Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 10:05 AM

358 posts, read 982,593 times

Advertisements

To the original poster, you shouldn't worry at all about fitting in. For whatever reason, certain people would have you believe that we Southerners are some kind of inherently hateful and bizarre people. Luckily, that's not true.

Listen, you'll never have anyone discriminate against you because you're from New York, or the North East in general. The whole thing gets blown out of proportion on message boards like this one. People hold their tongue, but some (very few, actually) come to internet forums to vent their frustrations, which in turn makes an entire people come off as hostile.

The fact is, nobody cares where you're from. Half my friends are from other places, such as Philadelphia, New Jersey, New York, Massachusetts, Connecticut, etc. All of us locals are quite accustomed to outsiders moving in, and that's fine. Just use common sense and be respectful, which it seems like you are, anyway.

My buddy from Philly has lived here for about four years now, and he says that we (Southerners) get a really bad wrap up in the North East, for nothing.

I think you'll find that, besides our accents (of which there are many), we're really not that different from the people you know up North.

As for whether you should choose A.C. Reynolds or T.C. Roberson, I'd go with Reynolds. But, I am a bit biased, haha. Honestly, either school district is good. You might want to refer to this thread for a little more information. I gave some information in there, too. Reynolds' symphonic band is pretty awesome, by the way. We got to play at Carnegie Hall in my senior year. The year after I graduated, they went to China to perform. So it's a pretty awesome program.

A.C. Reynolds vs. T.C. Roberson

Annnd... there was something else I was going to comment on, but I seem to have forgotten what that was. I'll post again if I remember, haha. Anyway, I hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 03:53 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,468,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Andie McDowell, the actress lives in there and we see her in the markets around town. My neighbor was behind her in line at Earth Fare (a market on Rt. 25 in Asheville where the "best" people shop and others go to see them ... lol! ), and she railed on a young cashier with a "don't you know who I AM?" remark. That is the gentrification in B/Forest.
She moved to some mountain mansion in the country recently. Or she was suppose to, it was the the paper and all.

She has to be the meanest woman I've met. I'm younger and not a huge tv fan and had no idea who she even was at the time, just trying to be friendly. The next day was when the put that article about her moving in the paper and I went....oh. thats who that was.

And just an FYI: I would say any house under 600k in biltmore forest is in need of hundred's of thousands of dollars of work. People don't sell cheap in there without a reason for it.

Old 03-26-2011, 05:38 PM

54 posts, read 122,328 times
How can I find out which homes/neighborhoods are affected? I doubt a RE agent is going to inform me (why am I so skeptical?)

Old 03-26-2011, 05:50 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheRuns View Post
How can I find out which homes/neighborhoods are affected? I doubt a RE agent is going to inform me (why am I so skeptical?)
What do you mean "affected" ?

Old 03-26-2011, 06:14 PM

358 posts, read 982,593 times
Andie McDowell was going to my church for a number of years when she first moved here. Haven't seen her in ages, though.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:05 PM

532 posts, read 1,090,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
She moved to some mountain mansion in the country recently. Or she was suppose to, it was the the paper and all.

She has to be the meanest woman I've met. I'm younger and not a huge tv fan and had no idea who she even was at the time, just trying to be friendly. The next day was when the put that article about her moving in the paper and I went....oh. thats who that was.

And just an FYI: I would say any house under 600k in biltmore forest is in need of hundred's of thousands of dollars of work. People don't sell cheap in there without a reason for it.
Really?? I saw her in Earth Fare one day and she seemed perfectly nice. I didn't realize people went to Earth Fare to see other people, I don't really understand what that means. Anyway, it seems like she does a lot for rescue animals.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:47 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,468,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtercupMcToots View Post
Really?? I saw her in Earth Fare one day and she seemed perfectly nice. I didn't realize people went to Earth Fare to see other people, I don't really understand what that means. Anyway, it seems like she does a lot for rescue animals.
I didn't go to earthfare to see someone. I was sitting outside on the tables and mine happened to be in the sun, so I moved to a table that was shaded because it was hot. The people at the table next to me stared at me and I tried to be nice and say something like "man its hot today for spring" or something friendly. and they glared at me and turned around to face their backs to me. I've never been treated that rude before and then later on found out it was her and her high flatulent haughty taughty friends.

And she might walk the walk but she doesn't talk the talk when it comes to rescue. I do more for rescues than she does and she has a several thousand dollar purebred guard dog. Money isn't everything when it comes to animal rescues.

But anyways. What was someone asking about a Realtor disclosing? I'm assuming Mills gap? I believe they are working on a contract to clean it up right this moment which I am taking a guess here and saying that means they have to let people know about the contamination since its a known site.

Old 03-27-2011, 01:31 PM

765 posts, read 2,567,405 times
Don't expect a realtor to tell you anything other than what he/she has to about the house--they don't want to set themselves up for a lawsuit down the road. They generally are not experts on anything but the real estate laws and regulations and I wouldn't even go that far--only that they knew enough to pass the state exam. If you have a question related to the structural stability, contamination, sewer, well, septic or anything along that line they will tell you that is the inspectors job to warn you about. I also wouldn't expect them to warn you about the CTS contamination, so you need to make sure and ask questions of the seller as they are required to make certain disclosures--and if you do ask make sure it is in writing and the response is as well.

You may even want to walk around the neighborhood and talk to residents and ask them questions. When I bought my last house my wife's stepfather took a walk around the neighborhood and when he cam back he pointed out that many houses there had recently had to replace water lines. When I asked about it I found out that was a problem there since the development had been built during a copper shortage (1970) and the pipes were thin and poor quality so were failing all over the place there. I added that to my negotiations and also made sure that my homeowners insurance would cover that kind of problem,which it did whent he pipe failed a couple years later.

Old 03-27-2011, 02:20 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cofga View Post
Don't expect a realtor to tell you anything other than what he/she has to about the house--they don't want to set themselves up for a lawsuit down the road. They generally are not experts on anything but the real estate laws and regulations and I wouldn't even go that far--only that they knew enough to pass the state exam. If you have a question related to the structural stability, contamination, sewer, well, septic or anything along that line they will tell you that is the inspectors job to warn you about. I also wouldn't expect them to warn you about the CTS contamination, so you need to make sure and ask questions of the seller as they are required to make certain disclosures--and if you do ask make sure it is in writing and the response is as well.

You may even want to walk around the neighborhood and talk to residents and ask them questions. When I bought my last house my wife's stepfather took a walk around the neighborhood and when he cam back he pointed out that many houses there had recently had to replace water lines. When I asked about it I found out that was a problem there since the development had been built during a copper shortage (1970) and the pipes were thin and poor quality so were failing all over the place there. I added that to my negotiations and also made sure that my homeowners insurance would cover that kind of problem,which it did whent he pipe failed a couple years later.
Sorry, Cofga. You couldn't be more wrong on this. Realtors are professionals who work by a very strong Code of Ethics as well as the laws of the State of NC or any state they work in. The law is behind agents by about 2 paces each and every day; Realtors are well educated in their duties, pay a boatload of fees every year for continuing education and have to be on top of their game. Please do not tell the public that Realtors hold back any facts; it is their duty to know everything they can about what is going on in an area. If they don't know, they have to find out. It isn't as simple as passing an exam; and the NC exam is one of the most difficult in the country and not reciprocal with very many other states.

ANY material fact known to the Realtor, or should be known by the Realtor, HAS to be disclosed by the Realtor. If the homeowner does not disclose it on the disclosure form, and checks off "no representation", he is saying that he may know nothing, or not enough to give a yes or no answer.

It is also incumbent on the buyer to ask questions and get answers; and pay for a home inspection, or separate inspections as he sees fit. As of January 1st this year, the contract form "Offer to Purchase" contains a due diligence clause. The buyer MUST perform certain inspections by a date certain and put up a due diligence deposit. This insures that all inspections are timely done and all questions are duly answered.

Anyone can go to the NC Real Estate Commission website.

www.ncrec.gov and look at forms and have their questions answered to the Commission with a simple email.

thank you.

Old 03-27-2011, 04:02 PM

765 posts, read 2,567,405 times
Chic--well I was out with one last week who said basically what I posted every time we asked him a question about the place--ask the inspector! Also, a friend of mine recently found out that the realtor they had worked with at first and then the one that replaced her both had expired licenses, and this from one of the big 3 in town! What I have found is there is a big difference between what they are supposed to do and what they actually do. As usual it is let the buyer beware
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina