Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 03:17 PM
Ody

Location: Right there, next time out, look I could be right next ;or in front of you
136 posts, read 287,427 times

Advertisements

GL ;
sent you a DM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 03:22 PM

21 posts, read 97,928 times
Why on earth would NC DEH and EPA want to shut down all community wells in the next decade? To my knowledge it is fine to be on a community well. I just bought a lot and the county approved the deed that gave me water rights to a community well system. The regs permit it provided you don't go over a certain number of connections. In Buncombe County it is 14.

More than 14 connections to a well and you need to apply to become a public water utility which is subject to another set of regs. Motordavid, it sounds like your community was out of compliance with 30 connections. If that was the case then it is a different story to the one you are telling.

Old 02-01-2011, 03:42 PM

4,791 posts, read 10,617,090 times
We had 30 connections, with an add'l potential 10 taps. The system had been in place since the late '70s. Never a problem with quantity, (even in the drought periods), or quality. The weekly tests passed every time, both private lab and the NC DEH. There was zero comment, all during the process, about the 'number' of homeowners on our system. We were a 'public water utility' but not in the current sense of the regulations, as we/our system, had been 'grandfathered' repeatedly by both Haywood County, and the State.

There was never a 'compliance' question, in a year of hard ball meetings, leading up to 'their' decision, which forced us to make the move to city water. And, never a case of 'quality' or bacteria or lead, or...

RE: "If that was the case then it is a different story to the one you are telling."

Not a different story than what I have posted; I avoided the term paper version, but the facts and events and pertinent points were posted. As I have noted at least twice in this thread, I firmly believe we/our situ was a focus point for some reason, and after seeing what our little mtn community went through, I suspect they have back burner'd their initial goal and rigorous intent.

I am basically done with anymore input on 'our' well situ; my initial post was simply to alert that poster what was clearly a directive on the State's part, when they initiated their draconian move against us, 3 years ago, and the clear message they couched the focus on our situ, within their own stated objectives, at that time. After considerable effort, serious money costs, a construction project of 17 months, and with the grateful help of a few Waynesville public utility people and an elected official, we have been on City water since June 2010.
Doesn't taste quite as good, costs more, but it is what it is. Case closed.
GL, mD

Last edited by motordavid; 02-01-2011 at 03:56 PM..

Old 02-03-2011, 07:39 PM

8 posts, read 15,778 times
Thanks everyone for the insite - the topic suprised me - I will ask a lot of questions if I come to the point of considering a home with a shared well.

Thanks Again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina