Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 04:51 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,900,057 times

Advertisements

Coolest Small Towns: Brevard, N.C. (population 6,716) - Bing Travel (http://www.bing.com/travel/content/search?q=Coolest+Small+Towns%3a+Brevard%2c+N.C.+(p opulation+6%2c716)&FORM=RQTRAV - broken link)

Quote:
Coolest Small Towns: Brevard, N.C. (population 6,716)

If the notion of town-wide square dances with an old-time caller sounds appealing, then Brevard is your kind of place. Set in the Blue Ridge Mountains 45 minutes south of Asheville, the redbrick town is an outpost of authentic Appalachia. Every Tuesday night in summer, locals block off Main Street, a bluegrass band strikes up, and everyone lets loose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 07:28 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,250,583 times
I love Brevard and if it weren't too far of a commute for work then I'd live out there in a second

Old 09-22-2010, 08:55 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,411,405 times
I saw that Brevard was voted "Coolest Small Town" by the readers of Budget Travel. I sure hope it's cool, since that's where we think we'll move!

No matter which other town I consider, I keep coming back to it.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
I saw that Brevard was voted "Coolest Small Town" by the readers of Budget Travel. I sure hope it's cool, since that's where we think we'll move!

No matter which other town I consider, I keep coming back to it.
You're soooo lucky It's such a wonderful little town. Sheesh, maybe they should hire me for their Convention and Visitor's Bureau they way I gush on about it .... LOL

Old 09-22-2010, 11:10 AM

Where do you live now?

Old 09-22-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Where do you live now?
Mills River (Henderson County), which is fairly close to Brevard - I would say it's about 1/2 way between Brevard and Asheville. I can shoot straight down Hwy. 280 and be in Brevard in about 20-30 minutes and can get to downtown Asheville in about 30 minutes. I tried getting as close to Brevard/Transylvania County as I could. Don't get me wrong. I really like Mills River (beautiful) and Henderson County is a good county to live in. I just happen to be enchanted with Brevard/Transylvania County.

But alas, there are not that many job opportunities in the Brevard area or really even Henderson County for that matter. That's why I went to work over in Asheville. It's OK - when I lived in Northern Virginia, I commuted 45 minutes each way and didn't have nearly the views I have now on my commute. All I saw up there was the bumpers of the cars in front of me

If you move up to this area. Don't forget to go for a hike up in Dupont State Forest - it's gorgeous up there and if you like waterfalls then this is THE place to be. I particularly like Hooker Falls and the giant swimming hole at its base. Great way to cool off in the summertime.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:48 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
Coolest Small Towns: Brevard, N.C. (population 6,716) - Bing Travel (http://www.bing.com/travel/content/search?q=Coolest+Small+Towns%3a+Brevard%2c+N.C.+(p opulation+6%2c716)&FORM=RQTRAV - broken link)
Doesn't surprise me

Old 09-22-2010, 11:53 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
Im going to play devil advocate I hope this will not make Brevard just another Suburb with Vinyl homes on Postage Stamp Lots and loose it character & nature due to trees being cut down & housing & commercial development. It a great down for visiting though.

Old 09-22-2010, 01:26 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,530,699 times
It's not the first time that Brevard has appeared on a "best of" list.
I'm hoping to move to WNC next year and have narrowed my choices down to either Brevard or Blowing Rock/Boone area.

I really like the higher elevation that Blowing Rock offers but Brevard may be more practical because of location and its a bit larger with more amenities etc.

Old 09-22-2010, 02:10 PM

Halo,

I thought about Mills River too. And yes, I know about Dupont and can't wait to see it. I've read so many books about WNC over the last two decades, that I feel like a guidebook.

I've visited Asheville sporadically in my life because I was born there when my father was going to school at Mars Hill. So I have lots of knowledge, but less daily experience. I know the general layout of the city, but not at all like the back of my hand.

I moved to Marble, NC (near Murphy) in 2001 and then to Hiawassee, GA in 2005. The far western mountains have some neat things, but they are not for me. So not interested in Murphy, Andrews, Robbinsville or Bryson City.

Passed through Hendersonville's Main Street a few years ago, and it didn't feel feel like what I was looking for.

Franklin is nice and getting better all the time, but too conservative and not close to towns I like.

I want to be in proximity to Asheville and intend to go there a lot, but don't want to live in the middle of it.

Boone/Blowing Rock is out of the question, due to super cold winters and cost of living.

Weaverville doesn't seem to have enough of what I want.

Waynesville would be fun to visit, but I don't want to drive I-40 to Asheville and doesn't have enough of what I want.

Dillsboro fun to visit and that's all. Maggie Valley seems geared to tourists only and I saw some tacky stuff along the main drag. Sylva too small and that paper mill! Same for Canton.

Highlands and Cashiers I love, but are too expensive and brutally cold.

There are treasures in all these towns I've rejected, but that's what day trips are for. Brevard is located smack in the middle of the best day trips. Brevard has the mix of forest and culture I'm looking for. Waterfalls and music! Art! A working downtown that is a mix of practical needs and fun shops and galleries. The only small town I found with an organic grocery store (Poppies). Seems politically balanced and not too crazy in either direction. And judging by their festivals, they seem to have a sense of humor.

It's the only place that's calling me, yet it's the place I've spent the least time in. Crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina