Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 06:59 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,411,405 times

Advertisements

Uh oh, I just found this quote on the internet:

"The temperature begins to drop as 276 climbs up to its junction with The Blue Ridge Parkway around 4400 feet"

So it looks like it gets higher as it gets close to the parkway. Bummer.

It's funny. To me, Brevard isn't all that isolated from Asheville or places I want to go. It's just hard to get to from Hiawassee, GA! No direct route at all. The most direct route is highway 64 and I don't want to drive that in the winter either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 10:01 PM

532 posts, read 1,091,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryH3 View Post
Hagedorn's is now out of business.
Wow, that was fast. They just opened this spring. It was a bad location.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:13 PM

Brevard isn't all that isolated. It just gets old sometimes. And you have to devote a fair amount of time to doing anything in Asheville. You have to add two hours to whatever you are doing. I always have to be back in a reasonable time to let the dogs out. But we do it on a fairly regular basis. We made our first trip to the Handlebar in Greenville SC to hear music. Went to the movie in Asheville today and ate at LAB.

If you want organic berries, the parkway has lots. The picking was pretty easy this year.

People seemed to like Morningside for the CSA this year. Holly Hill has wonderful kale, lots of varieties. I don't know anything about the other one. Queen's Farm is fun to go to for their raspberries. The original owner is still there, even though he doesn't own it anymore. He knows a lot about the area. They are growing (I don't know if grow is the right work) truffles. They aren't old enough to harvest yet.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:06 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
The only ways to get from Waynesville to Brevard is to cross the Pisgah Forest. That means either taking Rt. 215 out of Waynesville down to Rt. 64 near Rosman. Or, taking Rt. 276 out of Waynesville and when you get to the BRP, you take a right and come down to Rt. 280. Rt. 215 from Waynesville is a longer drive than 276.

The BRP is Rt. 151. Simply Google Waynesville NC and you will see where the roads traverse. You can also go to the BRP website and see where the mileposts are, and the entrances/exits and check the elevations.

Yes, the altitudes are high, and icy road conditions are prevalent in the winter, falling rocks, etc. That is why they close the parkway at some of the mileposts.

You should drive it in good weather, that is the only way you will know where you are going and how long it takes.

Here is an excerpt I copied for you from our RV travels and the Cradle of Forestry Discovery Center site:

"U.S. Rt. 276 within the Pisgah Forest has very significant grades and curves. There are warning signs posted for truckers. Caution is advised for RVer’s approaching the area from the west on Rt. 276 via Caruso and Waynesville, you will find rock outcroppings and trees very close to the right side of the rig and very tight curves on this two-lane road. There are no passing lanes or long pullouts once you start the ascent within the forest. Approaching the area from the east via Brevard area is somewhat easier with more pullouts and somewhat easier curves. Access from the Blue Ridge Pkwy down the East Side of the summit is a four mile 7-8% grade with moderate curves. Entrance to the Cradle of Forestry is via a large driveway marked with large signs mounted on top of large logs. (Do not confuse with the entrance to the nearby “Pink Beds” recreational area parking lot) There is adequate parking at the Cradle on the lower parking lot marked for RV parking.
Volunteers are utilized extensively at the Cradle for most of the visitor service positions. Secluded RV sites with three-way hookups are provided at the Cradle for Workampers Staff only. Telephone hookups are now available. Prospective volunteers should contact Barbara Merrell at 828-877-3130 during business hours or via barbmerrel@aol.com."

Last edited by QuilterChick; 11-22-2010 at 07:10 AM.. Reason: Inserted quote from COF

Old 11-22-2010, 07:19 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
Just wanted to add something to think about relative to relocating in Brevard. For anyone who wants relatively easy access to good medical care, cardiac issues, cancer issues, and so forth; we neverknow, do we. Consider the time it will take to get to top medical care in Asheville, Mission Hospitals is very highly rated, No. 5 in the country I believe for cardiac care as an example. Park Ridge Hospital in Fletcher (off Rt. 25) is also on my list of places to go, and ParDee in Hendersonville (just off Rt. 64) is also excellent. (Personally, I would go out of my way to avoid Transylvania Cty Hospt. and I'm sure I'll get some heat for that remark.)But ... this is an opinion forum and that's an opinion from an informed local.

Where you put down roots is not all about flowers and veggies and high priced tourist traps. They are everywhere here in the mountains.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:41 AM

I have thought about medical care, because we are far more isolated where I am now. That is part of the reason we need to move. A drive to Asheville is more convenient than the drive to Gainesville, GA we have here, which is over mountains.

So, why do you dislike the hospital in Transylvania?

Old 11-22-2010, 12:41 PM

We're very pleased with Transylvania Hospital. My husband has a cardiac doc in Asheville and one from the same office here in Brevard.
QuilterChick, where do you live?

Old 11-22-2010, 01:29 PM

Buttercup,

Do you wish you had moved closer to Asheville? Just curious.

Where I live is more isolated. Right now, if I wanted to go to Wal-Mart, I'd have to go to the far side of the next county over. Not that I love Wal-Mart, but there are a couple of items I can only get there.

That would be at least a 40 minute trip each way, just for a freaking Wal-Mart! It used to be worse because we had to go all the way to Murphy before.

Old 11-22-2010, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Buttercup,

Do you wish you had moved closer to Asheville? Just curious.

Where I live is more isolated. Right now, if I wanted to go to Wal-Mart, I'd have to go to the far side of the next county over. Not that I love Wal-Mart, but there are a couple of items I can only get there.

That would be at least a 40 minute trip each way, just for a freaking Wal-Mart! It used to be worse because we had to go all the way to Murphy before.
If I've been to something late at night I wish I was closer. Or if there are several things I'm there for in a week I would like to be closer. I don't go as much in the summer because it is so crowded. But I like Brevard a lot, I like the access to Pisgah and Dupont. I like the people in town. I like my doctor. Have you been to the library? That's a wonderful place. It's easy to get involved or not. Several hiking groups, the charitable groups are amazing with what they accomplish. I feel pretty much at home after only a few years. I'm on the Greenville side of Brevard so it takes me about 10 or 15 minutes to get to town when the Fl people are gone, maybe 10 minutes longer when they're here. I don't mind because they spend lots of money. I like Brevard Music Center. I might not have realized how much I like it. I guess it depends on what you want to do. I hiked today and I don't want to do anything else tonight.

Old 11-28-2010, 01:24 PM

12 posts, read 34,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
How are you going to get to Greenville SC from Brevard? You have to either go Rt. 280E to get to I-26, or go 64 E to Crab Creek Rd. into Hendersonville which is very pretty, but a pain.

Yes Hendersonville seems to be more of a tourist attraction, and I love Brevard immensely, to visit, don't get me wrong. But the reason is Hendersonville is quick access to Asheville (20 mins.) and I-26 in either direction. Greenville downtown 45 mins. GSP airport 45 mins.(via the "shortcut" off Rt. 25) and Charlotte airport 2 hrs.

Have you been to Mills River or Etowah? Very nice, rural, homes tucked up in small developments. Worth checking it out.
You ain't from here are ya??? lol
From Brevard, you simply take 64W to US 276, take a left and go. It takes about an hour to get to Greenville this way. It takes you past Connestee, Cedar Mountain, down the mountain to Travelers Rest and on into Greenville. It is actually closer to go to Greenville from some areas in Transylvania County than it is to go to Asheville. Of course, if you don't like mountain roads you are SOL. This is a two lane, winding crooked road. The kind I like the best!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina