Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 10:19 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,412,423 times

Advertisements

Why not spend lots of time in Asheville? It's proximity is part of why we're moving - well, better proximity than we have now, without being in the middle of it.

Local (preferably organic) food was another reason to choose Brevard - Poppies - very few small towns outside of Asheville have anything like it. Are there other places to get local food in Brevard?

I know there's a tailgate market there, plus there's always the farmers market in Asheville. Any other options I'm missing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2010, 07:18 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,531,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Why not spend lots of time in Asheville? It's proximity is part of why we're moving - well, better proximity than we have now, without being in the middle of it.
Local (preferably organic) food was another reason to choose Brevard - Poppies - very few small towns outside of Asheville have anything like it. Are there other places to get local food in Brevard?
I know there's a tailgate market there, plus there's always the farmers market in Asheville. Any other options I'm missing?
Love Poppies! I agree though some perceive Brevard as "isolated" I actually feel it is just the opposite. I was surprised how short the drive from Brevard to ASheville is. And the airport is convenient as well. I'm still doing the Brevard, Black Mountain, or Blowing Rock/Boone debate in my head. Brevard seems like a great compromise though I do like the higher altitude of Blowing Rock area.

I like Brevard because it is convenient but still is a single-standing small town. I love that it has the college and music festival and also all those trails outside one's door!

Old 11-20-2010, 07:43 AM

532 posts, read 1,091,487 times
Hagendorn's just opened on Caldwell St. They sell local food and have a deli. They do a trout dinner once a week. This is their first year. Poppies does a locavore dinner every summer and the growers and farmers are there. This past summer we had Everett Farms beef, Busy Bee chickens, Sunburst Trout, Queens Farm veggies, Bracken Mountain bakery breads. I'm probably missing someone. All of these places support local charities. Most farmers donate a portion of their rows to charity. Everett Farms gives Bread of Life a calf and a half for Christmas. We now have an organic CSA in Brevard. You can pick your own berries at Queen's Farm. It's not organic, but is low spray.
Local Food Guide :: Appalachian Sustainable Agriculture Project : Appalachian Sustainable Agriculture Project
Poppies has music in the garden in the summer.

Asheville is great to go hear music. I'm on the Greenville side of Brevard so it takes about an hour to get there.

Old 11-20-2010, 08:41 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,549,944 times
For charm, music, events and access to Asheville, other highways, I-40 etc., (as an informed and experienced retired Realtor), for a more permanent move, Black Mountain would be my choice hands down. You still have access to other towns, east, west, north and south. For foodies, you have many more choices of organic markets, agriculture etc., in that area.

Old 11-21-2010, 12:05 AM

Quilter,

This won't be a popular thing to say, but I'm just not feeling it for Black Mountain. I took a side trip to Black Mountain in 1992 and as crazy as it sounds, I felt an instant dislike for the town.

I know it's blossomed since then and a ton of people love it, but I've looked at bunches of photos on Flickr, and it looks just the same to me except the stores are more occupied now and everything's been charmed up with flowers.

I could probably go there for an afternoon and enjoy it, but there's still something about it that doesn't feel like home to me. I can't force myself to feel differently.

I'm not all that interested in the organic supermarkets in Asheville as long as I can have something like Poppies locally and still get to the Farmers Market in Asheville, which is pretty easy to get to.

Now that Buttercup tells me there's a CSA in Brevard, I'm over the moon. In all the endless reading I've done, that fact escaped me. It sounds like we can get everything we want in one location. Plus we're going to have our own garden, so we should be covered.

I'm also considering that in future years, the population of Western North Carolina is only going to get bigger, so being a bit further out from the sprawl of Asheville is a plus for me.

Buttercup,

Yes, the music options are also part of the draw of Brevard for us. Forests and waterfalls too.

Good to know those berries are "low-spray" because I was bummed while researching that they weren't organic.

I really need to do better health-wise and hope it will be easier there.

Booya,

I have not been to Blowing Rock yet. Have seen lots of pictures and always thought I'd fall in love with it. But I know I can't do that high of an altitude because I'd freeze to death. I once talked to a guy that had gone to college there and he loved the place, but was going to leave because he'd had enough winter weather to last him a lifetime. Plus, it's expensive as hell there.

Old 11-21-2010, 12:16 AM

Question:

Highway 276 from Waynesville to Brevard.

I've been on the section of 276 from the Blue Ridge Parkway to Brevard, but how is the section from Waynesville to the Blue Ridge Parkway?

Is it an easy road to travel?

Old 11-21-2010, 12:25 AM

Buttercup,

You know, I've been on the sustainable agriculture site several times, but somehow I didn't pick up on the CSA farms in Transylvania county! And I was wondering why there weren't any!

There seem to be three of them:

Holly Hill Farm in Pisgah Forest

Morningside Farm in Brevard

Our Farm at Richland in Brevard

How I missed these, I'll never figure out.

Old 11-21-2010, 08:44 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,549,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Question:

Highway 276 from Waynesville to Brevard.

I've been on the section of 276 from the Blue Ridge Parkway to Brevard, but how is the section from Waynesville to the Blue Ridge Parkway?

Is it an easy road to travel?

As a local, I would say no and would never attempt either way in the winter. Many times you get to the 215 turnoff from the BRP or Waynesville, and it is closed. We like I-40 for getting there. If you are just cruising, then you have the time. It is an excellent motorcycle ride in the summer though!

It is very dependent on the weather. Rt. 215 is curvy and long. Add on the mileage coming down 276 into Pisgah at 280. Try this site: www.milebymile.com

Old 11-21-2010, 01:19 PM

165 posts, read 1,285,494 times
Default a Brevard update...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtercupMcToots View Post
Hagendorn's just opened on Caldwell St. They sell local food and have a deli. They do a trout dinner once a week. This is their first year.
Hagedorn's is now out of business.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
As a local, I would say no and would never attempt either way in the winter. Many times you get to the 215 turnoff from the BRP or Waynesville, and it is closed. We like I-40 for getting there. If you are just cruising, then you have the time. It is an excellent motorcycle ride in the summer though!

It is very dependent on the weather. Rt. 215 is curvy and long. Add on the mileage coming down 276 into Pisgah at 280. Try this site: www.milebymile.com
You would not attempt driving 276 in the winter? Why? It's not high altitude is it?

I'm talking about taking 276 from Waynesville to Brevard and avoiding the parkway completely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina