Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2010, 11:32 AM
DVK DVK started this thread

5 posts, read 10,616 times

Advertisements

WE too are looking to retire in the northern NC area. I have done quite a bit of research and this area looks like the perfect place for us. We are so tired of this immense heat and the always growing illegal population, especially here in Pasadena.

Could someone please compare the following cities/towns? Black Mountain/ Lake Lure/ Swannanoa/ Weaverville?

These are the ones I've been looking at property around. We are looking for quaint, friendly people, scenery, not too much snow, and definitely not HEAT and humidity. Don't mind driving 30 miles to town. Would prefer further out, actually, after living next to someone for the past 23 yrs. Jobs are not important as we'll be retiring there.

I'd really appreciate any and all input and suggestions on the above mentioned towns both pro and con for each.

THANKS!
DVK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 02:45 PM

4,791 posts, read 10,613,723 times
All fine areas, imo...but, one needs to be aware of elevation as it pertains to "summer heat".
In the lower elevations of the areas you mentioned, it can be quite warm most of the day
into night, for much of the summer.

I realize one person's "warm" is cool next to Houston summers, (we had a plant there and
I pulled several summer sessions), but 2,000 or even 3,000 feet elevation does not get one
out of/"above" the heat. Just fwiw, and imo.

I understand western NC isn't right around the corner from Hottown, but you really ought to
make a trip(s), and spend some time in your list of areas. House site, "direction", shade, setting,
etc. all contribute to a home's climate "feel", too and the diverse locations can vary considerably.

GL, mD

Old 07-21-2010, 02:55 PM

And, per your post from another thread,
"...and nice motorcycle riding.
Is Lake Lure TOO much of a resort snooty place? Found a piece of property there that we love. Thanks for all info guys. Appreciate it.

I've been here 9 yrs and have ridden every two lane blacktop in western NC: fabulous riding, once
the flatlanders get used to the very curvy, often off camber, tight azz roads.

We have good friends that live in LL, and they have a nice joint: based only on several visits to
their home, imo: it is warmer than one would think, there is really only one road in and out, and
weekends in summer bring the weekenders to the Lake area...on that one road.

I am huge fan of western NC; it is a fabulous area, esp if one is retired or does not require a
serious income from a local job. I would rec'd doing some more reading, looking and some area
visits, as picking out a few spots via long distance is not the way to go in chasing down a
retirement home, from 1000 miles away.
GL, mD

Old 07-21-2010, 03:12 PM

Thanks so much for the info. We are planning a trip there this fall to check things out. Very interesting about the one road in and out. VERY interesting. That could definitely be a deal breaker. No fun sitting in traffic on the bike. How long does the "busy" season last?

Old 07-21-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVK View Post
Thanks so much for the info. We are planning a trip there this fall to check things out. Very interesting about the one road in and out. VERY interesting. That could definitely be a deal breaker. No fun sitting in traffic on the bike. How long does the "busy" season last?
Actually, there are "2 roads" in, if one is coming from the south of LL, vs east or west:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...+Carolina&z=12

But, the std road, 64/74 is pretty crowded on weekends...not a deal buster, but something to consider.

I, along with several posters here, are transplants from somewhere and most of us stumbled into the area, I suspect. We spent a lot of time/trips looking, driving around, etc. This was '99/2K and sort of pre-net in terms of the info available today. But, it does take time I feel. And, a couple
recommendations are really anecdotal, imo.

All I can say is that if one finds their spot with a dart at the map or, even from a trip or two, congratulations...but, it is such a diverse area, as I know it now, that it would seem to be pure luck to do so.

Projections, as to life style, what one really wants/needs, local situs, etc.. are very hard to decide over, based on a fly in/drive around trip, imo.

It is fabulous country though...great lifestyle, good 4 seasons, sparse pop density, and live and let live 'tude, imo.
GL, mD

Old 07-21-2010, 04:38 PM

Default Sounds real good

Wow! Your last sentence could have been what my "Wanted" post would look like. Especially the 4 seasons part. It's not that much fun to ride here after say late May. So from June to late September is out of the question for me due to the heat. Hubby rides, but admits not only is it void of scenery, (unless you ride N-S-E- or W for 2 hours) it's freekin hot! He thinks hot, I think miserable.

Your comment about the "one road in and out" struck me because he has to deal with Houston traffic 3 times a day everyday and the last thing he's going to want to deal with is more traffic. So if it's Really congested with tourists many times a year, yeah it could be a deal breaker. The lot we were looking at is in a subdivision in Lake Lure. I can hear him now. But I would think it's inevitable if you choose to live in such a cool place, you're going to have to make some allocations somewhere.

Is there something outside of Lake Lure that you would recommend? We are looking to buy between 1 and 5 acres to build on. I found a great deal in Lake Lure and that's why I was curious about that one spot. But if there is a town outside that is pretty, we could always ride to Lake Lure.

I am finally in a place where I need to start planning seriously. So that's the story. I am ready to leave the Gulf Coast for good. I'm sick of just about everything it has to offer except the hospitality. I'm from here so I can say that.

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina