Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 08:19 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,530,699 times

Advertisements

Brevard is a great little town but it would be a hard commute to either CLT or ATL. The hospital in Brevard is not the greatest. Better care in Hendersonville or Asheville.

Also note you said you guys were "foodies." Brevard is pretty lacking in this department also unfortunately. But the hiking, biking and outdoor activities are spectacular!

I love the quaint town with the college and music festival.
I have friends and family in both Brevard and Asheville. I am also an RN and for years was warned about Transylvania Hospital and their poor care in general. Got to experience first hand last year on a trip to their emergency department when I took a friend after a fall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 01:45 PM

20 posts, read 37,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
It's not the first time that Brevard has appeared on a "best of" list.
I'm hoping to move to WNC next year and have narrowed my choices down to either Brevard or Blowing Rock/Boone area.

I really like the higher elevation that Blowing Rock offers but Brevard may be more practical because of location and its a bit larger with more amenities etc.
We just spent 10 days in WNC, and stayed in both Blowing Rock and Brevard. Love them both, and like you, we're torn as to where we'd want to retire! I'm leaning towards Blowing Rock, but it seems like it might be more expensive to buy a home there......

Old 10-21-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Brevard is a great little town but it would be a hard commute to either CLT or ATL. The hospital in Brevard is not the greatest. Better care in Hendersonville or Asheville.

Also note you said you guys were "foodies." Brevard is pretty lacking in this department also unfortunately. But the hiking, biking and outdoor activities are spectacular!

I love the quaint town with the college and music festival.
I have friends and family in both Brevard and Asheville. I am also an RN and for years was warned about Transylvania Hospital and their poor care in general. Got to experience first hand last year on a trip to their emergency department when I took a friend after a fall.
Hmmm - That's kind of scary...... Especially since if we move there, it'll be to retire. Guess we need to keep healthcare in mind, not just beauty

Old 10-21-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halo_in_reverse View Post
Mills River (Henderson County), which is fairly close to Brevard - I would say it's about 1/2 way between Brevard and Asheville. I can shoot straight down Hwy. 280 and be in Brevard in about 20-30 minutes and can get to downtown Asheville in about 30 minutes. I tried getting as close to Brevard/Transylvania County as I could. Don't get me wrong. I really like Mills River (beautiful) and Henderson County is a good county to live in. I just happen to be enchanted with Brevard/Transylvania County.

But alas, there are not that many job opportunities in the Brevard area or really even Henderson County for that matter. That's why I went to work over in Asheville. It's OK - when I lived in Northern Virginia, I commuted 45 minutes each way and didn't have nearly the views I have now on my commute. All I saw up there was the bumpers of the cars in front of me

If you move up to this area. Don't forget to go for a hike up in Dupont State Forest - it's gorgeous up there and if you like waterfalls then this is THE place to be. I particularly like Hooker Falls and the giant swimming hole at its base. Great way to cool off in the summertime.
I work in Northern Virginia, and am hoping to move/retire to the Western NC area - either Asheville area and suburbs or closer up to Blowing Rock. I have that "back of the bumper in front of you" commute now, living in Fredericksburg. On a good day, it's 90 minutes each way, but can be 3 hours or more each way, depending on traffic. I'd MUCH rather see the mountains!

Old 10-23-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Love Poppies! I agree though some perceive Brevard as "isolated" I actually feel it is just the opposite. I was surprised how short the drive from Brevard to ASheville is. And the airport is convenient as well. I'm still doing the Brevard, Black Mountain, or Blowing Rock/Boone debate in my head. Brevard seems like a great compromise though I do like the higher altitude of Blowing Rock area.

I like Brevard because it is convenient but still is a single-standing small town. I love that it has the college and music festival and also all those trails outside one's door!

You sound like me - We're looking at Brevard, Black Mountain and Blowing Rock/Boone for retirement in a few years!

Old 10-23-2014, 01:16 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theres126 View Post
You sound like me - We're looking at Brevard, Black Mountain and Blowing Rock/Boone for retirement in a few years!

Boone and Blowing Rock can be considered "isolated". From Boone to Asheville is a 2 hr. drive. If you want entertainment, restaurants, things to do and see, look within a 25 mile radius of Asheville.

PS: Poppies went out of business about 4 years ago.

Last edited by QuilterChick; 10-23-2014 at 01:42 PM..

Old 11-09-2014, 06:54 PM

2 posts, read 3,416 times
Thanks much for the responses! We'll investigate Hendersonville. Best to all, FH.

Old 11-13-2014, 10:13 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Im going to play devil advocate I hope this will not make Brevard just another Suburb with Vinyl homes on Postage Stamp Lots and loose it character & nature due to trees being cut down & housing & commercial development. It a great down for visiting though.
Hammondsport, NY won this a couple years ago. Absolutely nothing changed. There's more tourists, but plastic houses didn't start popping up because of it.

Old 05-21-2016, 02:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,200 times
Thumbs up Thanks

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread. I have been lurking on it for quite a while now and appreciate the wealth of information provided. I am just like thousands of other Floridians who are hoping to escape the heat and crowds at some point now that the kids are graduated.

I was born in Clearwater and am still in that same county so I am used to living in a tourist driven environment. I am still curious as to how us flatfoots are accepted these days though.

Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina