Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 02:25 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,844,856 times

Advertisements

Oooh, how could I forget Moe's Original? That place is walking distance from my house! Yeah, they have fantastic barbecue, and I love it because it's just like what I grew up eating in Alabama. In fact, their only stores are in Colorado, Birmingham, AL, and Asheville. Weird. But great BBQ!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 05:38 PM

13 posts, read 31,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Don't limit yourself to Asheville. There are some awesome places within a reasonable radius. You can't leave the area nevertheless without going down the interstate a short way to Saluda NC. Take a seat at the Green River Barbecue there in Saluda near the bridge and feast away.
Yeah, we won't limit ourselves to just Asheville proper. If ya'll have some recommendations for BBQ outside of (but near) Asheville, let us know!

Old 03-13-2011, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGosh Josh View Post
I'm kind of a barbecue snob, so I'll be writing up a big post here in a bit. Just putting you on standby, haha.
Can't wait to read it! Do it soon, 'cause we'll be in Asheville on Tuesday!

Old 03-13-2011, 05:53 PM

279 posts, read 533,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
Oooh, how could I forget Moe's Original? That place is walking distance from my house! Yeah, they have fantastic barbecue, and I love it because it's just like what I grew up eating in Alabama. In fact, their only stores are in Colorado, Birmingham, AL, and Asheville. Weird. But great BBQ!
That's funny. I can walk there too.

I was in there a couple days after they opened and there was a foodie tour group in there. The manager was nice enough to invite me and the boy to participate in the sampling. I've never tasted bbq like that before. Mayo-based sauce. Sounds gross, but it is not.

The shrimp sandwich and the catfish are quite good too.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:53 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,248,755 times
The best, imho, is DEFINITELY 12-Bones.
12 Bones Home —

Running second would be Green River BBQ in Saluda.
Green River BBQ | Serving Authentic Southern BBQ Since 1984!

Old 03-14-2011, 07:55 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Default a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halo_in_reverse View Post
12 Bones Home —

We would suggest trying 'em both -- and reporting back -- wouldn't we Halo ! Get the flavor of the Bar B Q and enjoy the "flavor" of both towns. Saluda being my fave, 'cause it's so danged cute.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halo_in_reverse View Post
12 Bones Home —

We will be stopping at Green River on our way to Asheville from the airport in Charlotte. We're looking forward to it!

Then, we will definitely try 12 Bones once we're in Asheville!

Old 03-14-2011, 04:12 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
You'll have an appetite; that is a lonnng drive "home". Safe travels.

Old 03-14-2011, 04:42 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,248,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
We would suggest trying 'em both -- and reporting back -- wouldn't we Halo ! Get the flavor of the Bar B Q and enjoy the "flavor" of both towns. Saluda being my fave, 'cause it's so danged cute.
Any excuse to go to Saluda is a thumbs up in my book - such a sweet little town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Barlow View Post
We will be stopping at Green River on our way to Asheville from the airport in Charlotte. We're looking forward to it!

Then, we will definitely try 12 Bones once we're in Asheville!
I warn you ... Green River isn't much to look at ... but man it's yummy ... well, now that I think about it .. 12Bones isn't much to look at either

Sometimes the best things can be found in the most understated of places

Safe travels.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:46 PM

358 posts, read 982,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Barlow View Post
Can't wait to read it! Do it soon, 'cause we'll be in Asheville on Tuesday!
I'm still planning on giving you a list and such, but here's a little personal review I wrote about Moe's for all my friends on Facebook. I figured I'd throw it in here, since someone mentioned it. Hope it's informative! I'll get my other writeup on here sometime tonight.

Quote:
So I went to Moe's Original BBQ tonight, which claims to be "Alabama style" barbecue. I don't know if their fare is truly representative of what you'd find in Tide territory, but here's my evaluation:

As a North Carolina native, I've been treated to some awesome barbecue throughout my 22 years of life. Until now, I'd never had Alabama style barbecue, so I wasn't sure what to expect. North Carolina created the food, so naturally we're the best at it, but I know other states like to try and compete. I strongly stress the importance of the word "try."

I got the pulled pork sandwich, along with mac n' cheese and baked beans.

-Sandwich:

The sandwich itself is decent, but there's definitely too much of an emphasis on the sauce, which tasted like a mix of tomato base and mustard base with extra, extra pepper. It was certainly a different flavor, but not bad. My only problem is that there was just too much of it. Which brings me to my next point.

I did manage to find a few pieces of pig that had gone untouched by the sauce, but I was a little disappointed in the actual flavor of the pork, because, quite honestly, there wasn't a whole lot (of flavor). So my guess is that they try to compensate for the lack of flavor in the pork with an oversaturation of sauce (a common tactic in the less 'cue-savvy states).

I was also a bit surprised to find pickles on my sandwich, as if it were a burger or Chick-fil-A sandwich. I dunno who decided to sneak those in there, but it was certainly my first encounter with pickles on my pork. So, just to clarify, pickles don't belong on barbecue...

Overall, the sandwich wasn't bad, but it certainly wasn't in the same league as what I'm used to, here in NC.

-Mac n' cheese:

This is the one item I can truly brag about. Talk about good, this mac n' cheese was delicious. It had just the right combination of a great cheesy flavor and a perfect chewy consistency. If you like good ol' Southern style mac n' cheese, this won't disappoint.

I'd go back for the mac, 'nough said.

-Baked beans:

Like the sauce on the sandwich, the baked beans were just a little too peppery. It was a good blend of seasoning, and tasted pretty good, but just a pinch less pepper and it'd have been very good.

So to sum things up, it was a good meal. If I weren't such a barbecue snob, I'd probably have no qualms. But, being that I'm a native tarheel, I'm inherently compelled to point out where other Southern states fail at trying to "improve" upon our North Carolina masterpiece.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina