Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 02:44 PM

13 posts, read 31,158 times

Advertisements

Hello - this is MR. Barlow here!

I've been making Carolina-style Pulled-Pork with the traditional Western vinegar sauce (ketchup added) out here in AZ for years. The thing is, I've never actually had the Real Deal: pulled pork in North Carolina.

My wife and I are visiting Asheville next week, and I'd like to know where we can go for the best, authentic Carolina pulled pork? Is there such a place in Asheville? I don't need ribs or anything else, just pulled pork sandwiches!
What can you recommend??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 02:51 PM

765 posts, read 2,569,346 times
I have been told by locals that the best BBQ in the area is at Rubys BBQ Shack in Haw Creek. Moe's Original BBQ on Sweeten Creek Rd is also supposed to be authentic. I have not had time to try out these 2 but I do like 12 Bones and Luellas will do in a pinch but I'm not sure how authentic they are.

Old 03-12-2011, 03:22 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,195,339 times
If you're looking for the real deal it's not in a restaurant, and definitely not in Asheville.

Old 03-12-2011, 04:18 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,881,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
If you're looking for the real deal it's not in a restaurant, and definitely not in Asheville.
Gotta LOVE these uplifting posts !

read the OP original request again, he is not asking for a real 'deal', just the right place.

sorry to Mr. Barlow, have no answer yet, but I am sure, there are more helpful recommendations coming up

Old 03-12-2011, 05:06 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,849,665 times
I think my favorite is either Fat Buddies or 12 Bones. The problem with 12 Bones is that it's always sooo crowded during tourist season (April-late November), and there's always a really long line. Still it's great barbecue. If I were you, I would go to 12 Bones and get a rack of ribs and a pulled pork platter and just split that with your wife. You will have to wait in line, but pick a day when it's nice out, and it's not so bad. Plus you can sit on the patio outside, and you're right there next to the French Broad River. Yeah, that's where I would go in Asheville.

Old 03-12-2011, 06:29 PM

358 posts, read 983,540 times
I'm kind of a barbecue snob, so I'll be writing up a big post here in a bit. Just putting you on standby, haha.

Old 03-12-2011, 06:35 PM

13 posts, read 31,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofbavaria View Post
Gotta LOVE these uplifting posts !

read the OP original request again, he is not asking for a real 'deal', just the right place.

sorry to Mr. Barlow, have no answer yet, but I am sure, there are more helpful recommendations coming up
Actually, I am looking for the Real Deal when it comes to Carolina pulled pork! I've been making pulled pork for so long, and the recipe is based on Carolina-style pulled pork with the Piedmont style vinegar sauce, so I'd love to be able to see how my recipe compares with the Real Deal.

Old 03-12-2011, 07:34 PM

765 posts, read 2,569,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Barlow View Post
Actually, I am looking for the Real Deal when it comes to Carolina pulled pork! I've been making pulled pork for so long, and the recipe is based on Carolina-style pulled pork with the Piedmont style vinegar sauce, so I'd love to be able to see how my recipe compares with the Real Deal.
Well, if you want the real deal head to Lexington, NC. But if you decide to go to 12 Bones one way to beat the line is to get the online menu and call in your order ahead of time, then pick it up at the take out counter--that way you bypass the eat-in line. Take your meal and head for the outside tables or find a spot down by the river

Old 03-13-2011, 07:47 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,552,885 times
Don't limit yourself to Asheville. There are some awesome places within a reasonable radius. You can't leave the area nevertheless without going down the interstate a short way to Saluda NC. Take a seat at the Green River Barbecue there in Saluda near the bridge and feast away. If you were coming in the summer, you would have to go to the barbecue cookoff held in Tryon NC every year, it's almost a religious experience. Google these two towns and have fun. But if you have to "settle" for 12 Bones, you'll be just fine.

I agree with Cofga on Lexington too ... don't make me drool Cofga.

Old 03-13-2011, 11:17 AM

221 posts, read 462,012 times
Ack! Not Ruby's! They must have changed ownership in the last couple years, because they have all kinds of championship banners on their walls but I have yet to find anything edible in that place (I live down the street, so we've tried them several times and finally swore never to return). They are fine for a late-night bar, but don't order any food!

The biggest problem with 12 Bones is the hours. Not open weekends, very restricted lunch hours during the week. But definitely worth the wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina