland school district. Many on this forum continue to overlook beautiful houses in the district due to perceptions that somehow Lakeland is a "bad" district. I have lived in the district for 20 years. Over the past five years I have seen a clear improvement, as administrators and staff have turned over. Current reading and math scores reflect that trend. Lakeland Copper Beech, a school I pulled 2 older children out of to attend private school, has done a complete turnaround, thanks to a new principal. My youngest daughter is thriving there, and they have been designated as a "School to Watch". I think it is important to do your homework; don't make decisions based on old information and outdated rumors regarding the Lakeland school district.

Old 03-26-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reboandchirp View Post
Just wanted to insert my 2 cents regarding the Lakeland school district. Many on this forum continue to overlook beautiful houses in the district due to perceptions that somehow Lakeland is a "bad" district. I have lived in the district for 20 years. Over the past five years I have seen a clear improvement, as administrators and staff have turned over. Current reading and math scores reflect that trend. Lakeland Copper Beech, a school I pulled 2 older children out of to attend private school, has done a complete turnaround, thanks to a new principal. My youngest daughter is thriving there, and they have been designated as a "School to Watch". I think it is important to do your homework; don't make decisions based on old information and outdated rumors regarding the Lakeland school district.
This is great information to have. I don't mean to offend, and yes, I am reacting to information that I've only read/heard about, which may be outdated. Knowing that Lakeland is up and coming is a relief since that could certainly broaden our options as we begin our house hunt.

Old 03-26-2010, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma1250 View Post
I don't think the area is particularly at more or less risk than any other part of the county. Being farther north it is often a few degrees colder and we sometimes get more snow, but often we get a light snow when down-county gets dangerous ice conditions. And sometimes the storms don't get this far up and we miss snow when down-county gets dumped on. So it depends on the system. Yorktown has an excellent road department and they are really quick and do a great job when it does snow. In our over 8 years we've only lost power 3 or 4 times and never for more than a few hours (knock on wood), but that is a matter of luck--our neighbors were without power for 48 hours this past storm. We got hit badly by the last wind storm, but we've missed plenty that smacked lower Westchester. So, again, it depends on the storm system. Sparkle Lake is definitely not in a flood zone.

You answered another concern I had regarding how inclement weather conditions are handled by the county. I noticed really steep hills/roads driving through southern YH last weekend, and it freaked me out to think about driving up/down during the winter when it snows or rains.... Thanks!

Old 03-26-2010, 01:07 PM

32 posts, read 123,464 times
I definitely also have to add that Lakeland schools are much better than the reputation it once had. Take a look at where the graduating seniors of Panas and Lakeland have gone to in the last 2 years- Harvard, Yale, Cornell, MIT... all Ivy League. They've also done a good job holding down the school tax and they have not threatened layoffs or cuts like Yorktown recently announced.

It's quite a shame when buyers overlook Lakeland schools. But builders havent. Take a look at Hollowbrook, Cortlandt Chase, and Justin Ct. Very beautiful homes- mind you they are in Cortlandt and not Yorktown. But it definitely raises the caliber of students who are in the Lakeland schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County