Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 06:16 PM

1,543 posts, read 1,535,261 times

Advertisements

There are not many jobs new that pay well in the Hickory area. Target Distribution is one of the many new employers in Catawba County. Most new companies like Target, have starting wages around $9-$11/hour. My wife lost her old job due to this horrendous economy. At the time she was making around $17/hour.

When she started at Target, she was making $7 less an hour. That is typical for so many in this area.So many people are finding work, but there is not enough money to pay the bills. She is ready to leave the Unifour and go to another area not only because of pay, but also because most of these new employers have dead-end jobs with no opportunity for advancement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 12:10 PM

116 posts, read 272,994 times
Default Retire in

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
... Huge retirement area here. True story
quilterchick, I am interested in looking at this area for retirement also. Without getting into golf retirement communities, what locales in the area are most retirees settling in? I would like to investigate.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:34 PM

112 posts, read 317,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FisherOne View Post
quilterchick, I am interested in looking at this area for retirement also. Without getting into golf retirement communities, what locales in the area are most retirees settling in? I would like to investigate.

In my experience areas that are very popular for retirees are Waynesville, Weaverville, Hendersonville, Boone, Brevard, Lake Lure, Lake Junaluska, Lake Logan, Lake Keowee, Sylva, Bryson City.

There are several retirement (over 55) communities & housing developments all over Asheville. I have a friend that lives in Crow Fields on Hendersonville Rd, Very nice spacious town houses, in a private wooded area that at one time was part of Biltmore Estate. Her town house borders onto Biltmore Forrest.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:24 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,552,885 times
Quote:
Fisher, it depends on the price range. There are some very nice communities in Hendersonville and other areas that do not have golf. Ranging from a lovely mfd.. home community from $50's to $80's on leased land, very desireable and affordable... and some very nice non-golf subdivisions/communities from high $100's to $500's and so forth. Also depends how close to town you want to be and how high up on a mountain or level land etc. Many variables.

Last edited by QuilterChick; 02-14-2011 at 01:29 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-15-2011, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Fisher, it depends on the price range. There are some very nice communities in Hendersonville and other areas that do not have golf. Ranging from a lovely mfd.. home community from $50's to $80's on leased land, very desireable and affordable... and some very nice non-golf subdivisions/communities from high $100's to $500's and so forth. Also depends how close to town you want to be and how high up on a mountain or level land etc. Many variables.
Do you know any areas to investigate along the I-40 corridor, like around or between Morganton and Hickory, or are these undesirable areas?

Old 02-15-2011, 07:06 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,296,713 times
Quote:
Do you know any areas to investigate along the I-40 corridor, like around or between Morganton and Hickory, or are these undesirable areas?
What kind of place do you want? You said you aren't looking for a golf retirement community, but are you looking for a non-golf retirement community? Or just a nice place to live? I read a couple of your posts from your other threads and get the idea that you're looking for a smaller place with less maintenance. Are you thinking of a townhouse, or just a smaller house?

The area between Morganton and Hickory is just a string of small towns along I-40. I've never heard of them having anything of particular interest to retired people, except for those who grew up in the area. Hickory itself maybe, or Newton, or Morganton.

A bigger concern is the humidity. Plan a long visit in July before you make a decision. If your wife does not like humidity, she will be miserable. I moved here from the west thinking I could "take" the heat and humidity, but I was wrong.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:14 AM

Quote:
I would say Morganton and Hickory would be more family type areas; but I am not 100% famiiar with them. Many people who work in the Charlotte area lives a bit south of Hickory, so I can see that area getting more crowded, but not a retiree area per se.

Along the I 40 corridor, I would suggest Black Mountain to the east of Asheville a few miles; (not Swannanoa which is closer to Asheville); some nice single family subdivisions along Sweeten Creek Road which runs sort of parallel to Rt. 25N & S, plenty of activities, big retirement community there called Givens Estates (but quite pricey). Also some nice condo complexes along Rt. 74 to the east of Asheville. But you will deal with high taxes and high condo HOA fees.

Once again, not knowing your price range, it's not easy to give you an informed answer. Anywhere within 25 mile radius of Asheville is very easy to get to I-40. I like to suggest Henderson County for many reasons. Easy access to I-40, I-26, better weather, lower taxes, lower cost of living than you get closer to Asheville or north of Asheville. The easy access to SC where Greenville SC is a thriving area, plenty to do and only a 35 mile gorgeous drive. (It is NOT humid over here, no more than 50% or 60% humidity all summer, unless a rare day or two if it gets up to 90 and is more humid due to a storm on the way. It would feel more humid of course if someone comes from Arizona understandably.) We are in the mountains this area was settled by folks from the coast, Charleston SC and FL etc., because they were escaping the oppressive heat and humidity over there.)

To the west of Asheville it is very nice in Waynesville, a quaint town, easy access to I-40. You would not want to go further west than that because it gets more remote and isolating over there. Don't know what you are looking for yet. Hope this helps.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Once again, not knowing your price range, it's not easy to give you an informed answer... Don't know what you are looking for yet. Hope this helps.
QuilterChick, I know I can look this up on internet, but curious about what someone local has to say. I want to downsize to 1500-2000 sqft home in the 150-175k range. Likely looking at a single family home. Wife wants access to college and women's social groups. I want access to better overall weather. Quite frankly Ashville is too expensive, stopped and looked at it once. Also drove through Hendersonville. We are planning another drive through in March on return from FL. Based on this info would you change any previous recommendation or suggest areas to "drive though".

Also, you mention lower humidity where you are? Can you give some generalization, say using I-40 as a east-west line, where humidity changes?

Old 02-16-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:
QuilterChick, I know I can look this up on internet, but curious about what someone local has to say. I want to downsize to 1500-2000 sqft home in the 150-175k range. Likely looking at a single family home. Wife wants access to college and women's social groups. I want access to better overall weather. Quite frankly Ashville is too expensive, stopped and looked at it once. Also drove through Hendersonville. We are planning another drive through in March on return from FL. Based on this info would you change any previous recommendation or suggest areas to "drive though".

Also, you mention lower humidity where you are? Can you give some generalization, say using I-40 as a east-west line, where humidity changes?
Hi, I still say Hendersonville is your best bet for weather and proximity to the above. Plenty of women's social groups of all types, arts, culture, entertainment; there is also a great "Opportunity House" here (you can Google it for website) for retired folks, all sorts of activities there. I would say you could get an average of 1500 sq. ft. in nice condition in that price range. The Blue Ridge Community College is here; they have a website. I really would not change any previous recommendations based on what you are looking for, weather and activities being uppermost. The closer you get to Asheville the more expensive it will be, and the more crowded, traffic etc. Here is a good website for you to check the weather stats. I can't say with any expertise where along the I-40 line the humidity changes. I can tell you, there is no comparison between weather on the eastern coast of NC, SC, GA, FL .... the elevation is what makes the weather here in the mountains. Hendersonville is at 2200 ft. above sea level. If you go "down the mountains" into SC (20 miles to the state line), the temps will be about 8 to 10 degrees warmer, and that makes a huge difference in the summer. And, I've been to FL in July .... and wanted God to save me and get me outta' there !

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

http://historichendersonville.org/

http://www.opportunityhouse.org/

You may also want to look up the Isothermal College website, they have some excellent weather information on there.

http://www.isothermal.edu/

Last edited by Yac; 12-28-2011 at 05:18 AM.. Reason: added a link

Old 02-16-2011, 04:57 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,296,713 times
Hendersonville:

Hickory:

[LEFT]
Read more: //www.city-data.com/city/Hickory-North-Carolina.html#ixzz1EAY0kxOS
[/LEFT]

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina