Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 04:35 PM

203 posts, read 371,797 times

Advertisements

Bass Pro, go to top of this screen, and click on Search, and then type in Lake Lure, NC and then on the 6th post down on that page you will get helpful info from the guys on here about Lake Lure.
Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 10:34 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,848,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliciaMaria View Post
^Yep.. that was our driveway in Weaverville.. Our Yukon is AWD, our Silverado (Florida truck) was only RWD... the truck didn't make it up the driveway without either lots of attempts or a lot of ice melt.. the Yukon was a champ.. AWD or chains were def necessary.. I remember seeing people squirreling all over the highways and roads.. was REALLY scary.. nobody had any control over where their vehicle was going..!
Yeah, and you know, it comes down to the lack of proper teaching on how to drive in winter conditions. Driver's Ed programs here don't educate people on that, because they don't anticipate it being a necessity in most of the state, and the Driver's Ed is statewide, as I understand. So the people who live in the mountains never learn. You can drive a regular old front-wheel-drive sedan in the snow and ice just fine, you just have to know how to drive it. A stick shift helps tremendously, as you can engine brake to reduce your speed, and you won't lock your brakes up and slide into a wall. When it comes down to it, if you live on a very steep hill or something, AWD might not even save you. If it's bad icy out, chains are going to be your best bet. Luckily I don't live on a switchback road, so I don't think I'll need chains, but I anticipate a few difficult mornings getting up the street to the main road, since it is a gradually sloping hill that is very shaded. That is just a recipe for icy conditions. Keep your wits about you, I had to dodge several people last winter that had lost control of their cars and would have slammed right into me had I not taken evasive maneuvers! Scary stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina