Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 10:28 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
My favorites:
I also like the town of Brevard, love the Sunrise cafe and the college. But the one thing I don't care for is that the entire downtown seems to close down and the are not many great restaurants or much happening downtown. Other than Sunrise cafe and the mexican restaurant I don't really know of any coffee shows, bakeries, or nice hangouts.
For Brevard, how about these:

Coffee

Quotations Coffee
Brighter Day Coffee

Bakeries

Bracken Mountain Bakery
Blue Ridge Bakery

Restaurants with Music

The Quarry Restaurant & Piano Bar
The Square Root

Also Poppies Gourmet Farmers Market is an upscale market focusing on local sources and organic. They have a cafe and you can eat in the garden where there's often live music and people hanging out.

Poppies Gourmet Farmers Market - Brevard, NC

Land of Waterfalls | Brevard & Transylvania County, NC, Tourism: outdoor recreation, arts & culture, accommodations, dining and more!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 07:25 AM

1,379 posts, read 3,918,830 times
I think Burnsville is kind of charming, in an old small hometown kind of way.

Old 10-07-2010, 02:13 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,468,873 times
I think my favorite is downtown hendersonville. Great food and some really cute shops.

I live 15 minutes from Black Mountain and find it boring with little there. Its all the same crap store wise. I didn't find anything unique.

Old 10-07-2010, 04:04 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times
Saucy,

I went to Black Mountain in 1992 and didn't think anything of it. It was tiny and had sort of depressing aura about it to me. Even though downtown Asheville was boarded up then also, it didn't feel as depressing.

So imagine my surprise to hear that so many people love Black Mountain. All I can think is that it's undergone a real metamorphosis. I guess it's had plenty of time to do so since I was there eighteen years ago!

All the rave reviews have got my curiosity up.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:01 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,468,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Saucy,

I went to Black Mountain in 1992 and didn't think anything of it. It was tiny and had sort of depressing aura about it to me. Even though downtown Asheville was boarded up then also, it didn't feel as depressing.

All the rave reviews have got my curiosity up.

First, we both seems to be astronomy lovers .

I too hadn't been there for years and went again this year when family came to visit thinking it might have gotten better. Plus theres a store with nothing but moose stuff.....my favorite animal ever.

At 10:30am on a saturday, a lot of places were still closed. Those that were open weren't worth the 15 minute drive because most were just store bought china crap. I had high hopes for the moose store, but was really disappointed because again there was nothing unique. If you want neat Appalachian mountain culture, the folk art center on the parkway is way better than black mountain.

I did find the fly fishing shop there extremely nice though. The people were friendly, knowledgeable ...and they were opened at a reasonable time!

I think Black mountain has has a huge boom of retirees recently which might account for all the raving. My grandpa loves golden coral...doesn't mean its good... Can't argue with a 95 year old though!

Old 10-08-2010, 04:48 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,527,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
For Brevard, how about these:
Coffee
Quotations Coffee
Brighter Day Coffee
Bakeries
Bracken Mountain Bakery
Blue Ridge Bakery
Restaurants with Music
The Quarry Restaurant & Piano Bar
The Square Root
Also Poppies Gourmet Farmers Market is an upscale market focusing on local sources and organic. They have a cafe and you can eat in the garden where there's often live music and people hanging out.
Poppies Gourmet Farmers Market - Brevard, NC
Land of Waterfalls | Brevard & Transylvania County, NC, Tourism: outdoor recreation, arts & culture, accommodations, dining and more!
Yes, love Poppies but they aren't really downtown, but a definite nice addition to the area.
Thanks, will have to check out the coffee shop and bakery. I just noticed that the downtown seems to shut down and lock up tight fairly early. It just doesn't seem like a vibrant downtown like some of the other downtown areas mentioned. But it is still high on my list for all the other wonderful qualities.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:51 PM

73 posts, read 276,962 times
Waynesville. More real than Blowing Rock.

Old 10-12-2010, 12:33 PM

4,787 posts, read 10,602,776 times
Waynesville, though we live here/above it at 5,000 ft, so I am not totally objective, ;>)
We like Blowing Rock, Brevard, Hendersonville, and Sylva too.

The general econ has been hard on most of the downtowns in western NC...and, not
sure how many more galleries, cutesy stores and shops, and restaurants can be started
and kept viable.
GL, mD

Old 10-13-2010, 09:19 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,527,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
Waynesville, though we live here/above it at 5,000 ft, so I am not totally objective, ;>)
We like Blowing Rock, Brevard, Hendersonville, and Sylva too.
The general econ has been hard on most of the downtowns in western NC...
Hi motordavid, years ago i was backpacking and came into the town of Waynesville and I adored it. The downtown area was adorable, first stop Mast General store! Then there was a really nice bookshop and several great coffee shops. Waynesville was one of my top small towns not just for the cute downtown but elevation and access to hiking etc.

But I must admit I visited again in July and was not nearly as taken with the downtown area as I was before. I hardly reconized it frankly. I mean it still had Mast but previously it seemed prettier and more upscale. I couldn't find the bookstore or coffe shops. No container gardens or flowers lining the street.
Maybe I just had an idealized memory of Waynesville but I can't deny I was a tad disappointed.

Don't get me wrong it is still a great town with beautiful mountains and ease of access to the great outdoors.

Old 10-13-2010, 04:45 PM

36 posts, read 93,295 times
We love Brevard! Great lunches at The Falls Landing. Shopping at the Antique Mall a few doors down from the restaurant. Lots of small shops. Can't remember the name of our favorite, but it is a small, narrow shop across the main intersection from the restaurant and down about a block from the White Squirrel Shoppe (also a nice store, but not particularly our cup of tea). The one I'm talking about has a nice little mix of random antiques, local jewelry, handmade soaps, coffee mugs, and so forth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina