Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 07:09 PM

112 posts, read 317,162 times

Advertisements

Doesn't seem to be much of a difference if any with the humidity and temps between Hendersonville & Hickory.

From my personal life long experience there is little to no deference between temps & humidity anywhere in the mtns. Yes the higher in elevations you get the lower the temps but humidity still stays pretty high during the summer months no matter what town you live in.

The only real difference you will feel is when you get off in a dense forestry area or near a rushing river. The Forrest shades you from the sun & does not allow the humidity to build up but if you were to stand in downtown Hendersonville, then go to downtown Asheville, then go to downtown Waynesville or any other area like that in the mtns you probably would not notice a difference between the temps & humidity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 12:26 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,995,797 times
Default Climate

Hendersonville is around 1,000 feet higher than Hickory.

From the Southeast Regional Climate Center(SERCC):

HENDERSONVILLE, NORTH CAROLINA - Climate Summary

HICKORY, NORTH CAROLINA - Climate Summary

Old 05-31-2011, 07:32 PM

6 posts, read 7,790 times
Thank you all for the updated Hickory info. My husband (who will be working from home--IT job) and I just returned home from a visit to Charlotte. I have had my heart set on Hickory for years..and to think it is almost a reality I cannot express to you my excitemet. ) We are planning a visit to the Hickory area in July. I hear what everyone is saying--I just wish and hope it isn't as bad as I have read. We will be using the public schools (2 kids going into High School soon)...I just can' believe a city in the perfect location isn't perfect in all the other ways too.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:59 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bflorez View Post
Thank you all for the updated Hickory info. My husband (who will be working from home--IT job) and I just returned home from a visit to Charlotte. I have had my heart set on Hickory for years..and to think it is almost a reality I cannot express to you my excitemet. ) We are planning a visit to the Hickory area in July. I hear what everyone is saying--I just wish and hope it isn't as bad as I have read. We will be using the public schools (2 kids going into High School soon)...I just can' believe a city in the perfect location isn't perfect in all the other ways too.
I am curious. Why do you believe Hickory is the perfect location? If you have only read about it, and not visited Hickory, you could be in for a disappointment depending on your high expectations.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:01 PM

Oh, I meant perfect in location...close to the mountains...decent drive to the beach. Just that...nothing more at this point since we have never been. I meant perfect in theory.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:03 PM

QuilterChick--do you have any imput on my theory? I would love to hear the good and bad from someone who actually lives there. We currently live in the Memphis, TN area so you can't scare me off with humidity and heat....haha

Old 06-01-2011, 07:11 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Default Hickory etc

Quote:
QuilterChick--do you have any imput on my theory? I would love to hear the good and bad from someone who actually lives there. We currently live in the Memphis, TN area so you can't scare me off with humidity and heat....haha

Actually, I don't understand what your "theory" is, except you seem to have fallen in love with an area that you don't know anything about... kind of like throwing darts at a map. I don't live in or close to Hickory; I am near Hendersonville which is awesome; and also am a retired Realtor and this has been my "backyard" for several years. If you want a location halfway between the beach and the mountains, you should check out this website: www.carolinaliving.com Charlotte is the largest city in NC I believe, the interstate is daunting, fast traffic, faster life there. Not a good barometer of the entire state.

My best advice to you would be to come and visit for at least two weeks, travel the various small towns along Rt. 40 East and West, and travel small towns up and down the I26 interstate which runs southeast to northwest (sort of). The area is so vast and all towns are different in what they offer. The state itself is huge; in Hickory, yes you would be closer to the mountains, but a trek to "the beach" would not be a regular occurrence, it's quite a trip to the coast. You can actually get to Myrtle Beach SC faster than you can get to the crystal coast of NC.

Hickory has had some issues, the furniture mfg. business left there a while back, and left the town in bad financial shape. Morganton has a lot of empty stores and next door to Hickory to the west.

You just have to put your feet on the ground here and decide whether you want beach or mountains; it's a far stretch to get to either one on a regular basis. And, I still don't understand your "theory". But I sure do wish you the best.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:19 PM

Just got back from a week in Charlotte and surrounding areas. Not sure I want to live in such a large area. We did not like Myrtle Beach at all...ended up spending our time at Sunset Beach, NC and loved it. Much better beach/swimming experience than Myrtle. Well, as you said--throwing darts at the map. In a way I guess you are right about that which is why we are going to look around next month. As for "theory" like I said...location only since I have nothing concrete to back that up. You might be reading too much into my wording since I was only meaning--best of both worlds by being able to decide "do we want to go hike in the mountions or do we want to go put our feet in the ocean" for a weekend getaway. Where we are right now is a mininum 3 hour drive to the mountains and over 6 to the Gulf. So, driving is nothing for us. We are quite use to it. Thank you for the information. I look forward to hearing more as well. Our move is dependant on our house selling so we might have a while still to find our utopia. ;o)

Old 06-02-2011, 06:27 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,288,829 times
Quote:
Maybe not perfect, but good enough. You already have the important part taken care of - your husband is employed. Do you also need to find a job?

Old 06-22-2011, 01:01 PM

812 posts, read 1,907,183 times
Did you actually visit Hickory or just Charlotte and its immediate burbs?

I have lived here for 5 yrs. And have been visiting since I was born in the early 70's! What exactly do you want/need to know about it?

I am not excited about the schools but mainly because the lack of options. I know relatives and friends with kids in the school system here and they are doing just fine. It seems to be what you make of it and parental involvement. We have all the basics. People are friendly enough. I like the proximity to the mountains but even in the extreme 90+ days it is still hot up there in the sun. We have season passes to Tweetsie.

I don't mind it here and can find plenty of things to do with young children. Not sure how kids in HS feel about it but if you can find a sport or extracurricular thing to get involved in I think they are entertained enough. Otherwise I notice them hanging out at the mall, walmart after hours and racing up Hwy 70 near the main drag between the mall and walmart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina