Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2010, 10:45 AM

4 posts, read 28,220 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am looking for opinions on relocating to the Asheville area. We have young kids, so our primary focus is a town with good school systems, doesn't have to be a big system, we are coming from a small town in CT with about 100 kids in each grade. We are in search of a log home with land in the country, but not too far from civilization. I have had a realtor tell me that Asheville is the town we want, none of the outskirt towns are community orientated enough for families, but Asheville doesn't have the log homes that we see online in the surrounding towns. Since I find that hard to believe after visiting the area, I would like everyone else's opinion. Any information you could give us would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 08:37 AM

276 posts, read 648,747 times
I grew up in Hendersonville, which is about 20 miles south of Asheville. I lived in the "city" (not a big city by any means) but a lot of my friends lived a little further out. Areas like Etowah, Brevard, Zirconia, Tuxedo, Laurel Park, etc all have more of a country feel, and more log homes. A lot of these areas are more spread out, though, so they may not have a real community feel due to the fact that houses aren't super close to each other.

I'm not sure how the Hendersonville school system is now, but I got through it just fine. Good luck with your search!

Old 08-27-2010, 08:41 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,250,583 times
I live in Mills River and love it -
sheesh I sound like a broken record
I'm totally sure you'd find log cabin type places in this area.

I hear that Glen Marlow elementary is a very good school and that overall Henderson County schools are quite good. Can't tell you for sure since I don't have kids.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:46 AM

756 posts, read 1,654,218 times
I love Hendersonville, but found it to be congested and with an older population.

East Asheville, Swannanoa, and Black Mountain are good areas to look. Lots of cabins but beware: cabins usually mean steep roads that can be tough in winter.

We wanted a cabin but bought a "cottage" in Riceville which is a super community.

Old 08-27-2010, 06:48 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,926,253 times
I agree with Guyfriendly about E. Asheville, Black Mtn, Swannanoa...

Old 08-27-2010, 09:36 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,472,221 times
Just a friendly tip: You might want to look into all the work it takes to maintain a true log home before buying one. Its not for everyone.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:37 PM

4 posts, read 28,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyFriendly View Post
I love Hendersonville, but found it to be congested and with an older population.

East Asheville, Swannanoa, and Black Mountain are good areas to look. Lots of cabins but beware: cabins usually mean steep roads that can be tough in winter.

We wanted a cabin but bought a "cottage" in Riceville which is a super community.
We definately liked a lot of towns east of Ashville when we were there and had a feeling that was where we wanted to be heading.

We have been researching log homes for the last 10 years and had planned on building one in CT someday. Change of life's course is bringing us to WNC.

How is the town of Franklin? We would also love to buy a campground and there is one in Franklin for sale. Any one have any information on that area or the campground?

Thanks for all your input...we'll see where the road takes us!

Old 07-24-2011, 09:26 PM
be.

3 posts, read 11,841 times
so as for the "log cabin" thing...were you meaning a "real" log cabin or a half million dollar home that "looks" like a log cabin. if it's the 1/2 million thing - and sorry, but since I am from Mass., I have a built in feeling about Conn folks. anyway, you might want to check out some of the developers that chopped off the tops of mountains and built some fake log-monstrous "cabins" up there - then of course, put a gate around all of it. If that is what you are looking for, then sadly, there are more and more of those here every day. travel down the Blue ridge from Swannoa south and stop at every overlook - they all overlook gated communities now. it's a very very sad situation...but they are already built, someone might as well live there. It won't be folks born and brought up here. This is a middle class town. Working folks but I guess we have to wait on someone....

sorry to be sharky, I am looking for a new apartment and can't find much below $1000/month. Guess it's time to leave Asheville and let the millionaires take over for a while. I'll come back once they get their fill of "what used to be" fresh air and leave...I guess. OR not.

Anyone know someplace a middle aged lesbian on a fixed income would be happy? It's kind of NOT so much Asheville anymore... too bad. thinking it's time to move on.

so, as for crime, As someone said when I moved here "We'll steal your stuff, keep your car locked but we won't kill you here." I'll tell you tho, after watching the "local" news that comes out of greenville/spartanburg, SC; I would NEVER live there. Murder and arson and drunken family shooting every single night. yuck. I liked black mountain the very first time I visited there, maybe I'll see what apartments are going for there these days....or even further out? hate to get that far from the city. btw, just so that you know, Asheville is pretty much the only place to get medical care for hours around here. even people as far away as the TN/GA/NC corner come here for care. If you are on medicare, it will be quite hard to find a dr. accepting NEW medicare patients. I went 6 months last year with no medical care for that very reason. Medical here is tough if you live on medicare. Might want to think about that.

Last edited by be.; 07-24-2011 at 09:28 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-24-2011, 11:02 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,836,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by be. View Post
so as for the "log cabin" thing...were you meaning a "real" log cabin or a half million dollar home that "looks" like a log cabin. if it's the 1/2 million thing - and sorry, but since I am from Mass., I have a built in feeling about Conn folks. anyway, you might want to check out some of the developers that chopped off the tops of mountains and built some fake log-monstrous "cabins" up there - then of course, put a gate around all of it. If that is what you are looking for, then sadly, there are more and more of those here every day. travel down the Blue ridge from Swannoa south and stop at every overlook - they all overlook gated communities now. it's a very very sad situation...but they are already built, someone might as well live there. It won't be folks born and brought up here. This is a middle class town. Working folks but I guess we have to wait on someone....

sorry to be sharky, I am looking for a new apartment and can't find much below $1000/month. Guess it's time to leave Asheville and let the millionaires take over for a while. I'll come back once they get their fill of "what used to be" fresh air and leave...I guess. OR not.

Anyone know someplace a middle aged lesbian on a fixed income would be happy? It's kind of NOT so much Asheville anymore... too bad. thinking it's time to move on.

so, as for crime, As someone said when I moved here "We'll steal your stuff, keep your car locked but we won't kill you here." I'll tell you tho, after watching the "local" news that comes out of greenville/spartanburg, SC; I would NEVER live there. Murder and arson and drunken family shooting every single night. yuck. I liked black mountain the very first time I visited there, maybe I'll see what apartments are going for there these days....or even further out? hate to get that far from the city. btw, just so that you know, Asheville is pretty much the only place to get medical care for hours around here. even people as far away as the TN/GA/NC corner come here for care. If you are on medicare, it will be quite hard to find a dr. accepting NEW medicare patients. I went 6 months last year with no medical care for that very reason. Medical here is tough if you live on medicare. Might want to think about that.
You realize that you're responding to a year-old thread?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina